so disappointed :(

team.moo

I really wanted to start taking this hobby more seriously this year, so splashed out on a Garmin oregon 450, second hand but still a lot of money for me to find.

I can't get any caches onto it, it doesn't work with chrome so I tried switching to IE (which is so slow on my laptop its worse than going back to dial up!). I added the site to trusted sites like it suggested but still no luck, I can't even download the required plug in to the device. IE is virtually un-usable for me, we have very slow internet in my area :(

I am now left with a very expensive paperweight, well not quite that bad I assume I can manually enter coordinates, but my (very) old GPS that cost £10 I could do that. Plus it looks like I am back to printing out caches, I really wanted to go paperless.

Moral to other newbies - DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING - I now see there are problems with garmin on windows 10. I can't return as it was second hand, no wonder they sold it.

Sorry for the rant, I am feeling very despondent, I have wasted money I can't really afford. I was hoping just to plug in the device and download the files from the site. I fully expected for an expensive piece of kit, this would have been possible.

Wish I had gone for Magellan but I (wrongly it seems) thought Garmin was a better make.

I really wanted to start taking this hobby more seriously this year, so splashed out on a Garmin oregon 450, second hand but still a lot of money for me to find.

I can't get any caches onto it, it doesn't work with chrome so I tried switching to IE (which is so slow on my laptop its worse than going back to dial up!). I added the site to trusted sites like it suggested but still no luck, I can't even download the required plug in to the device. IE is virtually un-usable for me, we have very slow internet in my area :(

I am now left with a very expensive paperweight, well not quite that bad I assume I can manually enter coordinates, but my (very) old GPS that cost £10 I could do that. Plus it looks like I am back to printing out caches, I really wanted to go paperless.

Moral to other newbies - DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING - I now see there are problems with garmin on windows 10. I can't return as it was second hand, no wonder they sold it.

Sorry for the rant, I am feeling very despondent, I have wasted money I can't really afford. I was hoping just to plug in the device and download the files from the site. I fully expected for an expensive piece of kit, this would have been possible.

Wish I had gone for Magellan but I (wrongly it seems) thought Garmin was a better make.

Is there a USB problem? If the computer recognizes the GPSr, it's likely not a Garmin issue. As you see all over this Forum, there are security issues with using the "Garmin Communicator" plug-in, so modern web browsers block it by default. "Send To" is cool, but it is becoming very difficult to maintain the function. Save the LOC or GPX files manually. That still works. See the "LOC" button in the image below. I maintain "Send To" in a couple of browsers as a personal challenge, and someday "Send To" will go away. But get the word out: If you saved the files manually, you'd be done by now. :anibad:

If you're printing cache pages, and only hunting a few caches, you can manually enter the coords. If you're ready to go paperless, the convenience may not be free. GPX files are available to paid members. Then you'd click the "GPX File" button and save the file to the /GARMIN/GPX folder on the GPSr (which is what the "Send To" feature does, but with less functionality). Better yet, you'd get entire townfuls of Pocket Queries, and copy those to the GPSr. If you begin a paid membership, be sure to delete any cache files (especially the "LOC" files) you loaded as a basic member, before loading the new GPX files.

d1f81dd8-e766-45fc-af23-94e16b296e15.jpg

Edited by kunarion

thank you for the quick reply and reassurance all is not lost.

I don't think it is a USB issue as I haven't had a problem with it before. It may be a laptop issue as I am unable to download garmin communicator, whether this is down to my laptop or the garmin site I don't know.

Thanks for the information on "Send To" that is a shame as it was what I was hoping to use (quick and easy). It seems if this function is unreliable there is no point in struggling to get garmin communicator downloaded?

I can download and transfer manually but which folder on the garmin do I need to copy the cache file to?

EDIT: just seen you have answered the above - off to try that now

Yes I am aware that I need to pay for premium for paperless, this is something I plan do after next payday. In the meantime I am eager to test out my new (to me) GPS by downloading one cache at a time.

Edited by team.moo

Thanks for the information on "Send To" that is a shame as it was what I was hoping to use (quick and easy). It seems if this function is unreliable there is no point in struggling to get garmin communicator downloaded?

