explorist GC

I have just got my explorist GC unit and I've done the software update, Magellan Communicator install and I can't do anything from there. When I try to send a cache to my GPS, it says "Magellan Communicator not found". I have installed and uninstalled 50 times and it will only appear if I use Internet Explorer, which I hate. (I use Google Chrome) When I then go to download the cache, it says it's a .loc file and I can't open it!! What am I doing wrong??

I have just got my explorist GC unit and I've done the software update, Magellan Communicator install and I can't do anything from there. When I try to send a cache to my GPS, it says "Magellan Communicator not found". I have installed and uninstalled 50 times and it will only appear if I use Internet Explorer, which I hate. (I use Google Chrome) When I then go to download the cache, it says it's a .loc file and I can't open it!! What am I doing wrong??

Probably nothing. Mine has been acting up lately (windows XP). The Magellan (and Garmin) communicator's seem to break often, and it's up to them (the GPS manufacturers) to fix them. And of course they have many Operating Systems and browsers to deal with. In the particular case of Magellan, they've pretty much given up on Geocaching, and are concentrating on the fitness watch market, as well as automotive systems. You can put the blame there on smartphone apps. :laughing:

Most recently with myself, I can't get it to work for crap on Firefox, my browser of choice, so I've resorted to Chrome. But I most definitely am getting .gpx files, and full paperless capability. I can't imagine why it's only giving you .loc's if you're a premium member.

Is your Premium Membership from the 30-day trial from certificate?

If so, had you loaded caches before activating that trial offer?

If you had loaded caches before PM went into effect -- you need to delete ALL cache info loaded before going Premium*.

Any existing LOC data within the unit will cause the unit to read GPX data as it does LOC. Get rid of it and it should work fine.

EDIT: *This includes any data loaded since that time. It is now contaminated. Remove all loaded data and start over fresh.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

For some unknown reason, the GC gives LOC files higher precedence than GPX files, meaning that it will overwrite a newer GPX file with an older LOC file. Follow G-G's advice and delete everything out of the Geocache and Waypoint directories and start over.

If you can't get the Magellan Communicator to work, just use "GPX File" instead of "Send to GPS", then copy/move the file to the Geocache directory manually. I use Google Chrome and haven't had any problem other than the pop-up that wants me to reinstall Magellan Communicator every time I try to use it.