Geocaching.com site update May 30th 2013

Read the last update's Release Notes

Release Notes

The latest update to Geocaching.com will start rolling out shortly. Here are some highlights:

• You may help decide the next evolution of the geocache page design! A random selection of visitors to Geocaching.com will see new a geocache listing page design; sorry, no spoiler pics in these release notes. If the group reacts favorably, a new look to the geocache page could be introduced across the site in the next few weeks.

• A new Weekly Newsletter template is now being sent to those who elect to receive helpful emails from Geocaching HQ. Check your email preferences here: http://www.geocachin...lAddresses.aspx .

• Highlighted bug fixes:

• Placed date on cache listings can now be edited when owner's date preference is set to MMM/DD/YYYY (or DD/MMM/YYYY) format.

• Fixed printing issues with Geocaching.com map.

• Souvenirs are now correctly awarded when a log is edited, not just on initial posting.

You may help decide the next evolution of the geocache page design! A random selection of visitors to Geocaching.com will see new a geocache listing page design; sorry, no spoiler pics in these release notes. If the group reacts favorably, a new look to the geocache page could be introduced across the site in the next few weeks.

That's very encouraging to hear. A lot of people have been frustrated with Groundspeak for not taking their wishes into consideration, so this is a move in a positive direction. Is it possible this model could be used for future, less-major changes, or is this a one-off situation?

Souvenirs are now correctly awarded when a log is edited, not just on initial posting.

Nice! This has tripped up many people in the past who have then posted in the forums in confusion, and I had two cachers run into the same problem with my recent WWFM event.

You may help decide the next evolution of the geocache page design! A random selection of visitors to Geocaching.com will see new a geocache listing page design; sorry, no spoiler pics in these release notes. If the group reacts favorably, a new look to the geocache page could be introduced across the site in the next few weeks.

I sure hope we have some warning and it would be nice if there was a way to preview the changes. I'm sure there will be a number of pages that will be absolutely creamed by the changes and a fire storm of unhappy CO's posting if they are caught unaware.

It seems that there is a minor glitch with the new date logging format. Ive just tried logging a cache here in New Zealand and its the 31/05. I select that date when im logging my cache but for some reason, when i hit the submit button, the log date automatically changes to 30/05. Can this be looked into and fixed please, for us down here in the Southern Hemisphere?! Cheers!

So much for no spoiler pics, eh? <_<

I see the image has been edited out by a Lackey, but it was hard to tell what was actually a spoiler in their screenshot, because they already stated they're using GreaseMonkey add-ons. The things that looked different in the screenshot could have been from either the add-on or the site changes.

Haven't tried logging a find yet, but I like the new look. I'm sure there are those that won't like it, but then, they probably aren't happy that cities no longer have dirt roads and sidewalks made of wooden planks.

I happen to like that design as well. The Greasemonkey scripts getting broken is a fact of life. Hopefully when they nail down the new design, the helpful script writers will take the time to update. I know we had a period in the past where the scripts were getting broken almost every month and one of the authors of the more helpful scripts simply gave up, while another scaled back considerably. I would hate to see that happen again.

Redfist: What buggy behavior are you seeing?

Sorry - I realized that was a super short vague message. The appearance of the maps seems a little different which makes me think perhaps a different backend is drawing them. The most explicit buggy behavior I'm seeing is the close button on an individual cache's bubble description. The X is slightly misplaced (up and to the right) and I can't close the bubble. The only way to rectify that is to close the map and re-open/re-navigate.

Google is rolling out an update to the maps which as some new styling to them. We'll be fixing the style issue on our end in the next release.

In that respect, it looks like the map is using Google's new Administrative layer, which gives my city a bland greyish color as opposed to the white that I am used to seeing. I have seen a different version that simply uses the boundary lines without the shading. I also notice that the shading is the same color for my neighboring cites, so I don't see any demarcation between the cities.

As you adjust your styles, would it be possible to use the version that simply shows the boundary lines? The shading makes everything look rather bland.