It's becoming a real challenge to keep Communicator working in current web browsers. But many people don't have Windows 10, or are using old browsers, and Communicator is currently working. For those people, "Send To" is fine. For the rest of us, we should move on to other things. I like copying manually, because I delete old files before saving new ones. It's a practice I learned from using a Garmin GPSr. :anicute:

If you get a Premium Membership, "Pocket Queries" are the way to go.

The Garmin 450 is rugged, and with the latest firmware, it's pretty stable. I think you'll like it. I found a bunch of caches with that.

Edited by kunarion

Good point I will need to work out how to get the latest firmware onto it (i don't think it has been used in a while). Will I be able to do that via Chrome? Thats something to do another day.

I downloaded a couple of caches close to my home and put them in the GPSr file but I can't see where they show up on the Garmin, they are not in waypoints or geocaches.

I renamed them, could that be the issue? Also there were GPX files in there from the previous owner, I left them, do I need to take them out for it to recognise my LOC files?

Thank you for all your help

Good point I will need to work out how to get the latest firmware onto it (i don't think it has been used in a while). Will I be able to do that via Chrome? Thats something to do another day.

I downloaded a couple of caches close to my home and put them in the GPSr file but I can't see where they show up on the Garmin, they are not in waypoints or geocaches.

I renamed them, could that be the issue? Also there were GPX files in there from the previous owner, I left them, do I need to take them out for it to recognise my LOC files?

Make a backup of whatever you'd like (the whole GPSr would be good). Then delete everything in the /GARMIN/GPX folder. Then copy the new files. They can be named as you like, but must retain the same file extension (".LOC", in this case). There are a bunch of ways caches won't show up, and sometimes it's due to filters on the GPSr, set to view only certain cache types. The filters can even be set so you'd see no caches.

There's free Windows software called "Garmin Basecamp", which may be a handy way to see just what's loaded and what isn't. Basecamp loads whatever maps are on the GPSr, and the caches and waypoints, and maps them. You can make new waypoints and send them. I'm using Basecamp to easily measure distances, for cache placement planning, and to print maps of possible cache spots.

Here's the Garmin Express download page: http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Garmin Express pops up when new firmware is available. It also updates my Nuvi's maps, the kind with "free lifetime maps". But Garmin Express is mostly just annoying. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

If it was me, I would completely flush all waypoints, geocaches and POI's from the unit. What I want in there is MY stuff, not someone else's.

Then start fresh by downloading a few .loc files into it.

I do that by saving the files to my computer. I have folders named "geocaching xxx". Some are for particular locations, some are for particular days, etc.

Do not change the "name" of the cache. The only thing I do is ADD the cache name to the GC code. And some times I add an abbreviated name...some of those caches names are ridiculously long. Some are repetitive (Cache #1, Cache #2, etc)

To transfer the files from my computer to the gps, I use GPSBabel.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Yes, you're doing it one cache at a time, but unless you are a Premium Member and can use pocket queries, that's the only option you have that actually works.

Now you can check to see if the caches you downloaded are in the gps.

If the caches are more than 50 miles from your home location, you may need to search for them by name. This is why you leave the unique GC code as part of the loc file name. Easier to sort.

Make sure you have the full owner manual. Go through it. Learn how your gps works first before trying to fumble around when looking for caches.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Oregon_x50_Series_OM_EN.pdf

Once you get the PM, then you will be using bookmark lists and pocket queries to make your life a lot easier.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I have a Garmin etrex 10, which is okay as a basic gps. Recently I bought a new lap top, windows 10. I tried to download the Garmin plugin on my new laptop using google chrome and I couldn't.

I called Garmin support and they told me I had to use IE to download the plugin and IE to download caches to my GPS.

I called Garmin support and they told me I had to use IE to download the plugin and IE to download caches to my GPS.

In Win 10, I still have Communicator working in IE 11 (NOT "Edge"), and Firefox, last I checked. :anicute:

I got Garmin Communicator working in IE11 with Windows 10 by following the steps here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=334207&view=findpost&p=5538114

I post a link since there are several things to consider when you do that. I've seen Communicator's ability to send files turn off, then turn on again, with no particular user intervention. But one day, maybe soon, Garmin Communicator may not work at all anymore in a currently updated web browser.

You may place GPX files [or LOC files] directly into the GPX folder of a Garmin GPSr, thus bypassing the plugin. This performs the same thing the plugin would do, but you may have the file copied in a fraction of the time it takes to fix the plugin when it breaks.

