Taken the plunge...

After a couple of years break from caching (business getting in the way) wifey and self have returned. Up to press we have always used our ever reliable, trusty and bomb proof Garmin 12, yes inputting waypoints was a time consuming task, pre-smart phone days printing off caches notes for trips was a pain but we persevered. We have however decided to drag ourselves into the 21st century and purchase a new GPS.

Over the past week I have poured over online reviews, I've scoured the Groundspeak forums for advice and recommendations, I've sought out topics long consigned to the "since beginning" section of the search criteria on here and have with much deliberation and cogitation eventually made a choice, whether wise or not has yet to be seen. The object of my desire? A Garmin GPSMAP 62S, OK so I know it's a discontinued model but it ticks all my boxes in theory, with a premium subscription to Groundspeak (something I've never been able to justify before), I shall be able to go paperless, no more manual inputting of waypoints unless I want to, button technology rather than touchscreen, etc.

Trying to source one from a reputable company has proved slightly more taxing than deciding on the unit in the first place, everybody has dropped it like a hot stone, one company has three in stock, unfortunately they are held at three different branches (none close to me) and not available for home delivery, click collect from store and be told there is no policy of inter branch transfer so I can't collect from my local store either, another store which has them and is prepared to do an inter branch transfer is charging the almost original RRP making it 50% more expensive than it should be, but I persevered and found someone who has a bricks n mortar shop (not just an online presence), who had the item at a reasonable price and who thankfully had 2 in stock. The deal was done at lunchtime and tomorrow I shall hopefully be the proud owner of a 62S. As for the Garmin 12, well I won't retire it entirely, I'll keep it for emergencies and as a back up unit, it's been a useful tool and I see no reason as to why I need to offload it. Once again, let the caching commence.

Bhod.