Need fast help with Delorme PN-60

Greetings everyone!

So I find myself in an odd predicament B) . I have used a Garmin E-Trex GPS until it recently gave up the ghost. Tomorrow I will receive in the mail a new Delorme PN-60 as a replacement. However I leave for Mexico in a few days (geo-caching including on trip) and have very little time to learn to use it. I am hoping to tap the knowledge base here and get some input on this unit.

What are the tips/tricks, do's/dont's, manual updates etc I will need to know or do before I take off to Mexico with it? Will I need to buy any additional accessories? I know it comes with a map pack that I will have to install. I am generally good at figuring out technical details, but with such limited time, I am looking for all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance...

Greetings everyone!

So I find myself in an odd predicament B) . I have used a Garmin E-Trex GPS until it recently gave up the ghost. Tomorrow I will receive in the mail a new Delorme PN-60 as a replacement. However I leave for Mexico in a few days (geo-caching including on trip) and have very little time to learn to use it. I am hoping to tap the knowledge base here and get some input on this unit.

What are the tips/tricks, do's/dont's, manual updates etc I will need to know or do before I take off to Mexico with it? Will I need to buy any additional accessories? I know it comes with a map pack that I will have to install. I am generally good at figuring out technical details, but with such limited time, I am looking for all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance...

Hello PN60 is a mature product and works intuitively well. It does a good job of routing here in the states, but I'm not sure about Mexico. It handles .gpx files differently and when you load gpx files on the Delorme, you may need to select a file because the gps may be pointed towards another file. When on the Geocache page, select MENU to see File... Select Open and select File. You can have numerous gpx files stored on the PN60 and chose which one you want to load, which somewhat frees you from having to go back to another SD card or laptop as often. Situational awareness should be exercised a little more. Hope you find some good caches.

Edited by Peoria Bill

Get the power pack with the rechargeable battery and the car charging cord.

I've never been to Mexico, but make sure to download the Mexican maps to the unit. When you put the South West and Mexico maps CD in your computer with your PN-60 connected, it should automatically ask you about downloading it. The maps that come on the unit are pretty sparse, so installing the maps from the disk are important. (Unfortunately, the label on the disk is a little discouraging about the Mexican maps -- "major roads" -- so it might not be that much of an improvement, but you'll be pretty close to a blank screen if you don't install them.)

After you've downloaded your pocket queries, plug the PN-60 into your computer using the Delorme proprietary cable and turn on the PN-60. If you come up with the screen saying "Internal Drive Connected", you're right where you want to be, but you probably won't. Most likely, you'll come up with a screen with 9 icons on it. If so, select "Settings". It should be on the screen, but if it isn't, use the arrow keys to move left or right and it will scroll to more icons. "Select" means push the enter button. (And remember where it is: the buttons will wear off over the first year, by which time you'll need to know which is which.) Then in the settings screen, scroll down to "Connect to computer..." and select that. At this point, you'll be on a box that says "Use GPS". This is confusing, because it's telling you that you are currently using the GPS. Push enter, and more options pop up. Select "Open Internal Drive", and that will take you to that "Internal Drive Connected" screen I mentioned at the beginning of the paragraph.

OK, now the PN-60 will look like a USB disk on your computer. Take the .gpx files from the pocket query .zip file and copy them to the "waypoints" directory on the PN-60.

Once you've copied all the PQs you want, eject the PN-60's USB drive and TURN OFF THE PN-60. The PN-60 won't notice the new files until you power it down and bring it back up.

Disconnect the PN-60, and then when you turn it back on, because it's not connected, it will take you to that icon menu again. (If you leave the Connect to Computer setting set to Open Internal Drive, whenever you connect it to your computer again, it will connect the drive again.) Pick the icon "Geocaches". You are now in the geocache list, but you probably won't see any because you haven't selected a PQ yet. Push the Menu button to bring up a menu, then select "File..." and it will show you all your PQs. Pick one, and the caches will be loaded. You're off! If you want to change to another PQ, just go back to the File menu and pick it. You have to switch from PQ to PQ, they don't add together. (Personally, I find that an advantage because I don't really want to deal with more than 1000 caches at a time, anyway.)

Greetings everyone!

Thanks in advance...

1) Charge up your old Eneloop AA cells or make plans to purchase new AA cells of some type.

2) Immediately install the Topo10 Mexico maps from the included DVD that contains the compressed map files for Mexico. If you have DVD issues (errors0, follow this link to download and install the semi-detailed Mexico maps before leaving the USA.

https://support.delorme.com/kb/11-topo-north-america-10

3) The rest, including possible download of geocaching GPX files to an SD card or internal memory directory named Waypoints, is just nuts and bolts. Good luck.