Download the GPX file from Geocaching.com. Not "Send To", use the "GPX File" button [for a basic member, try the "LOC waypoint file" button] on a cache page. For a zipped Pocket Query, unzip the file, and you should now have at least one “GPX” file.

Plug the Garmin into the USB port of the computer.

Find the Garmin as a [DRIVE] or [storage device] and open it;

Therein, locate a file folder named something like Garmin/GPX/;

Click, drag and drop (or copy) the downloaded GPX file(s) to that [DRIVE]:Garmin/GPX/ folder.

Right-click and select Eject, unplug the Garmin;

Go Geocaching.

(From Gitchee-Gumee's excellent instructions)

Edited by kunarion

If it was me, I would completely flush all waypoints, geocaches and POI's from the unit. What I want in there is MY stuff, not someone else's.

Then start fresh by downloading a few .loc files into it.

+1

This is important because a Garmin GPSr builds its own special database from those files. Geocaching.com "LOC" and "GPX" cache page files both at once cause the GPSr's database to be messed up, and on my Garmin 450, it caused no caches to display. Gotta clean out that folder. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

After reading through the thread a few things are not clear to me.

#1 - What is the attraction to Chrome? If it works for you, fine. If not, give Firefox a chance. My Oregon 450's (both t and non t models) like Firefox just fine. As for IE, when heck freezes over is the next time I will use it willingly.

#2 - Are you familiar with MASS STORAGE MODE on your Oregon, AND are you familiar with the GARMIN SPANNER Interface? I find that most local users I talk to have never heard of it. I also find it invaluable. Look for it under Menu - Setup - System - Interface

Good point I will need to work out how to get the latest firmware onto it (i don't think it has been used in a while). Will I be able to do that via Chrome?

That is something ANY good browser should be able to do. I refer you back to my opinion of Firefox and IE.

How did you "put them on the GPS"? I refer you back to my question about MASS STORAGE MODE.

I renamed them

Why? As in, why complicate any part of the process, at least until you know how it works.

there were GPX files in there from the previous owner, I left them, do I need to take them out for it to recognize my LOC files?

There is a very real possibility that those LOC and GPX files don't play well together. It doesn't matter in this case. Keep going back to the GPX FOLDER regularly to clean out old outdated data, and replace it with fresh data. Get rid of that old GPX data. Repeat - keep going back and deleting old data.

Basecamp is a option, NOT a requirement. Again, why complicate the process in the early stages when you don't have to?

GPSBabel is a option, NOT a requirement. What is wrong with good old COPY / PASTE?

In 12 years and 2000+ finds I have NEVER used either one of them. Figure this out first, and then experiment if you want to. For now, keep it simple.

#2 - Are you familiar with MASS STORAGE MODE on your Oregon, AND are you familiar with the GARMIN SPANNER Interface? I find that most local users I talk to have never heard of it. I also find it invaluable. Look for it under Menu - Setup - System - Interface

I'm not surprised that most users never heard of SPANNER as it is an old solution for a Garmin GPS 18 unit. It isn't even supported on Vista or Win 7. While you might use it so solve some weird issues, it is an unnecessary confusion to mention it to a new user.

I'm not surprised that most users never heard of SPANNER as it is an old solution for a Garmin GPS 18 unit. It isn't even supported on Vista or Win 7. While you might use it so solve some weird issues, it is an unnecessary confusion to mention it to a new user.

I've allowed Windows to automatically handle files, on three Garmin handhelds I've owned... plug it in, and MSM happens. But it's possible that a used one was set to a strange mode.

Thank you everyone for your time.

Pup Patrol - I will read the manual, thank you

Cardinal Red - to answer some of your questions

I have no issue with firefox (just loath IE), it was the Garmin site that directed me to IE as a browser to use, it did not mention that Firefox was compatible as well.

No not familiar with mass storage mode or gamin spanner, I looked the latter up in the manual ans still none the wiser :(

I put them in the GPS by opening the GPS via USB in my computer, finding the GPX folder and coping into that.

I renamed them as they are all named the same ie geocaching(number).loc I did not change the .loc extension. I wanted to be able to reconise them by name.

I still can't get it to work :(

I performed a factory reset on the devise.

