Bribing US To Transfer Our Caches To A Competing Site

So, I got the email yesterday that a competing cache listing service was giving those metal p-word tags for every 5 hides. I pretty much ignored it until I saw fb today.

They actually say transfer your caches to their site as well as hide to get credit.

Is it just me or is that a bit of dirty dealing?

I get that site wanting to build up their database, but bribing folks to transfer caches is a bit cheesy don'tcha think?

Competition is a good thing but I guess dirty dealing is all that site has up its sleeve. Perhaps my next GPS will be a Magellan. :mellow:

My blood doesn't bleed green. I just think that approach is beneath the company behind that site.

What do you folks think?

I think I'll give 'em my Terracaches to get the free tag. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Dirty dealing? Meh. Sounds like Capitalism at it's finest. In the end, I don't care how much competing sites "bribe" folks. If they don't have the same or better functionality, it's pretty much a dead idea. 10+ years into the game, I would say that most other sites have missed the boat.

I like your idea about getting the free tags though :)

Dirty dealing? Meh. Sounds like Capitalism at it's finest. In the end, I don't care how much competing sites "bribe" folks. If they don't have the same or better functionality, it's pretty much a dead idea. 10+ years into the game, I would say that most other sites have missed the boat.

I guess you're right. So maybe my blood does have a teensy bit of green in it for me to react that way. I have invested 9+ years of quality time here.

There was an ubstantiated rumor I heard at GWX and this campaign fit right in with it. :ph34r::unsure:

I like your idea about getting the free tags though :)

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Funny thing. Corp of Discovery and I were discussing competing listing services and I made the statement that it would now take at least 15 to 20 years + for a competing cache listing service to make a dent in Groundspeak's market unless they bought Groundspeak's database. I never considered this angle and now here it is....

So, I got the email yesterday that a competing cache listing service was giving those metal p-word tags for every 5 hides. I pretty much ignored it until I saw fb today.

They actually say transfer your caches to their site as well as hide to get credit.

I get that site wanting to build up their database, but bribing folks to transfer caches is a bit cheesy don'tcha think?

Competition is a good thing but I guess dirty dealing is all that site has up its sleeve. Perhaps my next GPS will be a Magellan. :mellow:

I have said the same thing, and I now call my latest GPSr Maggie. Go for it. :lol:

This is, I believe, their third "place caches on our site" contest in their [profanity deleted] existance. I actually deleted the email without looking, so thanks for the update. :)

I have said the same thing, and I now call my latest GPSr Maggie. Go for it. :lol:

This is, I believe, their third "place caches on our site" contest in their [profanity deleted] existance. I actually deleted the email without looking, so thanks for the update. :)

I believe in competition. I was happy to hear that Garmin had started a listing service. The problem with 800 pound gorillas is that they can get lax and spend more time admiring their reflection than moving forward and competition helps keep them focused on the banana on the string.

This campaign just feels underhanded to me. Not something I wanna be part of unless it's to unload my Terracaches and Navicaches. :anibad:

Edited by Snoogans

snip%<...

I think I'll give 'em my Terracaches to get the free tag. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Did they actually say TRANSFER (as in move to ours and delete theirs)? or was the deal to cross link listings? That would be a big difference! And of course the deal only means what it says, YOUR owned caches.

I haven't seen anything like that here so far.

Doug 7rxc

Did they actually say TRANSFER (as in move to ours and delete theirs)? or was the deal to cross link listings? That would be a big difference!

It didn't take me long to find a blog post with the deal, and it says "every five caches you hide or transfer". They don't say anything about removing them from this site, but it seems implied to me.

Also, later in that blog post, they give a brief primer on geocaching. It says "The minimum that you need is a Garmin GPS unit..." <_<

Shameful.

Also, later in that blog post, they give a brief primer on geocaching. It says "The minimum that you need is a Garmin GPS unit..." <_<

Shameful.

Shameful?

They, presumably, are setting this up, paying for it etc... yes? Why not advertise? I'm sure people are smart enough to realise that other GPS units are available (I'd argue, of course, that the minimum you need is a device which can access the website; I rarely use any form of GPS unit...)

