The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

As the other quiz thread was closed 'in mysterious circumstances', the question from SlytherinAlex was "Who/what is the most photographed person/object in the world. Each day - every day."

Dorsetgal & GeoDog (but mostly Dorsetgal) suggested the Statue of Liberty. Of which there are many... :laughing::P

Quickie edit: The original thread is here

Edited by Simply Paul

Not the Queen or the President.

It's not generic such as "babies" - Its a specific person/thing. But there are multiple instances in the world. It's hard to give clues without giving it away.

and I'm pretty sure that many of you will have taken a picutre or had your picture taken with him/her/it. I know I have.

a.

Not the Queen or the President.

It's not generic such as "babies" - Its a specific person/thing. But there are multiple instances in the world. It's hard to give clues without giving it away.

and I'm pretty sure that many of you will have taken a picutre or had your picture taken with him/her/it. I know I have.

a.

C asks is it Mickey Mouse? Neither of us have had our picture with him if it is :(

C asks is it Mickey Mouse? Neither of us have had our picture with him if it is :(

CORRECT.

Mickey is in multiple location at each of the Disney parks and has his picture taken a couple of times a minute in each location. So on any day I reckon there are at least 20 Mickeys being photographed almost non-stop.

a.

Did I hear a ding? :(

My question for a change:

Velcro... who, where, when and why and where does the name come from?

To get the ding all must be correct (when can be within the decade) and we will say how many are correct each time but not which ones.

Let the guesses commence... unless you know all the answers of course :)

Carolyn

Edited by T-girls

Velco - must have been before '68, because it's seen in 2001, a Space Odyssey. I'd guess at the 50s. I think it's a Dupont product (like Lycra) and I think they're in California somewhere. Why? Because it looked like a commercially viable product, I suppose :(

Dong... none right at all. You fell into my trap :)

European in origin, French or Swiss (?) , inspired by nature, can't recall which plant, the name is a combo from two words meaning something like velvet crochet (hook), the shape of the plant that inspired it.

Sorry not too hot on the details tho. :(

Well done... two right, one needs a bit more detail but along the right lines :)

Must be that plant we loved as kids, when we played in the local fields, the 'sticky buds' would get tangled in clothes and hair and take ages to remove. We even have 'sticky bud' battles and throw them at each other. They looked like little thistle heads.

Waaaahhhhh why did I have to grow up !!!

Teasel perhaps.

Must be that plant we loved as kids, when we played in the local fields, the 'sticky buds' would get tangled in clothes and hair and take ages to remove. We even have 'sticky bud' battles and throw them at each other. They looked like little thistle heads.

Waaaahhhhh why did I have to grow up !!!

Right idea but I would like the specific name of the plant for the answer to that part of the question :rolleyes:

Edited by T-girls

Did I hear a ding? :rolleyes:

My question for a change:

Velcro... who, where, when and why and where does the name come from?

To get the ding all must be correct (when can be within the decade) and we will say how many are correct each time but not which ones.

Let the guesses commence... unless you know all the answers of course :o

Carolyn

So far Dorsetgal & Geodog have two parts and the Forester has one.

Hmmm...

This is more a general comment on questions of late, not specifically aimed at the current question.

Is anyone REALLY likely to know all the parts of this question without googling/searching wikipedia or whatever?

Using this question purely as an example, "where", "when" and "why" are all guessable/deducible, but "who"? How may people could possible know the persons name?

Hmmm...

This is more a general comment on questions of late, not specifically aimed at the current question.

Is anyone REALLY likely to know all the parts of this question without googling/searching wikipedia or whatever?

Using this question purely as an example, "where", "when" and "why" are all guessable/deducible, but "who"? How may people could possible know the persons name?

Some times it's quite surprising what someone will know.

I was hoping that the question was going to produce all the urban myths surrounding the product and I wasn't going to leave people up in the air with the guesses hence the reason why I've been checking the forum frequently. if someone gets close enough with all the guesses I will give them the ding.

If anyone else has problems with my question I'll withdraw it but could I point out that there are no such things a difficult or hard questions you either know the answers or not.

Sorry if I have upset the game :rolleyes:

Carolyn

Just a quick re-cap as I think I may not be understanding what you mean by "Why?". You gave the Forester Burdock, is that the Why?

Who ???????

Where - Switzerland - Dorsetgal

When - 1940's - me

Why - Burdock - Forester

Where the name came from - Velour & Crochet - Dorsetgal

Edit:- So are we just missing the Who?

Edited by Nediam

No, Carolyn, I do not think you have upset the game, as I said. I quite agree, it is amazing what people have tucked at the back of their minds.

It's more a commentary on general questions of late that have been very unlikely for anyone to know.

Just a quick re-cap as I think I may not be understanding what you mean by "Why?". You gave the Forester Burdock, is that the Why?

Who ???????

Where - Switzerland - Dorsetgal

When - 1940's - me

Why - Burdock - Forester

Where the name came from - Velour & Crochet - Dorsetgal

Edit:- So are we just missing the Who?

You are close enough Nediam. It is widely believed that Velcro was invented some time in the 1960’s in America for the space race.

It was actually invented by a Swiss engineer, Georges de Mestral, who while walking his dogs in the Alps in 1941, wondered about the mechanism which caused the Burdock seeds which stuck to his clothing and the dog’s hair worked.

It took him many years to get people interested in the fastening he developed which he called velcro

Carolyn

Edited by T-girls

I asked my mum, as she's more encyclopaedic than me on clothing issues, and she said George De Mistral. When pressed, she added the name comes from the French for loop and hook, but couldn't say what the words were.

Edit: Well that was 25p on a phone call wasted! :rolleyes:

Edited by Simply Paul