I took everything out of the GPX folder (i was surprised there were still files in there as was expecting the factory reset to delete everything)

I downloaded them again, keeping the names the same and copied in the GPX folder.

I still can't see them under geocaches and there is no mark for them on the map where they should be.

every time I connect it, it has automatically created a new folder "current" which contains the file "current.gpx"

could this be what is confusing it as it has both .gpx and .loc files.

I cannot get rid of this "current" folder. I delete it and when I open the main folder again it has re-appeared.

I have also tried to download garmin communicator in firefox, this will not work, it is no longer supported by firefox. Looks like it is IE or nothing.

Edited by team.moo

every time I connect it, it has automatically created a new folder "current" which contains the file "current.gpx"

I cannot get rid of this "current" folder. I delete it and when I open the main folder again it has re-appeared.

Are you using a Mac or Windows?

Macs need the bin emptying with the unit still connected, to actualy delete things...

Are you using a Mac or Windows?

Macs need the bin emptying with the unit still connected, to actualy delete things...

Windows 10

:D :D :D Finally getting somewhere

I have updated the software via garmin express

I persevered with IE (needs must) and downloaded garmin communicator. Now I can use the "Send To" feature which is GPX files.

It is glitchly the first click on "send to" never works, after what seems like an age it comes up with "stop scrip" once I stop scrip (whatever that does :( ) click on "send to" again and it works great.

I takes around 3 or 4 minutes to get one cache sent, I am fine with that, at least I have it working and its only until the end of the month until I can get premium.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I would have given up hours ago if it wasn't for the support on here.

Now I can use the "Send To" feature which is GPX files.

It is glitchly the first click on "send to" never works, after what seems like an age it comes up with "stop scrip" once I stop scrip (whatever that does :( ) click on "send to" again and it works great.

I takes around 3 or 4 minutes to get one cache sent, I am fine with that, at least I have it working and its only until the end of the month until I can get premium.

That's a relief!

Don't stress about the "stop script" thing. That's a temporary site problem that started in the past couple of days. That will clear up in a couple more days. Single caches will "send" almost instantly.

Edited by kunarion

:D :D :D Finally getting somewhere

I have updated the software via garmin express

I persevered with IE (needs must) and downloaded garmin communicator. Now I can use the "Send To" feature which is GPX files.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I would have given up hours ago if it wasn't for the support on here.

Whoo hoo!

See, that's why I do it the way I do. There's not enough money in the world to get me to sit around for that length of time waiting for one cache to load.

Trust me, when you buy your PM and start making bookmark lists and running pq's off of them, you will be jumping for joy! :D It will make that $30 worthwhile.

Good luck in the finding of those pesky caches.

B.

It will make that $30 worthwhile.

I am in the UK so pay in £'s, you have might have heard our £ is not performing too well. I'd better buy quick before an updated sterling price with a new exchange rate is applied :laughing:

One of the reasons for getting into this again is I go with my 9 year old. He loves it, it gets him off the computer and out walking. Once the expensive of the GPS is out of the way, it will save money in the long run as apart from the small yearly charge for the site, its free.

Edited by team.moo

It will make that $30 worthwhile.

I am in the UK so pay in £'s, you have might have heard our £ is not performing too well. I'd better buy quick before an updated sterling price with a new exchange rate is applied :laughing:

Oh, I feel your pain. I'm in Canada...nuff said. :( Playing the gussing game of when the exchange rate might improve....argh.

One of the reasons for getting into this again is I go with my 9 year old. He loves it, it gets him off the computer and out walking. Once the expensive of the GPS is out of the way, it will save money in the long run as apart from the small yearly charge for the site, its free.

Good stuff. Don't forget the camera!

B.

I felt your pain just reading these posts. I too brought a 2nd hand GPSr a Garmin Etrex 20x. The pain of getting the caches loaded was horrific and I too was wondering what I had done by buying a GPSr unit. I asked questions on this forum too but what helped most was watching a youtube video on loading caches. I also thought that once it was in the gpx file on the laptop that it would transfer to the unit when plugged in (boy am I a newbie to this stuff), once in gpx file I need to right click then send to garmin. You will love your unit once you figure it out. I have only managed to use mine to find one cache so far and it was brilliant, tomorrow we are going caching!!!