Garmin etrex20

I just purchased a new Garmin etrex20 (Have been using a Megellan explorist GC that went south) and downloaded a couple of caches into the unit to test. Zooming in all the way to 50 feet I only can see the major highways no side streets. Most of my caching is within the city so side strrets are very important. Also is there away to delete one cache at a time ? Thanks for any help on this map issue.

*Cracks Knuckles*

Alright! biggrin.gif

Firstly, I have an etrex 20 and am sure that you'll love it as much as I do!

The GPS come with a very basic "basemap," It's borderline useless. I'd recommend downloading a free map from either gpsfiledepot.org or openstreetmap.org. Both have excellent maps that are free to download and install on your GPS. If I had to choose, I'd say use openstreetmap. (If you have a question on how to put the maps on your device, just ask!)

Now when you say delete one cache at a time...what do you mean? Do you want to remove them from your map/list of caches on the device? Or delete the file from the unit completely.

If you just want to remove it from the list/map you have to select the cache, "go to" it, and log it as found. (Sorry, I usually have pictures, but it's late and I'm tired tongue.gif)

Deleting the actual file from the device? That depends. If you downloaded them one by one, you'd have to hook up to a computer and simply delete the GC Code of the cache you don't want form the folder titled "GPX"

If you used a pocket query...you can't.

If any of that was too confusing, just ask me to clarify! Good luck!laugh.gif

*Cracks Knuckles*

Alright! biggrin.gif

Firstly, I have an etrex 20 and am sure that you'll love it as much as I do!

The GPS come with a very basic "basemap," It's borderline useless. I'd recommend downloading a free map from either gpsfiledepot.org or openstreetmap.org. Both have excellent maps that are free to download and install on your GPS. If I had to choose, I'd say use openstreetmap. (If you have a question on how to put the maps on your device, just ask!)

Now when you say delete one cache at a time...what do you mean? Do you want to remove them from your map/list of caches on the device? Or delete the file from the unit completely.

If you just want to remove it from the list/map you have to select the cache, "go to" it, and log it as found. (Sorry, I usually have pictures, but it's late and I'm tired tongue.gif)

Deleting the actual file from the device? That depends. If you downloaded them one by one, you'd have to hook up to a computer and simply delete the GC Code of the cache you don't want form the folder titled "GPX"

If you used a pocket query...you can't.

If any of that was too confusing, just ask me to clarify! Good luck!laugh.gif

Thanks for the fast response I really appreciate your help. :) I did go to openstreetmap.org and downloaded map.osm.xml on to the desktop on my MAC Then based on something I saw on YouTube did a drag and drop to the Garmin>Custom Maps folder on the GPS thinking I would see the map to toggle over but was unable to see it. I do see the map on in the folder so the drag and drop was successful. Guess I need to dig further into how to get that map into the GPS or make it visible . Real green at this downloading maps into a gps. I did not buy a mini SD card but it looks like just with this one map that is all that I need that i need to get up and running . Wondering for geocaching only if I need to buy an SD card? Thanks again for your help hope you got a good night’s sleep.

Thanks I did a drag and drop to the Garmin folder on the gps , and it is in there but still cannot see that as a choice on the set> maps only show the ones came with the unit. Perhaps i is the file ext the file name is map.osm.xml . When you installed did you just drag and drop or use something like Garmin install application/ install via basecamp etc. Thanks for your feedback

is it possbile to use this unit in the Car as road gps?

Yup it will route like a car gps (Settings→Routing→Car/Motorcycle).

Be advised the unit will not "talk" it can only "beep" and the screen is pretty small for automotive navigation.

You also will have to load a routable map, such as the openstreetmap mentioned above.

Hello Everyone,

I have just purchased a Etrex20, for the main purpose of inputting new coordinates when working on puzzle caches. I also would like to use it when travelling. I am having difficulty to say the least. I have managed to turn it on and update it via Garmin; however, I cannot get actual Geocaches loaded onto the phone, nor can I figure out how to enter a new coordinate and create a map to that location. Not to mention the maps...yikes. Any advice? The instructions as you know if you have them lack details...

OK.

Firstly, to get geocaches: You must download the GPX file or pocket query to you computer. (I'll assume you know how to do that, if not just ask.) If you get a pocket query, unzip it. Then move the .gpx to the eTrex. Put it in the "GPX" folder, which in turn is inside the "Garmin" folder. They should now appear on your eTrex.

Next, to enter a coordinate, there are two ways. If you are already navigating to a geocache, go to the "Geocaches" tile on the main menu. Scroll down to "Enter Next Stage" and click that with the joystick. You should now have a screen to input new coords.

Now for the maps. The GPS comes with a very poor basemap. To get any real use, you'll have to get another map. I recommend Open Street Map. There is a link up above to the site. Again, once you download that, put it in the "Garmin" folder.

I hope I did a clear job at explaining. If you have any more questions, just ask!