Yrium's Geocacher Trading Cards

yrium

Hello all,

As some of you know I've been making geocacher trading cards for cachers in the San Diego area and dropping them off in little bundles of five whenever I have the good fortune to find a cache. I've always been afflicted with a collectors mentality and it seems like I have a few companions in that respect in the area. Only problem is getting the word out which caches have which cards and which caches which previously had cards are now cardless.

Night Hunter gave me the great Idea of just making a thread on the subject and we could take care of it that way. So here it is!

Can I ask a couple of favors? If you take a card from a cache during your initial find please mention that in your online log. That will help me to know how many are left. Also, If you make a return visit to a previously visited cache to pick up a card either note it in your log, send me an email, or make a post on this thread. And Lastly, If you take the last geocacher trading card from the cache that is vital for me to know.

thanks,

--- yrium ---

quote:
Originally posted by Night Hunter:

Check out pictures of each card on Yrium's newest Travel Bug page.

Wow, those are very cool. I especially liked the Iron Chef card. Now I have a goal to become Yrium's friend so that Joani and I can be on a card... icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

What type of 'paper' are you printing these cards on? I'd like to give it a shot.

I'm not going to be in San Diego anytime soon.

george

Cool, you could do a CVC series. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

What type of 'paper' are you printing these cards on? I'd like to give it a shot.

I'm using WAUSAU Bright White 65 lb premium card stock Acid-free, Lignin-free with a rated brilliance of 96. It is also identified by this number - 92904. I bought it in a package of 250 sheets.

Just looked online and found it at office depot for $13.00

I print the cards on my EPSON photo 820 printer with good results when the photos used in the photoshop are high resolution. When they are a lower resolution its just a bit blurred. When I take a photo image off the geocaching.com site I always click on the photo so it shows up in a window by itself. If the picture shows up expanded there then its okay to use. If it doesn't expand then its only okay if the subject I'm cropping fills the photo. Otherwise they're a bit blurry when printed.

After printing the cards four to a sheet, I cut them out and then laminate them eight to a sleeve. Then I cut them out and they're good to go. I have done some trial prints on glossy regular weight paper and the flimsiness of the finished card is not as pleasing as my results when using the heavy weight paper.

The hardest part of the whole card design process was getting the stats that print on the back of the card to exactly match the back of the card. To get the first card right took a lot of repositioning - printing iterations. Now that I have a template that part is a breeze. So now its pretty easy to crank out a card if somewhat a drudge with all the sissor work.

--- yrium ---

quote:
Originally posted by yrium:

quote:

I'm using WAUSAU Bright White 65 lb premium card stock Acid-free, Lignin-free with a rated brilliance of 96. It is also identified by this number - 92904. I bought it in a package of 250 sheets.

Just looked online and found a very similar product at http://www.gearshark.com/cgi-bin/s/s_click_through.pl?m_id=29&to_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.officedepot.com%2Fshop%2Fcatalog%2Fsku.asp%3FID%3D458621%26LEVEL%3DSK for $13.00 The one online is not acid free so might degrade over time.

I print the cards on my EPSON photo 820 printer with good results when the photos used in the photoshop are high resolution. When they are a lower resolution its just a bit blurred. When I take a photo image off the geocaching.com site I always click on the photo so it shows up in a window by itself. If the picture shows up expanded there then its okay to use. If it doesn't expand then its only okay if the subject I'm cropping fills the photo. Otherwise they're a bit blurry when printed.

After printing the cards four to a sheet, I cut them out and then laminate them eight to a sleeve. Then I cut them out and they're good to go. I have done some trial prints on glossy regular weight paper and the flimsiness of the finished card is not as pleasing as my results when using the heavy weight paper.

The hardest part of the whole card design process was getting the stats that print on the back of the card to exactly match the back of the card. To get the first card right took a lot of repositioning - printing iterations. Now that I have a template that part is a breeze. So now its pretty easy to crank out a card if somewhat a drudge with all the sissor work.

--- yrium ---

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Yrium how do we get a look at these cards your making.

The Great NorthWest.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

SuperGenius,

You can see cards #1 thru #15 on the travelbug page I made for my UDesignit card. Page down past the description of the travelbug and you'll see links for those cards.

--- yrium ---

Congratulations to Gecko Dad on being the first geocacher to collect all twenty cards in the first line of YRIUM'S PALs geocaching trading cards. Three trys, one in a sodden rainstorm is true perseverance. See his log at the REBUS MONKEY cache.

I expect you to email me a photo of you holding all the cards in your hand 'fanned out' like a poker hand so I can start another exclusive line of cards called 'yrium's fans'. icon_smile.gif

--- yrium ---

I had my first multiple cache day in quite a while. Actually found five of the little buggers. I've found the secret is to sleep all day the day before and then as soon as I get back from caching I took a shower and had a nice four hour nap. Now if I could just get rid of this mysterious case of 'bed head' that I've developed.

Left cards at each of the following caches...

Put five #18 - Nscalers in The Native Californian

Put five UDesignit #1 Ruscals in Where the Sidewalk Ends

Put five #19 - Knics in The Vulture's View

Put five #16 - Splashman & Splashette in Alvarado Crossing

Put five #15 - Jane8276's in Scripps Cottage

--- yrium ---

There are still 5 Mark71Mark cards in the BEARly off the Trail Cache. 

What happened here?  Mark leaves us and people are boycotting his cards?  Sheesh that's not very nice.

To be fair, the three geocachers that have visited the BEARLY A WALK cache since me and Gromit visited haven't ever taken a geocacher trading card before. So I don't think Mark is being slighted.

I think what happened is I visited that cache after it had already been found by everybody collecting cards.

--- yrium ---

While Yrium is limited in his caching activities and range, I will be helping out with distribution of his ever popular Pals cards.

On Saturday, 3/13, I placed:

4 copies of Series 1, Card #18 of 20 (nscaler) in Widescreen RB (GCHVB2)

On Sunday, 3/14, I placed:

5 copies of Series 1, Card #17 or 20 (Team Gecko) in The River Trail's (GCHT01)

5 copies of Series 1, Card #20/20 (Jeremy) in Hoyt Loop (GCHV0J)

As in the past, if you take one of these treasures, please indicate you did so in your online log so we can keep tabs on their distribution.

Enjoy. :D

-Gecko Dad

While Yrium is limited in his caching activities and range, I will be helping out with distribution of his ever popular Pals cards.

On Friday, 3/19, I placed:

5 copies of Series 1, Card #9/20 (Iron Chef) in Two Dams - Blue Sky (GCHYJ3)

As in the past, if you take one of these treasures, please indicate you did so in your online log so we can keep tabs on their distribution.

-Gecko Dad

On Friday, 4/2, I placed:

5 copies of UDesignit, Card #3 (Halstaff) in Firestone Hill (GCJ13M)

5 copies of Series 1, Card #16/20 (Splashman & Splashette) in Salt Creek (GCJ1DE)

-Gecko Dad

Edited by Team Gecko

On Sunday, 4/4, I placed:

5 copies of Series 2, Card #1/20 (Flagson Andrew) in Ethan's Big Tree Place(GCJ14E)

5 copies of UDesignit, Card #1 (Ruscal) in April Fools Cache (GCJ2M2)

-Gecko Dad

On Friday, 4/9, I placed:

1 copy of Series 1, Card #20/20 (Jeremy) in Two Dams View - Woodson (GCHZV0)

As in the past, if you this treasure, please indicate you did so in your online log so we can keep tabs on their distribution.

Enjoy.

-Gecko Dad