Navigating a track with Etrex 30 using compass/CDI pointer

I have just purchased a new Etrex 30 and it is driving me mad. I have upgraded from an original Etrex Legend. I am trying to navigate tracks and trackbacks using the CDI compass mode. On my old legend the pointer pointed to the direction of the track and the course deviation bar moved to one side if you drifted off track. No matter what I have tried I cannot get the Etrex 30 to act the same way as the legend. The CDI needle just stays pointing at the same course bearing and doesn't show any track deviation whatsoever. The only time the CDI works if you select direct to a waypoint or in sight and go mode.

Is this a limitation of the new etrex or am I doing something wrong?

AFAIK that only works when you've selected a point location, and it then shows your drift off line between your original location and your destination.

Thanks.

My old etrex legend could use the CDI when using tracback. How do you follow a track accurately with out it(deviation from track). The map is quite confusing to use. The bearing indicator also is not that easy to follow either. If it can't be done using the CDI like I have used before then I will have to think about sending it back.