Cache Rescue And Adoption Area

Team Misguided

At the WSGA Puget Sound Meeting last night we discussed having a way to identify and rescue abandoned caches. This thread will be for the admins to post information on caches that need to be rescued and or adopted.

If you know of a cache that needs adopting you can also post that here. This is not a place to complain about caches. We want to be proactive about preventing geolitter in the Northwest.

Team Misguided

*edit 9-7-2010*

There have been some changes to the way Groundspeak addresses cache adoptions since this thread was started. This thread should now be used to post caches that you would like to put up for adoption or ask for help from the community if you have a temporary situation that prevents you from doing routine cache maintenance.

Team Misguided

Edited by Team Misguided

In a word Yes!

Any of those things could be indicators that a cache needs adopting. It really depends on the individual cache. I get involved in cache adoption situations in basically two ways. I could get an email from a cacher asking to adopt a cache in his/her area or I get a Should Be Archived notice on a cache.

In either case I take a good look at the cache page, read through the history of the cache and look at the owners profile. I send off an email to the registered owner. I might disable the cache if necessary and put a note on the cache page. If I don't get a response from the registered owner then the cache would be one that might be placed up for adoption unfortunately would need to be archived. This would however open the area up for a new cache that would bring people back to enjoy that area again.

If a cache is doing fine on its own I would most likely not do anything except put it on my watch list.

*edited 1-19-2010 to bring statement inline with current guidelines on adoption*

Edited by Team Misguided

How about a blanket offer to check things out with "problem" caches in our area? Most anything within our weekend cacheing circle will do. Let me know which ones and we will get back to you.

As for adopting caches, we will see what happens. There are a lot of cachers in this area so I am sure we could come up with something.

Something like this has been mentioned before but nothing ever come from it.

logscaler.

• Upvote 1
Can someone PLEASE revive Coastal Cavern? Or create a clone? It is near Coos Bay and was a truly wonderful cache which I miss. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see Coastal Cavern revived somehow, too, but I understand why it went away the first time. When we found it, the container was sitting out in plain view near a lot of evidence that geocachers are not the only regular visitors.

I'd be willing to try and figure out a better way to hide a cache inside the cave if I lived closer, but that's not happening. It'll probably take someone very local and dedicated to the cache to keep it going successfully.

There are two caches that we would like to adopt. We are already maintaining them. The last time the owner logged into the website was March 29, 2003. The caches are Avery Mary's Cache (GC1172) and Ashbrook Cache (GCE09)

We have replaced damaged containers and restocked the caches. The owner has 4 finds and 12 hides. If you read the logs for most of his caches, they need maintenance.

Since you're looking for "retired" cache hiders, I'd like to bring up a user name that I've come across who seems to have lost interest. fooshfoosh's caches are mostly archived, but there are a few out there still going. I'd be willing to take over "Nick Nolte's Private Diary", although I'd most likely re-hide it in a better spot.

I'll also volunteer to be the last finder and "trash-er out-er" for "Look out for danger Rick" when the snow melts, since it's in a National Forest. Anyone want to join me?

There are a few more fooshfoosh ones out there, but not in my area.

Og

He also has one up on Beacon Rock in the columbia river gorge...still active:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...be-a25a57d1c701

When I found the cache, it was right next to where someone decided to take a dump. Gross!!!!! It was untouched though adn I moved it a couple feet higher. This was June 2003. Kind of a wierd name...Sean Connery. After the James Bond actor.

Since you're looking for "retired" cache hiders, I'd like to bring up a user name that I've come across who seems to have lost interest.  fooshfoosh's caches are mostly archived, but there are a few out there still going.  ...

I'll also volunteer to be the last finder and "trash-er out-er" for "Look out for danger Rick"  when the snow melts, since it's in a National Forest.  Anyone want to join me?

Og

Hey Og, I'll go with you to look for danger Rick. I doubt that it's still there, but someone should go look for it to make sure.

My very first find was a fooshfoosh cache. So long ago now...

