Map "improvements" and premium caches?

GeekKitty

Has the map view on the geocaching.com site been recently "improved"? I just looked and saw loads of new caches in my local area, but when I click on them they all seem to be premium member only caches. Thing is there is no way of know from the icons on the map which are premium and which are not, also which ones I've found and which ones I haven't anymore. Did someone break something? or is this a new "improved" version?

I've also discovered that my favourite series of caches hasn't been archived as I thought, but is now premium members only. Wouldn't have known were it not for the map changing. I was planning on putting the cache series back in place and was sourcing containers.

It used to be that you could clearly see from the map view which caches you had found, which were for mortals, and which were for premium members only, now you can't tell the difference. Argh!

gcmapscreenshot.png

Some of these caches I've found, some are premium, some are normal. Wouldn't know which from the map view :(

J

On my map view it is still the same: Any PMO cache is a round icon, and standard caches are the rounded square icon.

Are you signed in? There's a chance you might not be. If you are looking at a map where you have found caches, it should appear with the smiley "found it" face.

472b8681-6fdd-4d69-8e95-9264b62962a8.jpg?rnd=0.6632504

Edited by NeverSummer

You are no longer a premium member, correct? You show as one here in the forums, but that takes a long time to update. Weeks probably. I do not believe basic member can distinguish them on the map. Additionally, that looks like an open street map map you've posted, and basic members get that, and not a Google map.

They used to be round rather than square, correct? At the proper zoom level, of course.

If you're not seeing Smiley's on your Founds, then you're logged out.

No, I'm quite sure they're no longer a premium member per their profile (not what it says in the forums), and that is an open street map. I know these things, I have a basic member sock puppet account. :P

Forums show you to be PM, your profile shows you as Regular Member. Forget your dues, did you?

No, a friend gave me premium membership as a gift. I can't justify the cost of it at the moment, so have to make do with the basic membership. I hadn't realised that a lot of the local caches seem to be going PM only of late, I thought the cache count had been going down.

Looks like I won't be caching much until I can find some spare cash.

J

You are no longer a premium member, correct? You show as one here in the forums, but that takes a long time to update. Weeks probably. I do not believe basic member can distinguish them on the map. Additionally, that looks like an open street map map you've posted, and basic members get that, and not a Google map.

They used to be round rather than square, correct? At the proper zoom level, of course.

It's the open cycle map render. I prefer it to the maps available as a basic member.

I seems that the map had logged me out, I hit refresh and all the caches have disappeared, and my finds are showing up.

Forums show you to be PM, your profile shows you as Regular Member. Forget your dues, did you?

No, a friend gave me premium membership as a gift. I can't justify the cost of it at the moment, so have to make do with the basic membership. I hadn't realised that a lot of the local caches seem to be going PM only of late, I thought the cache count had been going down.

Looks like I won't be caching much until I can find some spare cash.

J

I'm still confused. Although you have verified you are no longer a premium member, I personally do not see PMO caches at all when logged in with a basic member account! I'd gift you one, but I've found you can only pay for a full year $30 premium membership as a gift, as opposed to a $10 3 month membership. Perhaps Roman! will hold another contest and give one away though. :P

I'm still confused. Although you have verified you are no longer a premium member, I personally do not see PMO caches at all when logged in with a basic member account! I'd gift you one, but I've found you can only pay for a full year $30 premium membership as a gift, as opposed to a $10 3 month membership. Perhaps Roman! will hold another contest and give one away though. :P

Thank you for your kind offer. I'm not sure what's going on either. I hit refresh and all the caches disappeared. Back to the dark ages for me.

J

I would imagine GeekKitty wasn't logged in - or the site was rendering a version of the map of the kind you get if you're not logged in for some reason - perhaps a browser cache or something.

Using a list view will show up that premium member only caches are still in place of course. Given that GeekKitty is in the UK they might want to use the GME plugin thingummy (there's a thread in the UK forum) which would throw OS maps over the top of the map - and allow a click to launch a list of caches from any point on the map. Which is really handy if you suspect premium member only caches.