Geocaching Vlog! :)

Geocaching is NOT treasure hunting. And it is not just for adults. I cache with people from 6 to 76. The stuff in them is not a prize. You are supposed to trade up or even. Geocaches are NOT to be buried-and this one wasn't buried. Did the cache owner give you permission to do this? This would be considered a spoiler, and I doubt the cache owner wants that.

I didn't even watch past the first one. Honestly that video shouldn't be up, with it showing spoilers for the caches.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Cute. Based on the comments, looks like we might have a few new cachers. If you do more, definitely make sure the cache owner is okay with giving away the location (or hide one for that purpose). I do that to teach Scouts--they find mine, so I don't worry about them taking family or friends back, and I know what will be in the cache and that it will be in good condition.

I thought geocaching was a positive community? I'm really in shock with the responses I am getting! I've been geocaching casually for 2 years. I have never marked anything online, but that doesn't mean I've never found anything before. I never claimed this was a how-to video. Has nobody heard of a vlog?

Geocaching is such a fun hobby. Why not share it with the world? You don't have to be an "expert geocacher" in order to talk or film about it. Honestly, just wanted to share a fun video.

OK I'm not normally a fan of blogs, video or otherwise, but I figured I'd check this out. The factual errors are so glaring it really turned me off. I'm only a minute and a half into it, and I've already heard "prizes" and "buried" - two things that have nothing to do with geocaching...

I just watched the rest and I have to say it did get better. Well, except for the clothing and beauty stuff :rolleyes: What does that have to do with geocaching? But it does show how cute the redhead is :wub:

Keep it up, but please try to get the factual stuff right, and do ask for permission from the cache owners before you publish your videos. Concentrate more on the caches and less on clothing and beauty.

You do realize we know when you signed up... And like I told you it's not a vlog. It's 2 girls giggling and geocaching.

Yes, I do. You can geocache without having an account on this website. There is a geocaching app available. Additionally, do you know what a vlog is?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vlog?s=t

Regardless, when people are on the internet, they are desensitized from what they are saying. There is no need to be condescending to people.

OK I'm not normally a fan of blogs, video or otherwise, but I figured I'd check this out. The factual errors are so glaring it really turned me off. I'm only a minute and a half into it, and I've already heard "prizes" and "buried" - two things that have nothing to do with geocaching...

I just watched the rest and I have to say it did get better. Well, except for the clothing and beauty stuff :rolleyes: What does that have to do with geocaching? But it does show how cute the redhead is :wub:

Keep it up, but please try to get the factual stuff right, and do ask for permission from the cache owners before you publish your videos. Concentrate more on the caches and less on clothing and beauty.

I was talking about clothing and beauty because I make beauty videos on youtube. I am a part-time beauty vlogger. This video was an aside. Something different to share with my viewers. Obviously people can tell the caches aren't buried from the videos. And as you can see, nothing was taken out of the caches, and I put something in every single time.

There are tons of youtubers posting geocaching vlogs.

Wow, tough crowd in here! Don't take what is said in these forums to heart, savannahandstuff - these forums are pretty harsh in general and not representative of the community as a whole. Keep doing what you enjoy, listen to the good bits of advice scattered in amongst the snark, and stay as enthusiastic as you were in this video!

Wow, tough crowd in here! Don't take what is said in these forums to heart, savannahandstuff - these forums are pretty harsh in general and not representative of the community as a whole. Keep doing what you enjoy, listen to the good bits of advice scattered in amongst the snark, and stay as enthusiastic as you were in this video!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment, because I am just so in shock with the negativity in this thread. It was really turning me off from geocaching, which is sad because it is something I love to do. I wonder why these forums are harsh? Perhaps it is because to some people, geocaching is their main time-spender, so they take it extremely seriously. To me, it is a hobby that I do from time to time. I was not aware of these strict rules. I thought it was a bit of fun!

I think the "it's not what you say, but how you say it" line really applies to this thread. It is difficult for me to analyze the criticism openly with the level of snark and condescending attitudes imbedded in the comments. Do people just generally get mad when others blog/make videos about geocaching? I saw a video on youtube about someone who was banned because they vlog geocaching. They never say the name of the geocache, or the coordinates..but yet people get mad. How is it possible to tell what geocache they are even finding if you do not give any details? Additionally, with all the geocaches in the world (there is an insane amount), what are the chances that the person watching the video will be looking for that cache? Also, if people hate geocaching videos, then why do they watch them? Geocaching means different things to different people. Just because someone is not as serious as yourself about it, does not give you the right to put them down.

Spread positive vibes.

I agree with spreading positive vibes, but I don't agree with spreading misinformation. Especially about geocaching, which yes, I am passionate about.

Have you ever said something that came out the wrong way? We are all human! I understand the word "prizes" is not the best way to describe geocaching. By prizes I quite literally meant, little trinkets. You use the word when you're at an arcade or something. As the video shows, there's no prizes in the sense of.... things with monetary value, so I think that people get the gist of what is commonly found in geocaches. The video was a vlog. A vlog is when youtubers film what they are doing that day. It was not an educational video. It was a "follow-me-around" type of video.

