Garmin Montana battery failure?

mamoreb

Hi,

After trying to charge my Garmin Montana overnight for the first time in China, my GPS will no longer start. When I connect it to a power source (and I have tried 3 different sources and cables), the GPS displays the startup screen, then goes into charging/USB mode for some minutes, and then shuts down. This process repeats itself.

When I replace the standard battery with AA battery, the GPS runs normally.

Is it likely that the battery or the battery connectors are broken?

Is it possible to buy a new Li-Ion battery? Should I buy it from Garmin, or might I be able to find a safe one in a normal store (...in China)?

Will appreciate any advice you can give!

As your Montana runs on AA cells I think it is most likely to be the li-ion battery at fault. There is documented evidence, montana wiki, that the battery contacts have disintegrated when used in environments where vibration was an issue. Yes you can buy replacement battery packs, easily available on line As it runs on AA's could you not purchase some Eneloop cells and a decent charger, maha for instance. Simply carry some spares and change the battery setting on the montana.

Edited by andyakashrek

Thank you for all of your advice! Strangely, my battery works just fine when charging it back home... I might buy a backup battery from Garmin after all. Already have rechargeable batteries, but I didn't take the charger to China, so I survived on a couple of regular AA batteries.