6.25 km. from the cache

-CJ-

Saw a couple online logs of this sort (on traditional caches): "Logged with GeoCaches iOS application, 6.25 km. from the cache".

I have had no experience with this application. What does such a log mean?

I do not think it is an issue related to the app.

The cacher either has not found the cache or means something like he walked 6.25 km (maybe from cache to cache?).

Saw a couple online logs of this sort (on traditional caches): "Logged with GeoCaches iOS application, 6.25 km. from the cache".

The cacher either has not found the cache or means something like he walked 6.25 km (maybe from cache to cache?).

Could be the App, it's not unusual for the android version to have a hissy fit as you go between screens and accuracy plummets to ridiculous numbers like 11 or 25 km before recomposing it self again. It could have been logged while it was still finding itself.

Could be the App, it's not unusual for the android version to have a hissy fit as you go between screens and accuracy plummets to ridiculous numbers like 11 or 25 km before recomposing it self again. It could have been logged while it was still finding itself.

You can say that again. I was in rural kentucky caching and it decided to put me in someone's backyard in California.

It sounds like he went to the cache, found it, hiked back out, and logged it on his phone later on. To me, it sounds like an automatic thing the app puts in the log - it determines where you are in relation to the cache when you log it on the phone, and adds the distance info to the post.

I could be wrong, but why would someone blatantly say, "I'm logging this from 6 km away. Yeah, I'm an idiot who didn't get close to the cache and is letting the world know that"?

Seems that the app itself adds that information. And it says exactly what it does, where the log was posted. I've seen this in various countries, not only on geocaching.com. No cell reception - no 'FTF. Logged with GeoCaches iOS application, 31 m. from the cache".

You always wait until you are at home? Do this a few times, use this app and everybody will know where you live. ;)

Strange feature to add the location where you logged the cache (online), but convenient for all players who want to show they are logging immediately, box still open. :cool:

Seems that the app itself adds that information. And it says exactly what it does, where the log was posted. I've seen this in various countries, not only on geocaching.com. No cell reception - no 'FTF. Logged with GeoCaches iOS application, 31 m. from the cache".

You always wait until you are at home? Do this a few times, use this app and everybody will know where you live. ;)

Strange feature to add the location where you logged the cache (online), but convenient for all players who want to show they are logging immediately, box still open. :cool:

Once upon a time, mainly for the first 8-9 years of Geocaching's existence, everybody went home to log their finds. :P

It is a strange feature, but I'm sure there's a way to turn it off. By the way, for anyone who is not following along closely enough, the app is called GeoCaches, and it's a free app for ios. Which will probably soon be added to the list of things we're not allowed to talk about. :ph34r:

Once upon a time, mainly for the first 8-9 years of Geocaching's existence, everybody went home to log their finds. :P

It is a strange feature, but I'm sure there's a way to turn it off. By the way, for anyone who is not following along closely enough, the app is called GeoCaches, and it's a free app for ios. Which will probably soon be added to the list of things we're not allowed to talk about. :ph34r:

The nicest part of my geocaching day is logging my finds at home and in the late evening. I often invite a couple of friends along....Glen Fiddich and Johnnie Walker.

The nicest part of my geocaching day is logging my finds at home and in the late evening. I often invite a couple of friends along....Glen Fiddich and Johnnie Walker.

Don't forget Mr Daniels, and Jose Cuervo.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Don't forget Mr Daniels, and Jose Cuervo.

Does the presence of these friends usually result in the logs being longer or shorter than usual? And do any of the friends participate in any of the caching activities (in which case their opinions could be added to these log postings)?

:ph34r:

Depends on friends. My companions, Mr Jameson, Mr Bushmills and Mr Tullamore, are all great guys but after some years of our friendship I noticed that they demand more time to spend with them to make their geocaching logs really nice and funny.

Back to the original question, thanks to all for your comments. As I understood, no one ever tried this app to be sure about what it was doing. The most probable variant is that it automatically logs the distance from the cache while adding logs to the website.

I don't know how much you guys are kidding around or not, but I absolutely sit down with a beer or two while logging 10 or 12 caches from a Saturday or Sunday caching outing. Not that that happens very often any more.

And I strongly suspect that it isn't some guy named Bud Weiser that helps you with your logging. I also enjoy a beer or two when sitting down to log a few caches. If' I'm finished logging caches, but the beer isn't finished, I can continue to drink it while reading/posting on the forums. Thanks or reminding me that I need to pay a visit to the craft beer store downtown.

I don't know how much you guys are kidding around or not, but I absolutely sit down with a beer or two while logging 10 or 12 caches from a Saturday or Sunday caching outing. Not that that happens very often any more.

And I strongly suspect that it isn't some guy named Bud Weiser that helps you with your logging. I also enjoy a beer or two when sitting down to log a few caches. If' I'm finished logging caches, but the beer isn't finished, I can continue to drink it while reading/posting on the forums. Thanks or reminding me that I need to pay a visit to the craft beer store downtown.

Just as long as it isn't Keystone. :unsure: