How to "give" TB to friend?

kamariden

First off, trackables are still a bit confusing for me, so please be patient. That said, I have managed to find and officially log the find of a particular travel bug. I happen to have a friend visiting from several hours away and I thought it would be fun to give her the travel bug so she could place it in a cache when she goes home (tomorrow). That way the bug will get a ton more miles than I could give it locally. So my question is, how do I officially (online) transfer the trackable from my "possession" to hers so that she can officially "drop" it in whichever cache she winds up at? I swear I read somewhere about how to do this, but it was months ago and now I can't seem to find the information. If someone could explain or provide a link to a how-to or something, that would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

First off, trackables are still a bit confusing for me, so please be patient. That said, I have managed to find and officially log the find of a particular travel bug. I happen to have a friend visiting from several hours away and I thought it would be fun to give her the travel bug so she could place it in a cache when she goes home (tomorrow). That way the bug will get a ton more miles than I could give it locally. So my question is, how do I officially (online) transfer the trackable from my "possession" to hers so that she can officially "drop" it in whichever cache she winds up at? I swear I read somewhere about how to do this, but it was months ago and now I can't seem to find the information. If someone could explain or provide a link to a how-to or something, that would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)

Is she already a cacher?*

If so, all she needs to do is "Grab" the TB from you.

*It's not good to give non-cachers TB's to move, however good your intentions are.

Please only do this if you trust the person 100%. My wife had a friend from college at home visiting and my wife gave her a trackable to take back with her to Germany. Needless to say she never "grabbed" it or dropped it off (that we are aware).

Trust isn't good enough... IMO.

If the person isn't a geocacher then one shouldn't "trust" their ability or desire to do what needs doing.

Have seen this thousands of times, within and without of geocaching.

By picking up the Trackable, you have accepted a responsibility. That responsibility should never extend to placing it into the hands of a non-cacher.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If the person isn't a geocacher then one shouldn't "trust" their ability or desire to do what needs doing.

By picking up the Trackable, you have accepted a responsibility. That responsibility should never extend to placing it into the hands of a non-cacher.

She told my wife she was a geocacher / had been caching. Once she got back to Germany she asked my wife how to find caches in the area. :blink:

She told my wife she was a geocacher / had been caching. Once she got back to Germany she asked my wife how to find caches in the area. :blink:

So much for trust. It seems the "friend" lied.

I guess the trust was given, but not earned.

Sorry I took so long to reply. Yes. She is a cacher and as the legal guardian of my children should anything happen to myself and my husband, uh yeah, I totally trust her. :) So we are good on both counts. It's just that she is a newbie cacher. She has only been caching since January and I think this is her first trackable. She just emailed that she is planning to drop the trackable this week and was wanting to know about the online stuff she has to do to show she has it to drop. So...

I know you all said she could "just grab it from you" but what *exactly* does that mean? Can someone explain the steps? What link/section of the site do I have her start with? TIA! :D

ETA: Wait, I think I've figured it out. It's basically the same thing I did when I "retrieved" it from the cache online and added it to my inventory list, right? What this page says: http://www.geocaching.com/track/howto.aspx

Edited by kamariden

Sorry I took so long to reply. Yes. She is a cacher and as the legal guardian of my children should anything happen to myself and my husband, uh yeah, I totally trust her. :) So we are good on both counts. It's just that she is a newbie cacher. She has only been caching since January and I think this is her first trackable. She just emailed that she is planning to drop the trackable this week and was wanting to know about the online stuff she has to do to show she has it to drop. So...

I know you all said she could "just grab it from you" but what *exactly* does that mean? Can someone explain the steps? What link/section of the site do I have her start with? TIA! :D

ETA: Wait, I think I've figured it out. It's basically the same thing I did when I "retrieved" it from the cache online and added it to my inventory list, right? What this page says: http://www.geocaching.com/track/howto.aspx

Once your friend knows the tracking number of the trackable (the number that's actually stamped on the trackable), she can use that number to log the trackable. She will have the options to "Retrieve" (take it out of a cache it's currently logged in), "Drop" (place it in a cache), or "Grab" (take it directly from the inventory of another cacher.

In this case, if the trackable is currently showing to be in your possession, she would log a "Grab" to get it from you them log a "Drop" in whatever cache she places it in.

Once your friend knows the tracking number of the trackable (the number that's actually stamped on the trackable), she can use that number to log the trackable. She will have the options to "Retrieve" (take it out of a cache it's currently logged in), "Drop" (place it in a cache), or "Grab" (take it directly from the inventory of another cacher.

In this case, if the trackable is currently showing to be in your possession, she would log a "Grab" to get it from you them log a "Drop" in whatever cache she places it in.

It is important to note that the "Grab" is logged from the trackable's page, but the "Drop" is logged when logging the Find or Note on the cache where it is placed. Go figure.