Help with trackables

Ok so after my geocaching day with Mr Pixieboots84 where he found his first cache and first trackable I now have a couple of questions, if someone would be kind enough to answer it I'd really appreciate it.

I know about geocoins and also travel bugs (which is what he found) but I have since been back to look at the info page for the cache we found and realised that another item we had a giggle over was actually a trackable item too. It wasn't a geocoin or a travel bug, it was a small keyring type thing made from soft plastic.

Can trackables be any item at all? I was under the impression they were either geocoins or travel bugs and therefore easy to recognise as trackables. Had it not been for the fact I went back to have a look on the info page I wouldn't have known this particular item was a trackable and could have accidentally gone away with it in my pocket as a tradable item - luckily I didn't!

How do you recognise trackables that aren't coins or bugs? I don't remember if we looked on the back of this item so don't remember seeing tracking info on it and it wasn't in a little plastic pocket.

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

To be a trackable at Groundspeak (this site) it needs to have "Trackable at Groundspeak.com" or "Trackable at Geocaching.com" on the item.

There are other sites that do trackables, but they are not trackable on this site...

One of them, that ends **** tag, makes multiple items that all have the same number.

A lot of cachers use them as a Signature item, to leave in caches. Treat it as swag and trade it. Trade for and collect 'em. Or leave 'em be!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

To be a trackable at Groundspeak (this site) it needs to have "Trackable at Groundspeak.com" or "Trackable at Geocaching.com" on the item.

There are other sites that do trackables, but they are not trackable on this site...

One of them, that ends **** tag, makes multiple items that all have the same number.

A lot of cachers use them as a Signature item, to leave in caches. Treat it as swag and trade it. Trade for and collect 'em. Or leave 'em be!

Thanks,it must have said trackable at ... on the back then as it is registered as a trackable item on this site. I don't remember looking at the reverse of it. A lesson learned as a newbie, examine every item closely! ;)