GPSMAP 64 series

Looking at getting a GPSMAP 64 series to replace the Monterra with its spinning compass.

Just for the record the spinning compass has been fixed for quite a while now in newer software versions.

Thank you yogazoo. We updated it (3.20) and it stopped spinning, now it is just 60 degrees off on the main compass when the geocache compass is spot on. Weird.

I am going to update it tomorrow to 3.50 in hopes of fixing that issue.

still looking to get a 64 tho as a backup.

Looking at getting a GPSMAP 64 series to replace the Monterra with its spinning compass. I had a 60CSX that would only take 4gb microSD, I am curious how much the 64s take?

thanks in advance.

Before you buy, read some reviews and pay attention to the non-rave reviews. I am about to return my SECOND 64s for the same reasons.

I use mine for bicycling and have had LOADS of mileage and speed problems. Here are some examples. I finished a ride and logged my mileage: 16 miles. The next day, I go back to the trailhead and when I turn the unit on, it is showing 20 miles. Where did the extra mileage come from, since the unit was turned off? Another time, I just finished a reset and am pulling away from my car; the distance indicated 10 *FEET* and then jumped to 14 *MILES*! I also have track logs with strange jumps and showing speeds of 70+ MPH to a record of 179 MPH . . . on a bicycle!

Yes, I've updated to latest firmware and tried everything Garmin suggested. The most convincing evidence that here is an internal problem with these units was when I had it sitting on my desk and the unit tracked me as moving 1.5 miles in 20 minutes.

I know there are a lot of rave reviews on this unit, but what are the odds of me getting two bad ones in a row?

Nope, I'd look at another model if I were you.

I use mine for bicycling and have had LOADS of mileage and speed problems. Here are some examples. I finished a ride and logged my mileage: 16 miles. The next day, I go back to the trailhead and when I turn the unit on, it is showing 20 miles. Where did the extra mileage come from, since the unit was turned off? Another time, I just finished a reset and am pulling away from my car; the distance indicated 10 *FEET* and then jumped to 14 *MILES*! I also have track logs with strange jumps and showing speeds of 70+ MPH to a record of 179 MPH . . . on a bicycle!

Same problem I have having with my Garmin GPSMAP 62s.... I will bike ride 12 miles, then turn on my unit at the house which is miles away, and suddenly it will add "as the crow" flies distance to the odomeeters.... The Dakota, Etrex 10, and Venture HC do not do this, so it makes the GPSMAP useless for bike riding. So I'm guessing Garmin hasn't fixed that problem with the GPSMAP 64 either.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I've never had any issues with my 64 expectantly adding strange mileage. I expect the unit add crow flight distance so maybe what I'm expecting it when others are not.

I don't get what you are saying: you *expect* the unit to add mileage, even when turned off? If that is indeed what you are saying, I am really curious why you would expect such behavior.

Same problem I have having with my Garmin GPSMAP 62s.... I will bike ride 12 miles, then turn on my unit at the house which is miles away, and suddenly it will add "as the crow" flies distance to the odomeeters.... The Dakota, Etrex 10, and Venture HC do not do this, so it makes the GPSMAP useless for bike riding. So I'm guessing Garmin hasn't fixed that problem with the GPSMAP 64 either.

Sorry to hear I am not the only one, but at the same time, I think this again points to some flaw in the design. Since the 64 is basically a 62 with some added features, on some level, it does make sense they'd have problems in common with each other.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I've never had any issues with my 64 expectantly adding strange mileage. I expect the unit add crow flight distance so maybe what I'm expecting it when others are not.

I don't get what you are saying: you *expect* the unit to add mileage, even when turned off? If that is indeed what you are saying, I am really curious why you would expect such behavior.

OK, Let's say I'm hiking along and recording my tracklog and my batteries die without me realizing it (or the unit shuts down for some unknown reason). After I replace the batteries and turn the unit back on, the tracklog will connect my last known point to my current position and give me an as-the-crow-flies measurement of the distance. Better than no data during the time the unit was off. This is the behavior I would want and expect from the GPS. Your expectations or preferences may be different. Could Garmin change it to behave in a way you expect? Sure. But, at least it seems as though more people out there expect it to behave how I described.

If you don't want a long connecting track line to span tens or hundreds of miles then save and clear your tracklog at the end of one adventure and clear it out before you begin the next.

OK, Let's say I'm hiking along and recording my tracklog and my batteries die without me realizing it (or the unit shuts down for some unknown reason). After I replace the batteries and turn the unit back on, the tracklog will connect my last known point to my current position and give me an as-the-crow-flies measurement of the distance. Better than no data during the time the unit was off. This is the behavior I would want and expect from the GPS. Your expectations or preferences may be different. Could Garmin change it to behave in a way you expect? Sure. But, at least it seems as though more people out there expect it to behave how I described.

If you don't want a long connecting track line to span tens or hundreds of miles then save and clear your tracklog at the end of one adventure and clear it out before you begin the next.

That's exactly how my 60csx has always behaved and as I would expect it to as well. When I want a break in tracking I do as suggested. I turn off tracking, save the track, clear it, and turn it back on. I would expect that this bahvior and track clearing requirement would be continued through to the current models.

Record and save tracks. That's you're answer. Works perfectly for me.

Drive to Park A.

Reset current track.

Go hiking.

Go back to car.

Save current track.

(filename defaults to date and time)

Drive to Park B.

Reset current track.

Go hiking.

Go back to car.

Save current track.

At home, load both tracks into BaseCamp. Displays lots of statistics plus it shows the track on the map.