Slightly overwhelmed...please help!

smithfamily33

Very excited about finding this community, but am a tad bit overwhelmed...here's the scoop.

Stumbled upon this as something fun to do with my family when we leave for UT, NV and AZ tomorrow night - purchased the Garmin Etrex 20 last night, updated software, registered online, etc. Have figured out now (and I probably did read this, but just overlooked it) that it does NOT come with maps...best I can figure, so get moving now, I need to do two things:

1. Find some maps and upload them to device.

2. Figure out how to send the caches we want to search to my device.

I'm sure there are quick ways to do this somewhere on here, but I haven't found them yet - could be my ADD kicking in.

Please help - thanks!

For free garmin maps, just google "Free Garmin Maps"

To get caches on the GPSr, you could try the "send to GPS" function on the cache page (likely won't work due to browser security features), or you could become a Primium member, and then get a .GPX file from the webpage, and transfer that onto your GPS.

For free garmin maps, just google "Free Garmin Maps"

To get caches on the GPSr, you could try the "send to GPS" function on the cache page (likely won't work due to browser security features), or you could become a Primium member, and then get a .GPX file from the webpage, and transfer that onto your GPS.

A basic member can download LOC files, which have some info.

Very excited about finding this community, but am a tad bit overwhelmed...here's the scoop.

Stumbled upon this as something fun to do with my family when we leave for UT, NV and AZ tomorrow night - purchased the Garmin Etrex 20 last night, updated software, registered online, etc. Have figured out now (and I probably did read this, but just overlooked it) that it does NOT come with maps...best I can figure, so get moving now, I need to do two things:

1. Find some maps and upload them to device.

2. Figure out how to send the caches we want to search to my device.

I'm sure there are quick ways to do this somewhere on here, but I haven't found them yet - could be my ADD kicking in.

Please help - thanks!

smartphones have applications that are easier to get started. or you can appoint one person to figure out everything about the etrex between now and the driver to the first cache.

a kid with a smartphone will be weeks ahead of them