How can I delete (nearly) all waypoints from Oregon 300 ?

Hi all :D ,

after I delete the caches out of my Oregon, there are still all the waypoint - how can I delete them too ? I mean other than deleting them one by one in the wayponint manager, since the memory os already full of those. I would like to let about 5 of the waypoints which I marked in.

Hope for your help :-))

Fluppo

Hi all :D ,

after I delete the caches out of my Oregon, there are still all the waypoint - how can I delete them too ? I mean other than deleting them one by one in the wayponint manager, since the memory os already full of those. I would like to let about 5 of the waypoints which I marked in.

Hope for your help :-))

Fluppo

You can connect to your computer and select just the ones from Garmin/GPX that you want to delete and keep the rest. It is much faster than using the keypad on the Oregon.
You can connect to your computer and select just the ones from Garmin/GPX that you want to delete and keep the rest. It is much faster than using the keypad on the Oregon.

2 questions

Where and how are the waypoints stored in the Oregon?

Can you do the above with a mac computer?

2 questions

Setup -> Reset -> Delete All Waypoints (on my Oregon 300) is done on the unit, not on a PC or a Mac.

I know how to delete all of the waypoints at once on the oregon.

But as the OP stated in the thread heading using the word (nearly) he doesn't want to delete all of the waypoints, just most of them and that's what I was looking for also.

I am not aware of any way of deleting "nearly" all except by doing individually through the Waypoint Manager

You can connect to your computer and select just the ones from Garmin/GPX that you want to delete and keep the rest. It is much faster than using the keypad on the Oregon

That's why I used the quote above as it sounds like the poster, ecanderson, knows something that we don't.

2 questions

To answer your first question, they are on the device in a file called:

Device/Garmin/GPX/Current/Current.gpx

However, I have no idea what happens if you try to modify that file.

You can connect to your computer and select just the ones from Garmin/GPX that you want to delete and keep the rest. It is much faster than using the keypad on the Oregon

That's why I used the quote above as it sounds like the poster, ecanderson, knows something that we don't.

You can do that with individual .gpx files but those are geocaches, not waypoints.

That does not work for waypoints. Once they get in, you MUST delete them on the GPS.

That does not work for waypoints. Once they get in, you MUST delete them on the GPS.

??? When I mark a waypoint, a file in the form of [drive]:\Garmin\GPX\Waypoints_12_MAY_10.gpx is created (assuming that's the current date).

If multiple waypoints are marked in a given day, each is appended to the existing Waypoints_[day]_[MO]_[yr].gpx file for that date.

That file can subsequently be accessed by PC and loaded into an appropriate application (e.g., Garmin's Basecamp is actually useful for this). In Basecamp, the waypoints will show up in the unit's inventory along with all of the geocaches related to the geocaches.gpx file - quite a mess, so it makes sense instead to just "File" / "Import" only the waypoints *.gpx file. Edits can then be made (including deletion of specific waypoint entries, or as the OP wishes, most of them), and the file is returned back to the GPS by Basecamp by "File" / "Export" (be sure to specify *.gpx, not *.gdb format). Export to the same filename (overwriting the original on the GPS) to keep it straight on the GPS.

Just this last week, I selectively deleted about 80 of 100 waypoints from a single day's file using just that technique.

Edited by ecanderson

2 questions

To answer your first question, they are on the device in a file called:

Tequila - see above on both the actual location and naming convention for marked waypoints ... and the file CAN be edited by an appropriate application.

When I mark a waypoint, a file in the form of [drive]:\Garmin\GPX\Waypoints_12_MAY_10.gpx is created (assuming that's the current date).

If multiple waypoints are marked in a given day, each is appended to the existing Waypoints_[day]_[MO]_[yr].gpx file for that date.

That is the way the Oregon 550 and newer units work.... With the Older units like the Oregon 300, the waypoints are stored in a hidden internal database that can only be deleted on the unit.....

You need to realize there are two different ways that the newer and older units work.

The current.gpx file is created when you go into mass storage mode. It is not used by the GPS in any form and changing it does not affect anything.

When I mark a waypoint, a file in the form of [drive]:\Garmin\GPX\Waypoints_12_MAY_10.gpx is created (assuming that's the current date).

That is the way the Oregon 550 and newer units work.... With the Older units like the Oregon 300, the waypoints are stored in a hidden internal database that can only be deleted on the unit.....

You need to realize there are two different ways that the newer and older units work.

Thanks Red90. I thought I was going nuts. I couldn't find the files he was talking about. Thx for info on the current.gpx file as well.

Geez, and the 450, the Dakotas, and ... sigh. Just got done in a 450 thread, saw 300 (in the title), and read 450.

Question for those of you using Basecamp though. Can't you selectively delete waypoints using it?

Only for the newer units 550/450/Dakotas, AFAIK. I assume that is why they changed the way waypoints where stored.

