Garmin dakota 20 does not turn on

I assume you have tried fresh batteries. And it doesn't even turn on when plugged into the PC. Have you tried a different USB cable?

Flash memory doesn't last forever and can only take so many write and rewrite cycles before it gives out. But in general the memory should be able to hold up for about 5 years of regular use if not twice that. Does the unit show any indication that its trying to turn on?

Remove any uSD card that you might have installed.

Try pressing and holding a finger in the upper left corner of the screen while attempting to power on the unit. That's as close to a 'hard reset' as is available.

If your unit finally responds with a message "Do you really want to erase all user data?", you can release your fingers and reply in the affirmative.

Edited by ecanderson

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I certainly checked the batteries. I tried to remove the SD-Card and tried to turn it on with the finger in the corner, all without success. The unit does nothing, not even the slightest attempt to turn on. I don`t know if there is any way to get to the internal flash memory, but I guess if I take that out, there would be nothing like a firmware left.

I just found another topic (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=246342) in which somebody says: "Most common problem with a short drop is that the battery connection points have come loose. Easy fix." I`ll definitely try opening the unit and see if that my be the problem.

Edited by theanswersalwaysyes

"Most common problem with a short drop is that the battery connection points have come loose. Easy fix." I`ll definitely try opening the unit and see if that my be the problem.

If that was the only issue, your unit would power up when connected to a USB cable attached to your PC.

You are exactly right. I had a bit of hope again, but without success. My last hope is that I might find one with a broken screen to "marry" them together. But i am still open to suggestions of course, if anyone has an idea.

Insert the usb cable in in the Dakota, ONLY DAKOTA.

Push the on button and keep pushing

Still while pushing insert the usb to the computer

After about 30 seconds release the on button.

It should work by now.

If your computer sees the dakota, with windowd explorer remove all gpx files. (save the on the HD)

It should work by now.

If your computer sees the dakota, with windowd explorer remove all gpx files. (save the on the HD)

Tried it without success. The unit does not show any sign of life. Thank you very much for the idea though. What is this approach doing anyway?

Edited by theanswersalwaysyes

Today I just started having the same problem. I have had the Dakota for a year or so and this morning it just won't turn on. I have traied all the solutions mentioned here but to no avail. My Dakota is now nothing more than an expesive paperweight.

Anybody else had this issue and have a solution?

Cheers

Chezmartin

Hello, Not sure if this will help I have had the same problem with my Dakota 20 and Garmin Australia and the store I purchased it from have been less than helpful. Mine would see the usb connection, but not switch on. I removed the SD card then tried a bunch of fixes not sure any of them helped. Then I left the unit with the batteries out for a few weeks then by chance I tried it again today and it works fine? So if anybody has the same problem maybe try taking the batteries out for a while maybe 48 hours and see how you go?

It should work by now.

Wow! Thank you! This trick made my garmin usable again! It died two months ago on a trip: when opening the device, the screen faded/device shut down after few moments pressing the power key. I couldn´t get it open or connect it to the computer. It didn´t respond to anything I tried before, service would have cost way too much, so I basicly gave up already, but with this, my dakota woke up with the first try, ad now it works normally again. THANK YOU!