Since you're looking for "retired" cache hiders, I'd like to bring up a user name that I've come across who seems to have lost interest. fooshfoosh's caches are mostly archived, but there are a few out there still going. I'd be willing to take over "Nick Nolte's Private Diary", although I'd most likely re-hide it in a better spot.

I'll also volunteer to be the last finder and "trash-er out-er" for "Look out for danger Rick" when the snow melts, since it's in a National Forest. Anyone want to join me?

Og

Count me in. Unfound in 2.5 years! Don't have many of those long unfound ones left.

Og

This log for this cache indicates that his hotmail account is bouncing email. That is the address on the cache page. Somebody who has been out to Tatoosh might want to take over that one.

My third find was Wash out for that Lake and I would be willing to take that one over.

FooshFoosh has had some really great ones. I think he kinda shows up evey now and then. Has anyone tried to contact him? He has one that is in my top ten out at ocean shores. Damon Nomad I think it's called. It needs a replacement. I keep meaning to do that every time I go out in that direction but I haven't been able to yet. Please SAVE IT!

He also has a virtual on the tip of Cape Flattery. Great Spot! I've been there many times but not since the cache.

I would like to adopt at least 2 in my area--!!--They were my first ones to find when i got my GPS and was great area's to plant them in--!!--they just needed hidden a lot better--!! and one was just plain removed--!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c4-3d10ee00d183

this one is archived and i tryed to contact the owner and tell him i would take it over but i have not heard a word--!!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...93-95fd94d052da

this one is not listed anymore and been archived for quite a while--!!

i emailed the owner with no luck also--!!

i would be willing to take these over since i live in the area and i have 2 more in the areas near there--!!

please let me know if i can and would be glad to--!!

archuka--cheyenne, wyo

archuka@yahoo.com-----307-421-7470 cell phone

thanks

;)

Speaking of Fooshfoosh caches...

We visited "You Whistle Punk" (GC315D) today, and are willing to adopt and care for it. The current container is small, cracked, and has a chunk missing. We guess the ziplock bag it's in and a holey garbage bag are still keeping it dry; only the "logbook" is slightly damp. We plan on visiting the area again in about a month (after snow in higher elevations is gone), and could replace the container with an ammo can and leave a logbook. Let us know.

Also, there have been 3 no-find logs in a row on Sean Connery (GC5FFE). We want to hike up there rather soon, and hopefully can find it (or verify that it's gone).

Since you're looking for "retired" cache hiders, I'd like to bring up a user name that I've come across who seems to have lost interest.  fooshfoosh's caches are mostly archived, but there are a few out there still going.  I'd be willing to take over "Nick Nolte's Private Diary", although I'd most likely re-hide it in a better spot.

I'll also volunteer to be the last finder and "trash-er out-er" for "Look out for danger Rick"  when the snow melts, since it's in a National Forest.  Anyone want to join me?

Og

We, the Peanut Butter Brigade, did a clean up on that cache Nick Nolte's Diary last summer. It still needs things.

It's really to far for any of us to maintain. It could use a better hiding spot and coords too!

Og, I think it would be awesome if you could take over the Nick Nolte cache. It's a beautiful park, and one of the older caches around -- well worth saving. Like you, I think that moving the cache to a better spot would be a good idea.

As Donna said, the PBB unoficially adopted the cache, but we are too far away to really maintain it. We did manage to replace waterlogged items, baggies, etc., last summer. Another cacher in the community replaced the container soon afterward. Obviously, people think it's worth keeping around. :rolleyes:

Cin

Just found this topic. Hope it's okay for a California cacher to chime in here.

We have plenty of abandoned caches around here. One prolific hider of micros (and a couple of regular sized caches), Ruprex, moved to Long Island and left all of his caches here. At least two that I know of are in need some serious maintenance/log sheet replacement.

Ruprex's email sent through the site currently bounces.

I'm not a big fan of micros, so what I would ask is that someone around here (Northern California, San Jose specifically) adopt these, or that Hemlock archive them. I hesitate to request archiving because some people may still be interested in hunting these.

Hey I have got a rather different story. In hunting Jester's new Micro Multi II I attempted to Bebubo the second waypoint since I was unsure of one of the numbers. It appeared to work as we pulled a 30 cal ammo can from it's hiding place. Imagine my surprise when I found it was a different cache. And I was the first finder. I thought that was a hoot.

