Garmin's Reply about BaseCamp Mobile App...

Heads up -- the other day I sent an e-mail in to Garmin's support center, asking about whether or not the BaseCamp mobile app would be updated and re-released; and/or if the features would instead be incorporated into the Garmin Connect app. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like either possibility is going to happen at this time. It sure was handy to send waypoints back and forth between the GPSMAP 64s and the phone app. Below is Garmin's reply...

-------------

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Happy to help, first the bad news. As of now there are currently no plans to either bring back the BaseCamp mobile application or integrate those features into our Connect application. On this side I will make sure your feedback is passed on. My suggestion to you however would be if you want to see these changes get the word out. I will include below a link to both our Connect forums feedback thread as well as our Garmin Idea's page. The more we see people requesting a feature the more likely it will happen.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?75824-Garmin-Connect-Mobile-Ideas-and-Suggestions!-(iOS-amp-Android)

http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

When I first got the Oregon 600, I was hoping that base camp mobile would allow me to transfer GPX files (with the full file information) from the iPhone - but the app was so limited I ended up leaving it on the phone only because Zi was hoping it might be updated to provide greater functionality. Although it would have been nice if they had done so, discontinuing the app seemed like an act of mercy.

The mobile wifi-router system on the iPhone (or an OTG cable with an Android) work fine for transferring gpx files, so I suppose there was no need for it, but it always seemed like it should be possible to do something with the Bluetooth greater than what Garmin allowed.

Edited by geodarts

I agree with everyone here that sending GPX data to your Garmin cloud account via BaseCamp mobile app was a great piece of functionality. Plenty of agency folks use Garmin's for collecting data. Having the ability to transfer waypoints and tracks to the cloud, and retrieve them on the PC without needing the GPS present was perfect.

Alas, fitness and geocaching seem to be the strategic focus when implementing new features and functionality. All the new devices implement Connect Mobile quite well. Field rats and those who use Garmin devices everyday for data collection at work make due with a good old fashioned mini USB cable.

Edited by yogazoo