importing GPS tracklog to android phone

Hi all,

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I have an etrex20 gps and an android phone. I am going to be doing a 21 day hike, and want to be able to use my gps track to geotag photos when I get home. Saving the tracklog each day on the GPS throws out the time stamp so I thought it might be possible to save the daily tracklogs to my phone and then import them when I get home (presumably retaining the time stamps doing it this way).

I realise that this isn't directly geocaching related, but thought it might be something that a geocacher would find useful to be able to do, and hence might have done it!

My two questions are:

Is this possible? and How would one do it?

many thanks

Sean Comber

Hi all,

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I have an etrex20 gps and an android phone. I am going to be doing a 21 day hike, and want to be able to use my gps track to geotag photos when I get home. Saving the tracklog each day on the GPS throws out the time stamp so I thought it might be possible to save the daily tracklogs to my phone and then import them when I get home (presumably retaining the time stamps doing it this way).

I realise that this isn't directly geocaching related, but thought it might be something that a geocacher would find useful to be able to do, and hence might have done it!

My two questions are:

Is this possible? and How would one do it?

many thanks

Sean Comber

The easiest solution is to use BaseCamp to geotag your photos. You can do +/- time shifts of the tracklog/photos to one sec precision and up to 24-hours. BC is a real porker so if you want a light weight solution, use ExifTool, but you'll have to use the command line.

Not an answer for the OP, just a....

Question.....On the newer model GPSs, since when did "saving" a track delete the time stamp?

None of my 5 units do that...........

You read "throws out" as delete, I read it as a time shift.

"Date and Time created" info is exactly the same as Date and time logged by the GPS.....

so no "time is thrown out" or "shifted" whether it be in a "saved track" or "Archived track"

I used the track files from my eTrex 30 all the time. I just copied them from the device into the folder with the pictures and then ran the geotagging software. I have never seen or heard of an instance where the time stamps on the track points were lost when saving.

That is why in my earlier post I specifically referred to "newer models". (Etrex 30 does NOT strip the timestamp when saving)

That being said, if the user is using some "off the wall" third party software to handle the downloaded data from the GPS, "whichever" software that is, may.

Some track editing softwares do strange and mysterious things to the data.

Older units with the original Garmin OS (pre-Colorado) would strip time data when manually saving the tracks on the unit.

As I recall from my old eTrex Vista you could get the time stamps by directly importing Current.gpx in MapSource. Also Current.gpx allowed more points than a saved track.