Now I think it may have been abandoned before it was ever listed. The can was a littel rusty and the owner has archived all his other caches and doesn't appear to be active anymore. I have e-mailed him and am waiting for a response. Maybe you could see if "Alien Drop Site" was ever submitted by Jherrith.

I would like to take it over and submit it if he doesn't.

Stonewall's Surprise on the north oregon coast is up for adoption!!!!!! i'v noticed from the last posts from the owner on the page that he must have whant wacko :D as you will see when you read the last posts on the site and he left the cache on attended. as it has been down sence september 2003... .

Stonewall's Surprise is 198 feet from an existing cache and should never have been approved to begin with. The area that it is in is not really suitable to multiple caches and Oregon History Lesson #3.1 - Spruce & Cloutrie has been alive and doing well in this location since 2/25/2002. The placer was a bit preturbed when I pointed this out, thus the rather childish last few notes. I do not belive it is still there, the listing should probably be reomved.

[Fooshfoosh] has one that is in my top ten out at ocean shores. Damon Nomad I think it's called. It needs a replacement. I keep meaning to do that every time I go out in that direction but I haven't been able to yet. Please SAVE IT!

EraSeek:

I adopted fooshfoosh's cache Damon A Nomad earlier this year. It was in dire need of attention and fooshfoosh hasn't logged onto the site for almost 16 months.

OhJoy! and I went out on the 4th of April and replaced the moldy peanut butter container with a nice sandy colored ammo can and some good beach swag.

I'm going to attempt to dry out the old logs (some have mold) and see what I can do about... well, shoot... what should I do with them?

It's still a beautiful walk out to the point. 1.5 miles one way providing you have a state parks pass (it's only another .2 or so if you don't) - all soft sand for just over a mile of that walk. When I first found the cache in late December, it was a balmy 32 degree, windless day. I could see the snow capped Olympics and Mt. Rainier in the setting sun while listening to the waves crash on the shore.

Once posted - do we need to follow up with Groundspeak ourselves, or can we expect to see a change after a little research on your end. Just wondering in light of my post above. :D

If I can help in any way let me know.

Sorry for the delay on getting these taken care of. I have sent emails to fooshfoosh and plan on getting to these adoptions soon.

As many of you know I've recently joined the ranks of the the forceably retired. (TMJ that is not TMS, he still has his job thankfully) These last few weeks have been a bit crazy as we adjust to the change.

TMJ

I'm finally working on adoptions today. As for the fooshfoosh caches. I've asked that the three specifically mentioned above be transfered. To refresh:

Nick Nolte --> Og's Outfit

Wash out for that lake--> Weightman

You whistle punk!-->dasein

I archived Sean Connery as it had three no find logs and appears missing.

That leaves the following caches:

Passersby Benchmark

U pick 1100 emus???

and

Look out for Danger Rick! which I doubt is actually there.

If anyone is interested in adopting those last two caches please let me know.

TMJ

I would like to adopt at least 2 in my area--!!--They were my first ones to find when i got my GPS and was great area's to plant them in--!!--they just needed hidden a lot better--!! and one was just plain removed--!!

this one is archived and i tryed to contact the owner and tell him i would take it over but i have not heard a word--!!

i would be willing to take these over since i live in the area and i have 2 more in the areas near there--!!

archuka--cheyenne, wyo

thanks

:D

I think what would be more appropriate for these caches, is for you to create new caches in the same general area. Since the caches are not there now, there is nothing to save other than the location and your memories of the first two caches you found. They can be tribute or Memorial caches. Pot O' Gold by TravisL is an example of placing a new cache in honor of another one.

It's my feeling that adoptions on caches should only be done when the original container and log are in place and it is a good cache other than needing some maintenance. The other thing I take into consideration is, Does this cache meet current guidelines? If it doesn't then I would only transfer ownership if the new owner can bring the cache up to current standards.