Heck, I get advertising here all the time. Nothing wrong with that either.

Did they actually say TRANSFER (as in move to ours and delete theirs)? or was the deal to cross link listings? That would be a big difference!

It didn't take me long to find a blog post with the deal, and it says "every five caches you hide or transfer". They don't say anything about removing them from this site, but it seems implied to me.

Also, later in that blog post, they give a brief primer on geocaching. It says "The minimum that you need is a Garmin GPS unit..." dry.gif

Shameful.

Hey, at least they are advocating the use of a real GPS unit. They could have said all you need is a "smartphone".

They, presumably, are setting this up, paying for it etc... yes? Why not advertise?

Hey, I don't have a problem with them advertising their units. I do have a problem with them saying one of their units is required. I'd be fine if that line said "The minimum that you need is a GPS unit. We recommend our line of handheld GPS devices..."

Shameful.

Shameful?

They, presumably, are setting this up, paying for it etc... yes? Why not advertise? I'm sure people are smart enough to realise that other GPS units are available (I'd argue, of course, that the minimum you need is a device which can access the website; I rarely use any form of GPS unit...)

Because its a lie? You don't need a Garmin GPS to geocache. I'm sure there are plenty of wannabe geocachers that don't realize yet that it isn't just a Garmin thing.

Also, later in that blog post, they give a brief primer on geocaching. It says "The minimum that you need is a Garmin GPS unit..." dry.gif

Shameful.

Hey, at least they are advocating the use of a real GPS unit. They could have said all you need is a "smartphone".

And to show you how brain dead OC is they offer a smartphone app.

Shameful.

Shameful?

Because its a lie? You don't need a Garmin GPS to geocache. I'm sure there are plenty of wannabe geocachers that don't realize yet that it isn't just a Garmin thing.

I don't see a problem with them saying bring your caches to us and use our products, if people want to do that it's the players choice. Cachers seem to get their panties in a wad very easily.

If Garmin actually picked and chose worthy and unique caches that are worth finding and made thier own app for finding them I would buy one. I hate to say it but 99 out of a hundred hides isn't worth finding if you are not into the "numbers" game.

Edited by Dan2099

Shameful.

Shameful?

I don't see a problem with them saying bring your caches to us and use our products, if people want to do that it's the players choice. Cachers seem to get their panties in a wad very easily.

If Garmin actually picked and chose worthy and unique caches that are worth finding and made thier own app for finding them I would buy one. I hate to say it but 99 out of a hundred hides isn't worth finding if you are not into the "numbers" game.

Wow, post #15, and this is the most support I ever saw Garmin get for Opencaching.com in any thread to date! It was started in December 2010, and we're already seeing people who don't know the "history" of why it was started, and their unbelieveably clueless blunder of using the Opencaching name, which was in use world-wide for over 6 years. There's way more than I can explain without a Toz length post about why some cachers get their "panties in a wad", and think the website is "shameful". And on top of that, we're just regular players, how you think Groundspeak, it's employees and voluteer reveiwers feel about it? :D

No need to buy their smartphone apps though, they are totally free. Probably 99.5% of the caches you can view on them are just cross-listed from here though.

Cachers seem to get their panties in a wad very easily.

My panties aren't in a bunch. :mellow:

I know I wasn't quoted in your response, but I'll explain my position.

I like Garmin. I like its products. I loved that Garmin started a listing site to compete with this one even though all I ever did there is register and leave.

It's the tactics I don't like. They are cheesy and beneath the Garmin brand in my opinion. TPTB @ Garmin need to fire or reassign the folks running their OC campaign because the tactics they are employing have already hurt their brand for me (I own 4 Garmin GPS units) and I'm willing to bet that I'm not alone in that perception.

Shameful.

Shameful?

But that is NOT what they said. They said that you needed a GARMIN brand GPS if you wanted to geocache. That is not even one little bit true.

