Is there such thing?

The Garmin Oregon 6xx and Monterra both have bluetooth and can download caches from a phone.

If you just want to log the finds, you just need the phone by itself and the Groundspeak app. There is no need to connect to another GPS.

Wait, what? How is this done? I can connect my Oregon 650 to another Oregon 6XX with BaseCamp Mobile to transfer waypoints, tracks, routes, geocaches, photos and custom maps, but not to a phone AFAIK.

The Garmin Oregon 6xx and Monterra both have bluetooth and can download caches from a phone.

If you just want to log the finds, you just need the phone by itself and the Groundspeak app. There is no need to connect to another GPS.

Wait, what? How is this done? I can connect my Oregon 650 to another Oregon 6XX with BaseCamp Mobile to transfer waypoints, tracks, routes, geocaches, photos and custom maps, but not to a phone AFAIK.

Yeah, I was wondering that myself. I have an Oregon 650 and I don't think I've ever read of the ability to connect it to my smartphone via Bluetooth. That could come in really handy.

--Larry

From the Garmin 650 website

. Sync your data such as waypoints, geocaches, tracks and images to the Garmin Cloud, and access from anywhere via your smartphone and BaseCamp mobile app. Oregon is also ANT+ wireless compatible with heart rate, chirp and tempe sensors.

The app mentioned is available for iOS. They have been saying for over a year they are developing a android but have not delivers. So if you have a iPhone you can syne the caches.

With android you have to use the USB connection.

. Sync your data such as waypoints, geocaches, tracks and images to the Garmin Cloud, and access from anywhere via your smartphone and BaseCamp mobile app. Oregon is also ANT+ wireless compatible with heart rate, chirp and tempe sensors.

The app mentioned is available for iOS. They have been saying for over a year they are developing a android but have not delivers. So if you have a iPhone you can syne the caches.

OK, maybe that's why I quickly learned to ignore those features: I have an Android phone, and I have no intention of getting an i-anything.

Regarding using a USB cable between my 650 and my phone: If I'm at home, I have a PC that performs these functions already. When I'm in the field, I'm not inclined to drag a USB cable around with me.

I guess I'll wait for the so-far-vaporware Android app to check this stuff out.

--Larry

Since I have an iPad, but not an iPhone, I went to the Apple App Store but I only found Garmin Connect, which shows it works with the GPSMap64, but not with any others, and only to view data, no transferring. Then I found BaseCamp Mobile, which only works with the iPhone, not the iPad. So I guess I'll just have to wait for an Android solution. Ugh.

It works on an iPad.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/basecamp-mobile/id556137122

Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5

The app mentioned is available for iOS. They have been saying for over a year they are developing a android but have not delivers. So if you have a iPhone you can sync the caches.

Sorry for not stating that. I had not even looked as I assumed they must have come out with an Android version by now. Sometimes it is hard to figure out what goes on over at Garmin HQ....

It works on an iPad.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/basecamp-mobile/id556137122

Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5

Very interesting. I have an iPad2 wifi+cellular and it is not compatible. (I guess it must not be 3rd generation) Won't even let me download it from the app store.

Requirements

No soup for you

Basecamp mobile is extremely limited for what I would like it to do - transfer search results or pocket queries from my phone or ipad to the gpsr. I can open up a GPX file through it or transfer a file to the cloud, but it will only transfer the geocaches as waypoints (and then they must be selected individually). It has been much more efficient for me to use a portable wifi router, such as Kingston MobileLite, which is about the size of my phone; connect my Oregon 600 with a USB cable; and transfer the complete information from my caching app to the gpsr. If I didn't want to carry the cable, I could do it through the sd card.

It would be even more direct with an Android, but I really like the caching app I use. I can't recall the last time I connected the Oregon to a computer in order to load caches.

Edited by geodarts