And the fun part is Mapsource has never been changed to easily work with these newer units. It is quite a mess...

Edited by Red90

The method I use is to connect my Oregon 300 to the computer running Mapsource, then download all waypoints to Mapsource.

Then after using select all remove the highlight from the waypoints I wish to keep. Then delete the waypoints on Mapsource leaving the ones that I had prevented from deletion.

Save this file as something like "Waypoints 13th May"

Remove GPS from computer then in Setup/Reset I Delete all waypoints.

Once that is done reattach the GPS and download the file you previously saved containing the waypoint you want.

It is a long way round but it works and you have a back-up should you accidently delete the waypoints on the GPS :blink:

I know this thread is already quite old, but I came across this problem quite recently with my Oregon 300. This is how I overcame the problem.

The Oregon 300 stores all waypoints in internal memory, not accessible from the outside. The only way to remove waypoints is through Oregon's interface, either by deleting them one by one, or by deleting all of them at once in the "System-->Reset" menu.

Every time the Oregon switches to mass storage mode, the internal memory is written to Garmin/GPX/Current/Current.gpx. This file contains (at least) waypoints and routes.

My first script creates a list of waypoint names from this file which you can edit in any text editor, removing all the waypoints you don't like, leaving only the waypoints you would like to keep.

My second script then extracts all waypoints from Current.gpx that are listed in that file.

Next reboot your Oregon and remove all waypoints.

After all waypoints have been removed, go back to mass storage mode and copy the extracted waypoints to Garmin/GPX/

Upon the next reboot only those waypoints will show up.

Please note that these waypoint files will only be read once after you copy them. If you want them to be re-read, for example because you have wiped all waypoints again, you will have to copy them again, or "touch" them to update the timestamp.

Before I paste the scripts here some words about why I ended up with so many waypoints.

Every time geotaod downloads geocaches for me, it downloads a considerable number of waypoints along with them. The easiest way to avoid this is to use "--format=gpx-gsak" instead of "--format=gpx". This will not download any waypoints that will fill up your waypoint memory.

jcs.

Script 1.

Under Linux call as

MakeWayPointList Current.gpx > wp_list.txt

The waypoints will be written to wp_list.txt

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use XML::Twig;

# Call as
# MakeWayPointList.pl <Current.gpx>
# or like this to use STDIN
# MakeWayPointList.pl
#
# A list of all waypoint names will be output to STDOUT.
#
# Note that the Oregon will read waypoint files only once. Therefore, if you delete all waypoints
# in the System->Reset menu, they will still be gone even after the next reboot.
# To have your waypoint files re-parsed, you'll have to 'touch' them to update the creation date.
# Alternatively just copy the files to the Garmin again.

#my $twig= new XML::Twig;
  # twig will be created only for wpt elements
my $twig= new XML::Twig (twig_roots    => { 'wpt' => 1},
  # handler will be called for wpt elements
                        			 twig_handlers => { 'wpt' => \&wpt_handler }
			 ); 

if( $ARGV[0]) { $twig->parsefile( $ARGV[0]); }        # parse a file
else          { $twig->parse( \*STDIN);      }        # parse the standard input

sub wpt_handler
{
my( $twig, $wpt)= @_; 

print $wpt->first_child('name')->text, "\n";
$twig->purge;
}

Script 2

Call as

ExtractWayPoints.pl Current.gpx wp_list.txt > MyWaypoints_DATE.gpx

Your selection of waypoints will be written to MyWaypoints_DATE.gpx

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use XML::Twig;

# Call as 
# ExtractWayPoints.pl <Current.gpx> <wp_list.txt>
# or like this to use STDIN
# ExtractWayPoints.pl <wp_list.txt>
#
# Only waypoints listed in wp_list.txt will be output to STDOUT.

die unless "$ARGV[0]" ne "";

# twig will be created only for wpt elements
my $twig = new XML::Twig (twig_roots    => { 'wpt' => 1},
  # handler will be called for wpt elements
                        			 twig_handlers => { 'wpt' => \&wpt_handler }); 

my %waypoints = ();

if( $ARGV[0] && $ARGV[1] )
{       # parse a file
read_waypoints ($ARGV[1]);
$twig->parsefile( $ARGV[0]);
}
else
{       # parse the standard input
read_waypoints ($ARGV[0]);
$twig->parse( \*STDIN);
}

$twig->print;

sub wpt_handler
{
my( $twig, $wpt) = @_; 

my $wptname = $wpt->first_child('name')->text;

$wpt->cut unless $waypoints{$wptname};
}

sub read_waypoints
{
my $file = shift;

open(my $fh, "<", $file) || die "Couldn't open '".$file."' for reading because: ".$!;

while(<$fh>)
{
	chomp $_;
	$waypoints { $_ } = '1';   # add name of waypoint to hash
#		print $_, "...\n";
}
close $fh;
}