adults like swag?

Mrs.Dixon

im 28 years old, and i love to find kool swag in caches lol

most things i find are for lil kids tho, i have found a couple cute things for my self.

but am i the Only adult that likes swag?? lol

i want to hide my own cache, but all i can think of is girly stuff like, DIY hair bows, lapel pins

cup cozies, nail decals, $1 store jewelry, but what about male cachers? do you even like swag?

what would be kool swag for adults?

The only things I trade for are personal signature items left by other geocachers. I leave my own personal signature tokens, and I trade for others' personal signature items using things like foreign coins, dollar-store toys, small ceramic figures, pins, and decorative pencils.

But most of the geocachers I know (including kids) don't really bother trading any more. A few might rummage through the trade items out of curiosity. A few more trade for personal signature items. But most are interested only in signing the logbook and continuing onward.

We leave assorted swag in caches large enough.

Balsa planes and punch balls we're doing this Summer for kids (we change up...), and DEET wipes, ponchos and geocoins for adults.

We rarely take swag, but will grab something if it fits a mood, or needed.

On an overnighter once my batteries way low, and somehow forgot to restock.

Just luck a two-pack of duracells in a cache along the way, and traded a geocoin for 'em. :)

Edited by cerberus1

That's the joy of the big caches! I like finding stuff. My brother collects matchboxes so I trade for them if I find one. Found small first aid kits in an ammo can, so they were dry and clean. I leave tokens & troll dolls cause I just happen to like stuff like that. Money and coffee cards are great too. I think a lot of adults like finding stuff.

Around '06/'7 , there was a cacher who'd leave vintage milk bottle tops from a "collection" in caches.

Some were complaining about carp in caches, but I was pretty-much stalking the guy for some time.

After checking on ebay after seeing a few myself, two-to-eights bucks each was actually cool swag, well worth the little disk coin-like thing with the hole in it. :)

batteries seem like a handy thing to leave, specially being out in the woods.

its good to know I'm not only adult that likes to find swag!

i will keep all those things in mind thank you all :D

No. Batteries are not good.

No mater how dry the cache may seem there is always the chance of dampness and batteries corrode, become useless and maybe even dangerous...if you have battery operated equipment you should have your own backup batteries or know your charge before going out. Any batteries I've ever seen in a cache are not in a condition I would use.

on the topic: I do like finding swag (swag in good condition), and especially love to find personal signature items or homemade stuff. I like seeing what others have left, I rarely trade unless its something that really grabs my fancy (semi-precious stones, cute dragons, butterflies), but its nice to look. I like to stock my caches with plastic toys, fun erasers, cool marbles, sometimes stickers (and my sig item or course).

Edited by Duskywing

We're a family team and we all like to trade for items. I have a special display case for the items I get from caches and can remember every cache we've gotten something from. For me it's like a souvenir, the husband likes more practical/useful items, and the kid likes toys and such. Mostly I trade for sig items, but it depends on whats in the cache. With a kid along trading is most of the fun for them and it can be contagious. We all love swag.

As for things these adults like to find: pens, first aid kits, ponchos, lapel pins, charms (I have a bracelet made entirely out of charms I've traded for from caches), para-cord bracelets, etc.

I, personally, like swag and know others that enjoy swag too. Trades don't always take place but it's fun to see what's in the caches. To me, it's a treat to find that neat knick knack/trinket in the cache. Some nice items I have seen or left behind include: polished rocks, mini flashlights, small tape measure, large plastic coins, pathtags, pocket pack of tissues, carabiner, hair bands, lanyards, mosquito wipes, travel size hand lotion, flash drive, wooden nickels, Earth magnets, ready made micro caches, patches, whistles, battery holder, eye glass screwdriver kit, key chains, figurines, gift cards, pins, refrigerator magnets, multi-function tool, fossils, and bouncy balls.

What ruins the experience are non-maintained geocaches. Sometimes swag breaks or people leave food items behind. These should be removed and replaced. Sometimes, cache containers take in water. When this happens, the log & swag turns into a big yucky moldy mess.

Edited by OCamera

I love the concept of swag--it makes it a real treasure hunt! :)

I say "concept" because: I am super-new to geocaching (about a month and a half), and I have only found 44 caches so far (all smalls and micros, and not a one with any swag! Except the one outside the bank that had bank pens in it...)

Undoubtedly part of this "non-swag" streak is location--around here, very urban and busy and not a lot of space to hide larger caches with swag, etc.

