Oregon 600 and 650 Rechargeable Battery Pack

I'm trying to decide between an Oregon 600 and 650. I don't need a camera, so the other differences are the memory and the included NiMH rechargeable battery pack with the 650.

The price for the battery pack if purchased separately seems high. It looks as if it's just two 2000 mAh cells strapped together. Is there any reason you can't use other 2000 mAh NiMH cells instead of the Garmin battery pack and still have the batteries recharge internally?

I bought my O650 for the extra memory and the camera. I eventually decided to try the battery pack and have never taken it out. When I get back from a caching session I connect my O650 to my computer to download finds and then just leave it connected. The batteries get recharged. When I head out again I then disconnect it. I also carry extra batteries in case the pack runs out. If you hunt around a bit you can find reports from users who have successfully strapped together higher capacity batteries. There is a small switch between the batteries that must be pressed to tell the Oregon that the standard NiMH battery pack is being used. This keeps the charger from trying to charge alkaline or lithium batteries.

I'll let you in on a little basic math secret here.

The battery pack that Garmin manufactures for the Oregon 6xx series is quite the excercise in marketting, no surprise, they *are* a corporation after all. At an energy rating of 2000mAh, the reality is this battery pack is only half the energy you'd get by simply using 2000mAh NiMh rechargables. I almost couldn't believe it myself, "surely they mean 2000mAh PER half" I thought.

Examining the pack though, you will see it's really just two AA's held together with a bit of plastic, and on each battery/side is the rating text:

"... Battery Pack Rating:

2.4V 2000mAh 4.8Wh"

Now, although they've cleverly printed this on each side/cell, the implication is absolutely misleading. AA batteries are 1.2V. It dosn't matter whether they're Alkaline, Lithium or rechargable NiMh, they're always 1.2V per battery, so a battery pack rated 2.4v and 2000mAh cannot possibly equate to more than 1000mAh per cell. Simple maths.

Anyhow, I received my Oregon 650 yesterday, and was surprised to find the battery pack only lasted about 5 hours. A quixk peek at the numbers uncovered why. Shame Garmin, shame. The two Eneloops I switched to, if i added them like Garmin does with it's "battery pack" equal a combined rating of 2.4V, 3800mAh and I'm not sure of their Whatt hourage, but you get the point. Get yourself some good 2000mAh NiMh's and you'll double your devices life on batteries: mathematically proven. [edited to remove inappropriate line]

It's really dumb, on Garmins part, to use cheap 1000mAh AAs to make their battery packs, because many users would quickly form the opinion that the Oregon is the greediest device they've used. The truth though, is Garmin's batt-packs are complete garbage.

I'm getting a cramp in my neck from staring down at my ipad acreen, but all you need to know about mAh is they tell you how LONG the battery will stay charged.

If you have a device that consumes 500mA, then it needs 500mA per hour to run. Now, two 2000mAh batteries will keep that device running for 8 hours, because ..

STOP, WAIT, I just remembered, that batteries that are parallel will add to each others mAh rating. Mm I'm wrong, now ai've typed all that out.

Batteries in series have the same mAh rating whether it's 1 cell or 6.

I don't want to delete the whole post now though, so zi'll just click submit.

Edited by BlueRajah
Edited to remove non family friendly posting

STOP, WAIT, I just remembered, that batteries that are parallel will add to each others mAh rating. Mm I'm wrong, now ai've typed all that out.

Thanks for all of that. I just looked at THIS and although you can't tell for sure, the fact that the batteries are diametrically opposed suggests to me that they are actually in series. You may still be on the money.

Hope your dog gets what she needs . . .

Edited by New Jersey TJ

Thanks for all of that. I just looked at THIS and although you can't tell for sure, the fact that the batteries are diametrically opposed suggests to me that they are actually in series. You may still be on the money.

Hope your dog gets what she needs . . .

Yeah the last realization was on the money, since they're in series, they're 2000mAhs each. If they were parallel, they'd only be 1000mAh each.

Each of them is a 2000mAH nexcell AA battery.

Well maybe I should complain about em to Garmin support, and get a fresh pair/pack sent out, because fully charged they only gave me 4-5 hours. Twice in a row too, and charged overnight. In the orning they were 4/4 indicator bars, just after lunch, one bar and a "Critically low" message.

Could just be the online store ai bought em from sold me old stock, but the unit was only released last year, so how old can they be, right?

Each of them is a 2000mAH nexcell AA battery.

Well maybe I should complain about em to Garmin support, and get a fresh pair/pack sent out, because fully charged they only gave me 4-5 hours. Twice in a row too, and charged overnight. In the orning they were 4/4 indicator bars, just after lunch, one bar and a "Critically low" message.

Could just be the online store ai bought em from sold me old stock, but the unit was only released last year, so how old can they be, right?

What were your backlight settings? If the backlight wasn't cranked up and on a lot, I'd call and ask to exchange it for a new pack.

I'm trying to decide between an Oregon 600 and 650. I don't need a camera, so the other differences are the memory and the included NiMH rechargeable battery pack with the 650.

The price for the battery pack if purchased separately seems high. It looks as if it's just two 2000 mAh cells strapped together. Is there any reason you can't use other 2000 mAh NiMH cells instead of the Garmin battery pack and still have the batteries recharge internally?