Actually, I'm much more offended that a Groundspeak Lackey would say that these forums are not representative of the Geocaching community as a whole, than I am that a smartphone user who has never logged a find on the website made a Geocaching video. :laughing: I especially like the OOTD (Outfit Of The Day) segment, perhaps we could get an established Geocaching Vlogger, like say GeoPaul from the UK, to implement that. Now my 14 yr. old son, who uses this particular computer that is almost always logged into my YouTube account, is going to wonder why I watched a couple of make-up videos. :blink:

I enjoyed the video, not bad for a Noob to geocaching. :laughing: From reading your posts it gave me an idea to create a fashion video with my daughter and post it on my YouTube channel. :P

Thank you! There is a whole community on youtube that consists of beauty/fashion. It would be a really nice hobby to do with your daughter :)

Hobby? :unsure: I'm a professional hairdresser. :anicute:

Actually, I'm much more offended that a Groundspeak Lackey would say that these forums are not representative of the Geocaching community as a whole, than I am that a smartphone user who has never logged a find on the website made a Geocaching video. :laughing: I especially like the OOTD (Outfit Of The Day) segment, perhaps we could get an established Geocaching Vlogger, like say GeoPaul from the UK, to implement that. Now my 14 yr. old son, who uses this particular computer that is almost always logged into my YouTube account, is going to wonder why I watched a couple of make-up videos. :blink:

+1 to your first sentence.

But it's true, the forum culture has evolved differently and reacts differently than most geocachers in general, mostly by being more harsh and critical. I just watched the video twice and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I thought it was entertaining and would be interesting for anyone who did not know what geocaching was. She's not new to YouTube and has over 14,000 subscribers, mostly by being upbeat and positive. I don't think that there are 14,000 regular subscribers to this forum or even 140. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

But it's true, the forum culture has evolved differently and reacts differently than most geocachers in general, mostly by being more harsh and critical. I just watched the video twice and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I thought it was entertaining and would be interesting for anyone who did not know what geocaching was. She's not new to YouTube and has over 14,000 subscribers, mostly by being upbeat and positive. I don't think that there are 14,000 regular subscribers to this forum or even 140. :D

I'm baffled at why she would create an account here when she is a successful blogger. I would just guess that she stumbled across geocaching and gave it a try. Well, she over-rated it. It is not a treasure hunt anymore. It is lame urban micros and power trails, caches full of McD's toys if ANY swag, a game played by a generation of smartphone users. Those of us that use GPS devices and enjoy the adventure are few. Many of us have became Waymarkers. :ph34r: The forums here are what is left of the last hold outs that don't use FaceBook or have our own blog site. Well, maybe some of us have a blog site about geocaching. :D

I follow the geocaching vlogger on youtube. His videos can be cheesy but I like his enthusiasm. Some of his finds are really cool and I like how he puts his videos together. They might be spoilers for some, but I dont even live in the states that he caches in so it doesnt effect me. Its not like he posts the GC codes either.

I agree with spreading positive vibes, but I don't agree with spreading misinformation. Especially about geocaching, which yes, I am passionate about.

Have you ever said something that came out the wrong way? We are all human! I understand the word "prizes" is not the best way to describe geocaching. By prizes I quite literally meant, little trinkets. You use the word when you're at an arcade or something. As the video shows, there's no prizes in the sense of.... things with monetary value, so I think that people get the gist of what is commonly found in geocaches. The video was a vlog. A vlog is when youtubers film what they are doing that day. It was not an educational video. It was a "follow-me-around" type of video.

I wouldn't stress too much about being "forum perfect" in your geocaching. Go out, have fun. Vlog your experiences. That's the point. From your video, you looked like you were enjoying what you were doing. So, if the forum gets you down, just remember that you went out and had fun without having read a single word on the forum and you can certainly do it again after.

That being said, you can also use the criticism constructively. If you're going to continue vlogging about geocaching, take the time to learn the lingo and get familiar with the some of the more intimate details of the hobby. It's not a lot and some of it is kind of silly...but as you've seen, people can be pretty passionate about those "silly" things. I'd also be sensitive towards showing the hiding spot in your videos. True, 95% of the time, it really wouldn't give anything away but some cache owners can get pretty uptight about their geocaches.

If you want to get a better experience of what geocachers are like, attend some events. You'll meet all different kinds but what most of them have in common is they're all pretty much like you and I. Normal people who like to go geocaching and most have never logged into the forums.

Geocaching is NOT treasure hunting. And it is not just for adults. I cache with people from 6 to 76. The stuff in them is not a prize. You are supposed to trade up or even. Geocaches are NOT to be buried-and this one wasn't buried. Did the cache owner give you permission to do this? This would be considered a spoiler, and I doubt the cache owner wants that.

I didn't even watch past the first one. Honestly that video shouldn't be up, with it showing spoilers for the caches.

When I go to geocaching.com I see a picture with text that starts, "Geocaching is the real-world treasure hunt that's happening right now, "

When I go to geocaching.com I see a picture with text that starts, "Geocaching is the real-world treasure hunt that's happening right now, "

touché