Does this animal exist?

Hi All,

I am a nature photographer who enjoys traveling the back-roads to find good locations for my images. I have a PU with slide-in camper that allows me to get to out-of-the-way spots with some comfort (the old back can't handle the Thermorest anymore, LOL). I am trying to find an in-dash GPS (hopefully with stereo) that will allow me to tag locations for future visits for shooting. I also enjoy night photos so having an accurate location is helpful after dark.

I would like the ability to tag locations as I drive, tag locations off the road (usually no more than a mile off using Android) and be able to take this info back to the in-dash unit, add text to tag to help describe highlights, and be able to download all of this information onto my desktop to help plan future trips which I can then load back into the in-dash unit.

Does such an animal exist?

BTW, I travel in US and Canada.

Many thanks for your time and response.

Rick

As I read the opening post I find the desired unit described as in-dash three times. If this is the true intent, I expect that the OP wants the desired unit to replace the OEM, factory installed radio unit in the dashboard of his vehicle.

I know that there are NUVIs that stick on a windshield with suction devices, but are there models which may be installed as replacements inside the dashboard?

Example: When the AM/FM/Cassette died in the dashboard of our Jeep GC, I had Circuit City replace it with an FM/AM/CD unit (which was not external to the dashboard).

"As I read the opening post I find the desired unit described as in-dash three times. If this is the true intent, I expect that the OP wants the desired unit to replace the OEM, factory installed radio unit in the dashboard of his vehicle."

That's exactly correct CowboyPapa. That's what I'm trying to find.

Hi All,

I am a nature photographer who enjoys traveling the back-roads to find good locations for my images. I have a PU with slide-in camper that allows me to get to out-of-the-way spots with some comfort (the old back can't handle the Thermorest anymore, LOL). I am trying to find an in-dash GPS (hopefully with stereo) that will allow me to tag locations for future visits for shooting. I also enjoy night photos so having an accurate location is helpful after dark.

I would like the ability to tag locations as I drive, tag locations off the road (usually no more than a mile off using Android) and be able to take this info back to the in-dash unit, add text to tag to help describe highlights, and be able to download all of this information onto my desktop to help plan future trips which I can then load back into the in-dash unit.

Does such an animal exist?

BTW, I travel in US and Canada.

Many thanks for your time and response.

Rick

Bolding mine

You won't find an indash nav sytem that will allow you to make changes while the vehicle is in motion. You're supposed to be driving not texting or playing with your GPS.

That is one of the complaints a friend has with the nav/stereo system in her Xterra. As the navigator, I can't make changes to it while we're in motion. We have to come to a complete stop and then reprogram it. I have more success using my Nuvi.

Thanks to all who responded. After speaking to Garmin, this animal does not exist. The feature to allow download of info from in-dash to PC is not available. Looks like some type of Nuvi will have to be the workaround. I appreciate your replies and thanks for your time.

Rick

The Garmin Montana has spoken turn-by-turn directions (if you get routable maps for it), an optional charging mount for the car, and can be removed if you go out on foot. It's one of the few "hiking GPSrs" that speaks driving directions loud and clear. You can download waypoints and tracks using PC software called "Garmin Basemap", which automagically displays whatever maps are on the GPSr. My brother has a Montana, and I was duly impressed.

Edited by kunarion

I am trying to find an in-dash GPS (hopefully with stereo)...

And we stop right there. First, most of the aftermarket in-dash units are from China, using mapping software written in Joe's Taiwanese Garage Shop. Among dozens of other deficiencies, especially in off-road settings, they won't even offer features like 'mark a waypoint'. Next, even a good stand-alone automotive GPS is going to try to lock you to known roads. Get too far off road, and it will refuse to take you back there (i.e., "No route found").

I'm a big fan of using a stand-alone automotive GPS for gross navigation (nearest road location or coordinates), but when it comes to real out-back use, I think you will be much happier with a handheld that is purpose built for this kind of work, and almost all of them will do what you need done. Some of them even include cameras so you can 'geotag' the location of the photo so you'll remember why it was you wanted to return.

Edited by ecanderson