I am not having any trouble clicking the X to close the bubble, but it still bothers me that the Groundspeak Google map is the only one that I have ever encountered where you have to specifically click the X to close the bubble. With every other Google map that I have encountered, you can close the bubble by clicking anywhere else on the map. This is true of Google's own test map which was given as an example, the last time I brought this up.

I can confirm what mike-miss is seeing. Here in New Zealand we can no longer log finds, notes, or anything, with today's date. We enter today's date, or select it from the drop down calendar, and the website changes it back to yesterday once we submit the log.

My understanding is that this is an existing bug in the iPhone and Android apps, and now it seems to have migrated across to the website too. I sure hope this will be fixed very soon! I don't want to have to be always caching yesterday.

I am experiencing a problem with my active pocket queries. When I click on the "preview in Geocaching maps" icon, it takes me to the map of my home location and stays there. It doesn't show my pocket query results on the map. I read somewhere that the latest update would fix this problem. Is there any information on this issue?

New design test page:

On the page of a cache you have already found you used to be able to click on the date found notation and it would take you directly to your past found it log. That is no longer available. The date is there but it is not clickable. To see a found it log I may have done 7 years ago I have to scroll through hundreds of past logs to get to it.

======================================================================

ALSO, I agree about the GPX button being incorrect. This one is even more critical as I use it every time a new cache comes out. Please fix that one.

Edited by cheech gang

Improved Pages: on owned cache page "View Review Logs" takes you nowhere and you have to relog into the system

"View Archived LOgs" not sure it is working either because I don't know what the result is supposed to be..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pages look nice, but the functionality needs to be there as well.

Edited by cheech gang

Not sure if this is update-related, but on the map, when I click off one type of cache, for example Mystery then the Wherigo gets switched off as well. Same for the green icons. I noticed that everything first worked out. Then I searched for another location on the map and it didn't work anymore. Restarting the browser did fix the problem until I searched for yet another town.

Redfist: What buggy behavior are you seeing?

When I mouse over a cache and open the data panel in the map view the background is sometimes white as was past normal, but more than likely is is transparent which, especially in satellite view, is extremely difficult to read.

274de2bc-bd18-4adf-950e-d14cabb604d8.jpg

Edited by edscott

I sure hope we have some warning and it would be nice if there was a way to preview the changes. I'm sure there will be a number of pages that will be absolutely creamed by the changes and a fire storm of unhappy CO's posting if they are caught unaware.

I will have a broken puzzle....

As of today 6/2/13 I still can not look at a map of my searches. Same problem a map of my current location shows but does not switch to the map of my search. I am Windows 7 and IE 10. Reading posts indicate this should be fixed?????

As of today 6/2/13 I still can not look at a map of my searches. Same problem a map of my current location shows but does not switch to the map of my search. I am Windows 7 and IE 10. Reading posts indicate this should be fixed?????

I'm not trying to be difficult but what does "a map of my searches" mean? That is something I've not seen on this site. What is it you are trying to do? Are you talking about a map preview of a pocket query?

I'm not trying to be difficult but what does "a map of my searches" mean? That is something I've not seen on this site. What is it you are trying to do? Are you talking about a map preview of a pocket query?

That is another way of saying it.

That is another way of saying it.

In that case, all I can really telly ou at this point is that it works fine for me although it takes a few moments. It starts with my local map and then automatically refreshes, after a few moments, to the PQ results.

If you are waiting for it but it still doesn't show up, the first things I would look at are any ad blockers, popup blockers, or other browser extensions you may have. Deactivate all that kinds of stuff and try again. If it works after that, you can start re-enabling those things 1 or 2 at a time until it doe not work again and that will tell where the problem is. Then you may be able to adjust some settings to allow it to work or tell the extension to disable itself for the geocaching.com domain.

You could also try another browser or two (firefox, chrome, etc) just to see if it works that way. If it does, that would indicate it is something to do with your IE settings. Speaking of that, there may be something in your internet settings in Windows that is catching you. Sorry, I don't know enough about how the map previews are generated to tell you specifically what to look for.