Thank you all very much for the information. My unit arrived already this morning and I was excited to get it up and running. I have already installed the map software on my PC and am ready to go. That was the good news, now for the bad. :unsure:

I can not get the PN60 to connect to either my PC or my laptop. I have tried on all 4 USB ports on my PC and both on my laptop. I have even taken the time to clean the contact points on the unit. Neither the map software nor this website recognize my unit. My guess is either the data cable is bad out of box, or my unit is bad out of box. Has anyone had a problem with this? I cant call customer support until tomorrow morning so I am sitting on my thumbs in the meantime.

It sounds like it is time to sign up on the Delorme forum. The link to the forum can be found from the Delorme dot com site. But do go into the PN-60 icon menu to Systems>>Settings to verify that the device USB power switch is ON. Also try installing new AA cells if you have not already done so to maximize the internal power that is available for cable data linking.

I confirmed the USB Power Switch was on and tried new batteries, no luck. I will just call support in the morning as it looks like the Delorme forums are a graveyard.

On a side note do Delorme units not like rechargeable batteries? Every set of fully charged rechargeable batteries I tried showed 10% power. I had to put in a pair of new non-rechargeable to get it to 80%... just curious.

Been a while since I used a DeLorme, but I think there's a "battery type" selection on one of the menus. It needs to be set properly for the the battery level gauge to work.

For the cable issue, one work around may be to copy data to an SD card in a separate reader, them put the card back im the GPS. That will get your data over, bit doesn't help if you were hoping to power the GPS from the computer.

Um, IS the cable delivering power to the GPS? If not from your computer, have you got any other USB charger that you could check it woth (many smartphone and tablets come with USB chargers). Do yu have access to a dofferent computer you could check it with?

Edited by user13371

Lithium primary chemistry AA cells have a reliable voltage curve in the 1.8v to 1.4v range. Other AA cells are typically much lower. The Delorme PN-40/60 will stay powered up for a few seconds - just long enough for the user to reset the battery type if you know what to do - if powered ON with NiMH or Alkaline AA cells while the device setting is for the higher voltage lithium primary chemistry cells.

As to the issue of USB cable contact issues for data transfer with certain computer setups, the original poster of this thread has now logged on to the Delorme User Forum and should receive commiseration over there.

I still feel there is an out of box failure here. Sad too because I wanted to geocache in Mexico...

To check out the geocaching features, put a formatted SDHC card up to 32GB in the PN-60 and power ON. Power OFF. Pull the SD card and copy a gpx file containing up to 1000 geocaches(less is better for testing) into the Waypoint folder on the SD card using a card reader or computer SD card slot.

Place the SDHC card back in the slot in the PN-60, replace the batteries, being careful with polarity, and Power ON. Open the geocaching file and see what happens.

As to the issue of USB cable contact issues for data transfer with certain computer setups, the original poster of this thread has now logged on to the Delorme User Forum and should receive commiseration over there.

I have received no commiseration over there. That forum is a graveyard :unsure:

I have received no commiseration over there. That forum is a graveyard :unsure:

Actually, plenty much help for mas problemos over there.....Google anybody?

Here is the solution given to someone with the same symptoms:

http://forum.delorme.com/index.php?/topic/21012-pn60w-not-seen-by-laptop/

Additonally, posts #10, 11 and 13 above are quite appropriate.

Adios, muchacho!

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

so actually that post doesn't help at all. My unit wont connect on one system and not another. It won't connect at all on multiple systems running multiple OS's. On USB ports that other pieces of hardware run on just fine. PC nor laptop even recognize that anything was connected. It's not a battery issue as I have tried multiple sets of new batteries. I appreciate the effort, but still drawing blanks.

Overall, it sounds like a bad cable. Unfortunately, the DeLorme cable is unique and the only place to get one is from DeLorme. Not like you can run over to any Walmart to grab a regular USB cable for testing/replacement.

And though it is PROBABLY the cable, you coudn't rule out problem in the device itself. Which means you have to call DeLorme and either have them send you a new cable (and hope that fixes it) or send the whole thing back for replacement. Time consuming.

As for salvaging your trip to Mexico and gepcaching - were you able to copy maps to an SD card using a separate card reader? Were you able to test the cable connection at least for power by plugging it into some other kind of USB charger apart from a computer? Amd did you check the battery type setting just to see if it straightened out your question about rechargeables showing correct level on the battery guage?

PS - "lack of comiseration" on Delorme's forum ... Though hosted by DeLorme, it's mostly frequented by a small number of diehard fans. The level of help you get in any problem will vary widely. Calling the real DeLorme support line is more useful.