If you will get a small piece of hard plastic: about an inch long or less and 1/4 inch wide, you can save the 35.00 that Garmin charges. open your battery compartment, take out any batteries in it. Notice a small button between where the batteries go. place the plastic over the button and insert two chargeable batteries so that they press the plastic and thus press the button, and those batteries will be charged when they are plugged into the cig lighter or the computer.

If you will get a small piece of hard plastic: about an inch long or less and 1/4 inch wide, you can save the 35.00 that Garmin charges. open your battery compartment, take out any batteries in it. Notice a small button between where the batteries go. place the plastic over the button and insert two chargeable batteries so that they press the plastic and thus press the button, and those batteries will be charged when they are plugged into the cig lighter or the computer.

Yeah I noticed yesterday that my standard Eneloop NiMhs woukdn't charge and figured it must be something to do with the plastic connecter on the Garmin batt. Pack. I should also try the Garmin pack with the settings how they are, since I'm getting a good 15 - 17 hours from 1900mAh Eneloops, maybe it *was* the settings i had with the Garmin Pack installed.

AA batteries are 1.2V. It dosn't matter whether they're Alkaline, Lithium or rechargable NiMh, they're always 1.2V per battery,

Not true, but point about capacity taken . You'll find of those you listed, only NiMH are 1.2 nominal. Alkaline, and especially lithium, are a good bit higher.

AA batteries are 1.2V. It dosn't matter whether they're Alkaline, Lithium or rechargable NiMh, they're always 1.2V per battery,

Not true, but point about capacity taken . You'll find of those you listed, only NiMH are 1.2 nominal. Alkaline, and especially lithium, are a good bit higher.

Well outside of custom or specialty batteries, I've not seen a AA battery for years that's higher than 1.2V or says that on the label.

Anyhoo, I've got the Garmin Batt-pack in charging with the same settings I've been using with the 1900mAh eneloops, since i *did* have the backlight about 5o% when it arrived cos I was playing with it at night. I also had GPS+Glonass on the first few days, and found that even reduced the battery life of the Eneloops by several hours.

Well outside of custom or specialty batteries, I've not seen a AA battery for years that's higher than 1.2V or says that on the label.

Possibly because you don't see the voltage specified on the others. Old fashioned zinc-carbon and alkalines all have a nominal starting voltage of about 1.5V. A normal AA replacement lithium (Li-FeS2) will also be 1.5V nominal. Only NiMH and NiCd show a 1.2V nominal voltage.

Well P. since you mention settings a bit back... did you check that the settings you have for battery type are for nimh battries. IF you are set for conventional 1.5v batteries you will always get short life using nimh's.

Since it expects a higher voltage to show correctly on the bars. I noted that you say freshly charged nimhs only show 4 bars when fresh and probably drop quickly in use till it shuts down... so I suspect you are set for conventional cells (1.5). Check the settings. Then start diagnosing. Don't judge based on the life seen when batteries are shipped either... most tell you to fully charge before use, and that includes a little overtime.

I try running new ones through a maintainer/charger first, with good luck. Don't know about your charge in device setup though. I do know that I used to get lots of underperforming nicad and nimh batteries for free when people were dissappointed in them.

Doug 7rxc

Well P. since you mention settings a bit back... did you check that the settings you have for battery type are for nimh battries. IF you are set for conventional 1.5v batteries you will always get short life using nimh's.

Since it expects a higher voltage to show correctly on the bars. I noted that you say freshly charged nimhs only show 4 bars when fresh and probably drop quickly in use till it shuts down... so I suspect you are set for conventional cells (1.5). Check the settings. Then start diagnosing. Don't judge based on the life seen when batteries are shipped either... most tell you to fully charge before use, and that includes a little overtime.

I try running new ones through a maintainer/charger first, with good luck. Don't know about your charge in device setup though. I do know that I used to get lots of underperforming nicad and nimh batteries for free when people were dissappointed in them.

Doug 7rxc

Yeah it's been set to NiMh Batteries since i got it, since the Eneloops are also NiMh I saw no reason to change it.

Yeaterday, I started them charging in the early afternoon, then later at around 11pm they reported fully charged. So I unplug the charger (wall charger of course, since that provides 1A, more than my laptop USB), turn the O650 on, then make sure settings are right (Glonass off, backlight down to 5% or less, tracking was off since i set it to manual start, because there's no point having it record my movements all night or while I'm at home doong nothing) all the settings were the same as I've had em for the Emeloop 1900mAhs, and since it was late, I switched the unit off until morning. Had it on maybe 30minutes before turning off.

This morning, I boot it up, and after just an hour of sitting still on my desk, the battery's reporting 25% charge gone.

Course, none of this matters much, since I plan to grab a set of Eneloop xXx 2500mAhs when I'm out next, but I might's well email garmin anyway, since I'll be using the standard AA NiMhs so if they want em back, I won't miss em :)

Still though, I figured I'd give em another test with exactly the same settings i used with the Eneloops, and thry still look like they'll only last a few hours, with the same settings the Eneloops managed to do over 16 hours continuously on.

The ELoops are even 100mAh *less* than the Garmin Pack.