Hi there!

Laithriel

Hi all!

I've just started geocaching. I heard about it years ago, but at that time didn't have the time or the nice climate to geocache. Since we left the South, my husband and I go hiking at least twice a week during the summer and once a week during the rest of the year (when weather permits). On one particular trail, we have found an old cache. The cache containers are a wooden jewelry box and a thick glass vase-like jar with a plastic stopper. It is usually empty. I did find a piece of paper with names the last time I checked it. I haven't seen anything listed on geocaching.com where this cache is located, so I'm guessing it's obsolete or was never posted.

I've tried to read up as much as I can on the website and forums. I had already made a mistake when I found my first official cache earlier this week. And I'm sorry. I didn't realize that bubbles were a no-no. (It was a tiny bottle and I did put it inside a plastic baggie.) If the bottle is still in there next time I go near that cache I will remove it.

I plan on getting taking my grandkids out on local cache hunts. I'd rather start them on geocaching before they learn about Pokemon Go.

Welcome.

Regarding the mysterious containers near the trail, you should be aware that there is also another older game called letterboxing. Some geocaches are letterbox hybrids, that is, they are both geocaches and letterboxes. A letterbox should have a rubber stamp in it. Visitors use the stamp in their personal notebook, and in turn, use their personal stamp on the letterbox's logbook.

If it's near a mountain peak, it could be a summit register.

The containers could be abandoned or never posted, as you said. Or they might not be a geocache at all, just something random and odd.

Edited by msrubble

I haven't seen anything listed on geocaching.com where this cache is located, so I'm guessing it's obsolete or was never posted.

Welcome!

It could be the final point of any multi-cache or mistery... so the posted coordinates would not led you to this location.

Among other possibilities, of course.