How do I send caches to my GPS?!

Please could someone help - we are running out of ideas!

We recently bought a Magellan Explorist 110 and we're having huge problems trying to send geocaches to it. Surely it shouldn't be this difficult?!

We have plugged the GPS into our PC (with Windows 8), downloaded the most recent communicator (from the link on the site) and tried clicking "send to GPS". It then said that our browser was not supported (our browser was Internet Explorer). Following other users' advice we added the geocaching site on our compatibility settings on Internet Explorer, but it still said the browser was unsupported!

Someone suggested trying a different browser - Chrome or Firefox, so we downloaded the former. We went back on the geocaching site and clicked "send to GPS", and it says that there is no communicator. We clicked to download the most recent communicator but it just keeps on saying there is no communicator!

Sorry about the long post but when we bought the GPS we thought it would be straight forward, but we've now spent several hours messing about, to no avail.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

From the number of times this "send to gps" problem comes up in the forums, I'm wondering if the function is broken.

What I do is this, for sending the gpx file for individual caches:

1. Create a new folder on my computer for gpx files. I've gotten to the point where I create new folders for particular days or locations. That way, the file(s) can be deleted if we no longer need them.

2. I then use the "gpx file" on the cache page to save it to the appropriate folder on my computer.

3. I downloaded GPSBabel a long time ago.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

4. Plug the gps into the computer and use GPSBabel to transfer the gpx files of the caches I want to the gps.

Hope this helps.

Once we've found the caches, or decided we don't want to look for them, I delete them from the folder on the computer and from the gps.

I've never used the "send to gps" function, and from the number of times I read that people are frustrated by it, I highly doubt I will ever use it.

Alternatively, as a Premium Member, you might want to look into Pocket Queries:

Help Center → Premium Membership

2. Pocket Queries

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=28

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Have you signed-off, then back in again after those changes? That will re-set the settings/changes you made.

-----------

As an aside... being a Premium Member, you can load geocaches (Pocket Query files) without using a browser whatsoever.

Just drag 'n drop the files to the unit from the computer, unit-to-unit. No browser interaction.

Once you learn Pocket Queries, you'll probably never consider that bulky "Send to GPS" function again!

The "Send to GPS" feature is a website function, thereby requiring browser use.

I have the same unit. Initially I had the same issue. Since Magellan didn't supply a USB cord I used a cheap one I got somehwere for a few bucks. I eventually went to Radio Shack and purchased a better cord and the issue went away. Not sure if that will fix your issue, worked for me though.