Caches stolen

gobucki

Bummer. Just got into geocaching in the last 6 weeks and wanted to hide some. Two caches that I hid in a nearby town were stolen within a couple weeks. They were both in obscure spots that people would not find them unless they were actually geocaching. Both were official geocaches as well. One a nano magnet and the other a lock and lock.

So.... Do I not invest in official and just put stickers on custom made ones? I bought a back of bison tubes which were cheaper so I'm going to go that route. And the magnetic hide a keys work just as good as well.

I'm assuming this is a pretty regular occurrence?

We've seen (and had) many caches that go missing in, "obscure spots", to realize that other people besides cachers found that area a fun place to go too.

Now that the days of someone finding a box of flies/tackle box and returning 'em to you are kinda over, a lock n lock might have the same fate if found.

We see so many issues with nanos (most simply just dropping them, never found again) that we're sorta surprised many bother with that container type.

It's not a normal occurence, but when everything is dependent on others to keep 'em safe, dry, etc., not much else you can do.

If a cache missing ever became a regular occurrence, I'd archive that hide.

I've replaced both with less valuable containers so I'll keep an eye out and see if the disappear again.

Less valuable containers? Are you worried people are stealing them for the container? In 15 years of caching I have never heard of people coveting Lock n Lock containers or any container except an ammo can.

I've been hiding for 14 years and many of my caches eventually went missing. Part of cache ownership. Some of the caches I thought were in iffy spots never disappeared. Some very well hidden caches went missing within weeks. The latest one that went missing lasted 3 years then someone cut the wires holding it to the tree and took it. I like to think they admired the craftsmanship so much they had to have it for their own. I was really happy it lasted the 3 years though and promptly hid another cache that Inworked on for a couple of weeks and incorporated an authentic Lock & Lock. I want finders to enjoy everything about the cache experience including a dry logbook and contents. Hide the best quality you can and cross your fingers that your cache will have a long happy life and be admired by many cachers. And if it disappears try again. If it disappears again it wasn't a good spot. Try somewhere else but please don't resort to hiding poor quality caches. Take pride in your hide. Invest a little in the container.

I had to maintain and replace my first cache quite a bit. I had severely underestimated the amount of abuse the location took from the local skateboarders. Eventually, they destroyed the steps at the location (where my cache was hidden), and then destroyed the replacement steps within a couple weeks. The city gave up trying to keep steps there, and I archived my cache.

But I learned a lot trying to maintain that cache. My caches since then have required a LOT less maintenance, and haven't been muggled.

So, is muggling a "pretty regular occurrence"? For some caches, yes. For others, no, not really.

I've replaced both with less valuable containers so I'll keep an eye out and see if the disappear again.

Less valuable containers? Are you worried people are stealing them for the container? In 15 years of caching I have never heard of people coveting Lock n Lock containers or any container except an ammo can.

Im not saying people are stealing them for the containers. They are stealing them to be aholes. But why buy a $5 official lock and lock plus shipping, when I can use old Tupperware. Etc etc. I spent $20 on official caches which some of which got stolen within a week or two. Or I could use an empty pill bottle which costs nothing. That is my point. Just makes no sense to buy official geocaches when I can buy a pack of 30 geocache stickers for $2 and use cheaper containers laying around the house.

Just sucks that the "official" geocaches I bought were stolen immediately.

Might also be location based. Both are less than a mile apart. So if someone wanted to be a jerk I guess they decided to just hit mine. I can also ask some of the locals if they've had caches come up missing. My other geocaches which are about 5 miles from these particular ones haven't had any problems.

I do have an ammo can I want to use eventually but want to find the perfect spot for that one. Just hoping that one sticks around for awhile.

We know of areas where caches just never do well, and end up missing.

- Big, open areas on the map that even has consent.

Who knows why, but happens frequently enough that no long-time cacher places there anymore.

A new cacher sees "all that open area" , giggles with glee, and places a cache or two with the normal outcome.

Funny how not one of those new folks ever asked any of the locals why before they place.

Maybe thinking if they said something they might lose that spot to another...