TMJ

archuka--cheyenne, wyo

thanks

:D

I think what would be more appropriate for these caches, is for you to create new caches in the same general area. Since the caches are not there now, there is nothing to save other than the location and your memories of the first two caches you found. They can be tribute or Memorial caches. Pot O' Gold by TravisL is an example of placing a new cache in honor of another one.

It's my feeling that adoptions on caches should only be done when the original container and log are in place and it is a good cache other than needing some maintenance. The other thing I take into consideration is, Does this cache meet current guidelines? If it doesn't then I would only transfer ownership if the new owner can bring the cache up to current standards.

TMJ

Well it was in a good place and yes within guidelines !!

that was my thinking too is to just start another one in that same area -- just hide it a little bit better -- the bunker II was in a great place but a little bit on the slick side of the hill so winter time was not good but i do have another place for that cache -- i would like to keep the names is what i was mainly after though -- they depicted the place of the caches--! -- soooooo i get to make new ones now--!!

maybe revisited in front of the names--!!!!!!!----great places for the kids to play -- although some got scared (grandkids didnt like em without papa being there also :o ) ----->>>>> sighs -- have great day--!!

archuka--cheyenne,wy :D

Thanks to TMG for the work in the transfer of the fooshfoosh caches. Wash out for that lake showed up in my owned list this morning. I assume the others were done at the same time. Look for a new logbook and some new goodies in that cache later in the week.

I'm glad to hear you've adopted this cache. It's in a great spot, and I wanted to recommended it for visiting cachers, but it just wasn't in good enough shape. Thanks for stepping up! :unsure:

cin

I need to put a few caches up for adoption:

On the Road to Evil (GCHNRG)

King Arthur Digs In (GCHHH5)

Depot Lite (GCHEBY)

We don't have enough car seats in the van to take all 5 children with us to Boise, so these are the 3 we decided to leave behind. :mad:

I hope they go to a good home, with caring, loving parents.

Just trying to be poactive about our abandoned caches.

Cabbie

Edited by cabbie

If you've seen this post:

Cache in Jepoardy

I've emailed the cache owner:

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

-- Copy of email sent to eatmobile--

Hi;

I'm emailing you about one of your geocaches, Last Minute Cache GCB26E. The city of Sammamish / King County have begun construction of a traffic roundabout just S.E. of the cache location. Some of the wilderness area has been taken for that purpose. The area around the cache has been surveyed and flagged. The construction has not disturbed the location yet, but it appears to be possible. I live very close to this cache and your other one, klahanie hike GCB26B. In the event that you are no longer interested, I am willing to take them over for you.

Thanks;

Bob

McLaughlin's Marauders

and recieved the reply :

I moved away from that area so that would definitely be helpful.

thanks

--- On Fri 05/21, < marauders@> wrote:

To: eatmobile@

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:28:59 -0700

Subject: [GEO] McLaughlin's Marauders contacting you from Geocaching.com

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

<snip>

I am willing to adopt Last Minute Cache GCB26E and klahanie hike GCB26B if it's necessary.

I can FWD the email trail to the Mods. if necessary also. :blink:

Thanks

Bob

McLaughlin's Marauders

Howdy!

We placed Osborn Point two years ago. We love the location, but I've been concerned lately that we were not able to maintain it properly as we had not been back to the cache since placing it. (are we bad cache owners? <_< ) Add to that, we are moving this weekend, making it even more unlikely that we would be able to maintain the cache properly.

As you can see from the recent logs, the location is a nice one. Would anyone be interested in adopting this cache from us?

cheers

Team Wallace

paul

A fellow cacher emailed me about a local problem. Turns out that the owner of two caches moved away about 6 months ago. I'd found one of their caches close to the house and was maintaining it for the owner. Didn't know about the other cache until the email.

The owner kindly archived both caches and I was able to pull them out, refurbish (had to completely replace one), and put them back with new names and slightly new hiding spots.

You might have better luck getting TPTB to archive the cache for you. Then you should be free to replace it -- perhaps even with the same physical container. I don't know if you could use the same name or not.

Anway, "Auburndale the 2nd" and "WITS END" have both been approved as replacements for "Auburndale Park" and 'Pumpkin Patch".

--KG7JE