Good luck!

The problem with previewing PQs on the map with IE did not get fixed with the last update. They are hoping it will get fixed with the next update.

Has the May 30th update been withdrawn?

I get the following "signature" on the web pages: "Server: WEB14; Build: Web.HotFix_20130514.1"

I'm seeing this "Server: WEB21; Build: Web.HotFix_20130531.2" on an individual cache page. Are you sure you're not looking at cached page? (no pun intended)

Edited by GeoTrekker26

I really like the new design as well. It looks, for lack of a better word, snappy, and it seems to be much more intuitive. Showing that we had a DNF on the page has been requested for a long. Each time I become convinced that you guys are not paying attention, you throw us a bone. :)

Has the May 30th update been withdrawn?

I get the following "signature" on the web pages: "Server: WEB14; Build: Web.HotFix_20130514.1"

I'm seeing this "Server: WEB21; Build: Web.HotFix_20130531.2" on an individual cache page. Are you sure you're not looking at cached page? (no pun intended)

It wasn't an old page ("Your Profile") showing a find from today (June 3rd).

The server(s) seemed to go offline (map publes stoped working, now I, too, see WEB20; Build: Web.HotFix_20130531.2

New design test page:

On the page of a cache you have already found you used to be able to click on the date found notation and it would take you directly to your past found it log. That is no longer available. The date is there but it is not clickable. To see a found it log I may have done 7 years ago I have to scroll through hundreds of past logs to get to it.

I just experienced this as well and second this opinion. Being able to jump to your Found/Attended log can be VERY helpful.

ARGH - I logged the rest of my California trip last night - using the horrible calendar feature - (I don't care for that feature at all) I had to change the date on every single log (the date used to "stick" with the date I started with and I could log all from that same date without having to change the date EVERY single time.) SO I did all that - only this morning I looked at my logs and they ALL have yesterday's dates on them - I tried to edit one and it did not work - it still shows my log as yesterday along with two edits now. ARGHHHHHH help!

... it still shows my log as yesterday along with two edits now. ARGHHHHHH help!

You never have to have more than ONE edit for any log. Any log that has been edited will be identified as such. BUT, if you have to make a second or even a third edit, delete all the previously generated edit text at the bottom of your log before you re-submit. A brand new time/date stamped edit notice will be added again, but it will then be the only edit showing with the log. The most recent one only.

... it still shows my log as yesterday along with two edits now. ARGHHHHHH help!

You never have to have more than ONE edit for any log. Any log that has been edited will be identified as such. BUT, if you have to make a second or even a third edit, delete all the previously generated edit text at the bottom of your log before you re-submit. A brand new time/date stamped edit notice will be added again, but it will then be the only edit showing with the log. The most recent one only.

Oh I never even thought of that for removing prior edits - makes sense to me although I rarely edit more than once - THANKS!

The big issue here is the way that log dates are not reflecting what I actually entered - they are ONLY reflecting yesterday's date in spite of the fact that I hand entered each date on each log (that was a royal pain to have to manually enter a past date on every log - I mean who logs on the day you find them when you are on a road trip??? I don't usually have internet access or time to do that.)

Read the last update's Release Notes

Release Notes

The latest update to Geocaching.com will start rolling out shortly. Here are some highlights:

• You may help decide the next evolution of the geocache page design! A random selection of visitors to Geocaching.com will see new a geocache listing page design; sorry, no spoiler pics in these release notes. If the group reacts favorably, a new look to the geocache page could be introduced across the site in the next few weeks.

Hmmm, I couldn't view this new cache page design in Safari.

Not even in Chrome.

Then, when switching to Geico, err Firefox, I do see it.

Ramdom selection, by user? By bowser?

Anyways, nice addition! Very 'informative'! I like it!

Just one request: I would love to 'jump' to the specific log when clicking on the large icon image.

Thanks!

~ Dr.MORO