Edited by user13371

so actually that post doesn't help at all. My unit wont connect on one system and not another. It won't connect at all on multiple systems running multiple OS's. On USB ports that other pieces of hardware run on just fine. PC nor laptop even recognize that anything was connected. It's not a battery issue as I have tried multiple sets of new batteries. I appreciate the effort, but still drawing blanks.

The urgency of the OP's time frame for a geocaching trip to Mexico seems to have shifted from "a couple of days" to a couple of weeks, based on posts here and on the Delorme forum.

Nevertheless, the technical info in the above responses is not necessarily time sensitive. The Delorme PN-60 with current firmware design can be used as a standalone unit by transferring data, geocaching, and map files to and from the computer to the gps device with an SD card reader.

But do note that it is not possible to transfer road routes or trail routes created on the computer to the device by SD card. Those route files must be copied via the proprietary usb cable to PN-60 internal memory in proprietary format via the Delorme Topo App Sync features. But there are sufficient routing capability on the device for typical geocache search operations. It remains to be seen if the OP will report having climbed the learning curve successfully so as to be able to use the device in the field without repairs or an umbilical cable.

---Issue resolved I called support and they immediately deciphered the issue. The serial cable was about the width of a fingernail from being fully pushed into place. After firmly (and I do mean firmly) pressing the cable, it moved the last 1/32 of an inch and the PC immediately recognized it. They told me they get a lot of calls with this problem, so please keep it in mind the next time someone has this problem and posts for help.

---As for the time frame for my Mexico trip, I leave in 3 days, but wont be using the unit till 10 days from now for geo-caching (On the island of Cozumel). I will be spending this evening trying to learn the ins and outs of the unit before I go. Additionally I do not have an SD card reader so caches will have to be loaded before I go or take my laptop which I dont want to do.

Thanks for all the information everyone!!

Whew!!!

OK,non-technical issue. Searching for a geocache can be construed as a suspicious activity. Some local caches have been the subject of 911 calls. I was stopped and checked out by the police in Costa Mesa, CA. In response to my answer to their question of what was I doing, they had never heard of geocaching. Well....they shortly decided that I was doing nothing illegal and they left without cuffing me and taking me with them. However, I would never geocache in Mexico.

Buena suerte and tenga cuidado!

There is absolutely no reason why one would not go geocaching in Mexico. The issues are the same as in the US. A tourist walking around with an electronic device is going to be treated with the same suspicion in Mexico as in most places in the US. Every state in the US and Mexico has it's "don't go there" places. Mexico is a very large country, and there are many places to go explore. Generally local geocachers won't set caches into places where they should not take others. My sense is that the percentage of placements that take you to interesting spots is much greater there than in the US. If a cacher errs on the side of the "adventurous" then the logs will give you hints as to what you are likely to encounter. My experience with Mexico is that it is a great place to go and there are many friendly persons. But there are fewer geocachers and thus also fewer geocaches. If there is any aprehension about caching in Mexico then look at the map and see what is there; if there are a few clusters of geocaches at your destination, then read the descriptions and if you note that many belong to one particular geocacher, then contact that person. You may well make a new friend.

Edited by Hynr

Is the DeLorme MapPack Subscription worth it? I am leaning towards getting a subscription, but want to get input from those that have used it.

Also everyone's instructions were spot on! I have downloaded local to me maps on my GPS and the area in Mexico I am going. I created two pocket queries, one for mexico, and one local to me and am waiting for them to be emailed to me from geocaching.com. I uploaded one pocket query I had for the route between my house and my parents and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by cobalt_abyss

Is the DeLorme MapPack Subscription worth it? I am leaning towards getting a subscription, but want to get input from those that have used it.

Netlink downloads from Delorme are a more than fair value at the price, but given your sense of urgency for the next "couple" of weeks IMHO you should postpone even thinking about the process until your return from your trip.

I got a year subscription to maps for free with my PN-60, and it was cool, but it wasn't useful enough for me to renew it.

They're called "maps", but what I found useful were the space images. They do have topo maps, and I downloaded them for a while, but I don't actually use them. Oddly, you can't get updated versions of the maps you get on the disk. I got the same maps with my PN-60 that I got in 2010 with my PN-40.

Also everyone's instructions were spot on! I have downloaded local to me maps on my GPS and the area in Mexico I am going. I created two pocket queries, one for mexico, and one local to me and am waiting for them to be emailed to me from geocaching.com. I uploaded one pocket query I had for the route between my house and my parents and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again everyone!

Remember to set the cache count to 1000 on the PQ instead of leaving it at the default of 500. The PN-60 can handle 1500 caches, so asking for a maximum sized PQ of 1000 gets you twice as many caches. The PN-60 is sufficiently fast that it can handle 1000 caches as easily as 500. I thought of that because if you do that, the PQ won't be sent to you in the e-mail: you need to download it from the web, instead.