I am an adult ( more or less, give or take), and I would totally love to find some swag! In terms of what adults would like, I hope I will cover that sufficiently if I ever find any swag to trade! Right now, I have bulked up on pathtags, some geocoins, and a bunch of vintage tack pins and cocktail/costume jewelry rings that I bought at an estate sale. I'm also packing batteries, coffee cards, and multiple toys.

--Now if I can only find somewere to trade them! :blink:

M. (RogueTeacher)

Swag is awesome. Just wish people wouldn't use the caches to dump their trash. It's like some folks rummage in the glove box or under the seat of their car and just find any piece of crap that might pass for swap and dump it in the box. I don't always take or leave...but when I do I make sure it's something at least kinda cool. Something worth grabbing and adding to your swag bag to maybe leave somewhere else.

That said...does anyone have a "signature" swag item they like to leave? Not like a custom coin or anything like that...but maybe your the cacher that always leaves a plastic spider or silicon bracelet or like the guy above that was leaving milk caps. What's your sig. swag item?

Edited by Nubster
Just luck a two-pack of duracells in a cache along the way, and traded a geocoin for 'em. :)

JFI, since this is a starter's forum: Geocoins (with activated tracking numbers) are not a trade item, they belong to their owner and have to be treated like other trackables: retrieved and dropped into the next fitting cache, without trade. Thank you very much.

JFI, since this is a starter's forum: Geocoins (with activated tracking numbers) are not a trade item, they belong to their owner and have to be treated like other trackables: retrieved and dropped into the next fitting cache, without trade. Thank you very much.

Okay, to be clear... traded one of MY geocoins for 'em...

So you replaced a valuable trade item (the battery pack) with a non-trade item (your activated trackable geocoin)? That's not OK. .

Logical consequence would be, you'd accept me getting your coin into my posession and drop another battery pack into the cache instead...

Trade trade items (swag), move trackables, don't mix them up.

Edited by Ben0w

So you replaced a valuable trade item (the battery pack) with a non-trade item (your activated trackable geocoin)? That's not OK. .

Logical consequence would be, you'd accept me getting your coin into my posession and drop another battery pack into the cache instead...

Trade trade items (swag), move trackables, don't mix them up.

Sheesh... :rolleyes:

We've placed unactivated coins belonging to us as swag since we started.

The bag they're in say they're unactivated, and swag ...

Anything else while there are nits about?

I love swag! I'm 62 years old and just started caching this spring. I always look to see how big the container is before planning a route, and try to make sure I get a couple on my list, as it seems there are many more pill bottle or camera caches than regular size. I look through all the stuff...I'm like a kid at the candy store...rummaging around. I enjoy all the different things people put in and get lots of ideas for things to put in. Some things are strange and make me laugh, that's okay too. I've definitely discovered not to put anything inside that gets ruined by dampness. Oh...the moldy caches really stink! I do have a signature item I leave. I make them out of 3mm transparency film and use water proof markers to decorate them. Sometimes I use waterproof stamp ink, and I also cut out designs, like flowers or suns, and color them in. It's all so much fun. Definitely contemporary treasure hunting.

[sheesh... :rolleyes:

We've placed unactivated coins belonging to us as swag since we started.

The bag they're in say they're unactivated, and swag ...

Anything else while there are nits about?

Nope. You simply could have said in your postings that you dropped an unactivated coin (which I suggested at least twice as acceptable swag). This is a newbie forum and handling of trackables is one of the troublemakers out there (BTW not only by newbies), hence the nit picking. Thanks for clarifying.

I just discovered geocaching 2 months ago and love it!!! I love swag !!! I've not taken or left anything yet but I've gotten small hand sanitizer, finger lights, glow sticks,batteries, pens to trade. I also bought small zip loc sandwich bags to put it in when I leave it. Can't wait to do my first trade.

It's just as much fun figuring out where and what type of hide you are going to do. I'm almost at my 300 finds and I have 5 hides. Now that I've experienced so many different finds, I want to do an "Evil" hide, one that is in plain sight but challenging to find. We go out every weekend! I've ordered little emoji erasers and I'm making my own signature swag. I also always look around for small items to add to my collection of swag. Lots of times the containers may be too small for anything but I always bring my swag just in case. Happy Caching!

I just hid a new night cache yesterday. It's in a relatively remote area, and will take you for about a .25 mile night hike, so I'm assuming there will be very few kids along for that particular cache. I've stocked it with playing cards, dice, and pens-- still family-friendly, but mainly of interest for adults.