Garmin GPS62S

DEJUVU

Having read all the advice about backing up devices only AFTER screwing up my device completely!

The device works ok but it will not display my street level maps, only the major road maps it came with. The maps are intact on the Micro SD card but device will not display them.

I think I have corrupted the software somewhere along the line, I know I should have backed up but I didn't!

How can I get the original software back and in the right place. A factory reset does NOT reset my problem.

Everything else works ok, just no maps!

HELP PLEASE!

Did the maps on the Micro SD card work previously?

If no... Did you buy the maps on the micro SD card from Garmin, or a 3rd party such as eBay?

Some eBay copies of City Navigator are bootleg and known to not function or cause problems.

Are you sure that the map is enabled?

As well as checking if the map is enabled check the card is seated correctly. They can occasionally wiggle loose.

If seated correctly and the maps don't show in Settings then try removing the card, and booting the GPS without it. Then switch off, reinstall the card and switch on again to see if that forces your GPS to re-read the data from the card.

I had map display issues with my eTrex 20 and GPSMAP 62s when using OSM (OpenStreetMap) maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl.

In my case, I was using 3 separate maps, one for Ontario, Quebec, and New York.

In order for any of the maps to display, I had to enable all 3.

A friend of mine that has some involvement in OSM suspects there may be an issue with maps overlapping that is causing them to not display as expected.

Oddly enough, the same maps can be individually enabled and display fine with my Oregon 600.

Here's a silly question. When you say "they work in the Etrex 30", did you get that mapping micro SD card and unlock them in the eTrex 30? If so, there's your problem. You get one unlock for a single device.

It's been a long time - a very long time - since I used a Garmin map on an sd card, but it was my understanding that the sd card could be used with a different device. Perhaps that has changed. But I also wondered if the maps could be pirated copies sold on eBay that might possibly work with one firmware but not the other. In either event, however, the OP would get a message that the maps are locked - which the OP does not report being the case.

I wonder then if the maps are shown in the list of available maps and simply not displayed? Of if they are not shown at all? In the event of the latter I would try resetting the sd card, perhaps even taking the card out, restarting and reinserting after the unit is again turned off. Or I would test another micro sd card to see if that is recognized - perhaps installing an OSM map on another sd card to see what happens. It seems like the OP tried reseating, though and that they are listed and enabled.

Since it's likely the former, I might try a hard reset, reinstall firmware, or call Garmin tech support. Although I would still be interested in whether another map on another sd card would work with the unit. That might narrow down the problem.

The 62 Wiki has directions for resetting or reflashing the firmware, but I only have done the latter when my gpsr stopped booting up so it would be the "Hail Mary" type of play in the event everything fails and tech support wanted money for fixing it.

Edited by geodarts

You're correct, maps supplied on cards can be used in any device, assuming they are a genuine Garmin card with maps pre-installed. The OP though still hasn't answered the question, which map are we talking about here?

If it is a Garmin card copying to another card won't work as the maps are locked to the original card. If an OSM type map it would be worth transferring the files to a different card to see if that is the issue, although since they work in one GPS and not the other I don't believe that would help.

I think the advice of a hard reset is a good one, assuming of course as I posted earlier that the card is being inserted correctly, but the OP appears to have done this.

Makes me wonder if anything can be read of a card? If not the socket itself could be faulty.

I have tried my sd card maps in a friends device and they work fine, he puts his sd card in mine and no maps. Proving the fault lies with the unit and not the mapping.

The OP says the maps are from EBAY but are they genuine Garmin maps. The Etrex and 62S should read even non Garmin ( pirated ? ) maps....mine do....they can even be copied to other cards and read. Newer units , 64 etc , will not read these maps. To the OP, had you just recently updated the firmware on the 62 ? If so maybe Garmin is locking up those maps on older units when you upgrade firmware.

The problems started after I completed a software update from Garmin.

There customer back up is very poor. I explained the problem in full detail listing everything I had done (as in these posts). It took 4 days to get a response and they said try a reset. I had already said I had done that plus a cold restart. Not impressed by them at all. I expect I will now have to wait another 4 days for another silly reply. I need a firmware copy I think.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.