As to your second paragraph... Garmin doesn't pick the caches any more than Groundspeak does. Its all about the members in both cases.

Cachers seem to get their panties in a wad very easily.

My panties aren't in a bunch. :mellow:

I know I wasn't quoted in your response, but I'll explain my position.

I like Garmin. I like its products. I loved that Garmin started a listing site to compete with this one even though all I ever did there is register and leave.

It's the tactics I don't like. They are cheesy and beneath the Garmin brand in my opinion. TPTB @ Garmin need to fire or reassign the folks running their OC campaign because the tactics they are employing have already hurt their brand for me (I own 4 Garmin GPS units) and I'm willing to bet that I'm not alone in that perception.

Very well put. I have owned 6 Garmin GPS units (and no others). But that site and its methods put a very bad taste in my mouth.

I will say, though, that this latest tactic sure sounds like an act of desperation to me.

I think I'll list my archived caches! :ph34r:

there you go. I didn't read the email either, but did it say that that caches you're migrating to their site actually have to be findable? In other words, one could move a cache listing even if there isn't a cache to be found.

Perhaps, GS should offer a discount on TB tags for every listing that's moved off that other site onto their site.

Seems it's about time somebody recognize the value in the hiders in this game and courting them with freebies is a good start! JMO!

And a good opinion it is! I share it, but in this case it was done poorly by Garmin. I can't support it.

We think alike:

Me, I had actually pretty much given up on it a couple of years before then. Major selling point I suppose, would be the 1,000 or so locationless caches, including I'm sure every single one that was listed here previously (this site only had about 350 of them before the moratorium).

That's a bit of a irritant to me about this website. Before I continue, let me say that I consider Groundspeak in the highest personal regard and many of the Lackeys and Volunteers are good friends of mine, but this is my opinion and I'm going to share it...

I truly believe that Groundspeak is too busy admiring itself in the mirror and fostering it's mutual admiration society with its otherwise compensated, but unsalaried volunteers to see that LC's are a common theme with other viable cache listing services and mayyybe they should be reintroduced here. :rolleyes:

I noticed on Linkedin this week that Groundspeak is #3 of the top 10 best places to work in Seattle. Yay for them. That is extremely cool. I was and am very impressed with their operation when I visited the Lilypad during the week of GW8. They've really GOT what it takes to take this activity/community on for the long haul. I'd love to work there when I retire in 16 years or so. I am confident that they will still be going strong if the founders don't sell out for bazillions of dollars.

However, they are missing the mark by not providing ALL the caching options that this community desires, but hey they don't have to do they. :unsure: The current competition will most probably NEVER catch up so they have lots of time to look in the mirror and admire. If we could just get a yellow sticky on that mirror reminding them that the worth of this site and all its perks are in no small amount thanks to the hiders and event hosts who further the the site's backbone/database of listings. :mellow:

What do you folks think?

Personally, I could not care less. I'm neither interested into pathtags nor into the competing geocaching site which somehow reminds

me of the challenge project of Groundspeak. The target audiences in both cases are definitely not to paper-oriented fans of complex caches with many stages - not even for 1000 US Dollar I'd try to upload one of my caches on the competing site that offers pathtags (the reason is neither that I am against competing sites nor that the competing site is owned by Garmin).

The key reason is that that site is a real pain for caches like mine.

I guess you could also give them one of your gc.com cache - the competing site does not seem to have a rule for exclusivity of caches (unlike terracaching). Or was it meant to tease Terracaching?

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

It's the tactics I don't like. They are cheesy and beneath the Garmin brand in my opinion.

Other than fanboyism, I'm not sure why offering incentives would be perceived as problem, or why anyone would object to a company pushing their own products on one of their own web properties.

If they really want to offer a good incentive, how about a nice discount for early adopters of their beta quality handhelds?

This campaign just feels underhanded to me. Not something I wanna be part of unless it's to unload my Terracaches and Navicaches. :anibad:

It would be underhanded if you were grabbing other people's cords/caches. But there is nothing underhanded about encouraging you to list your existing caches with them. groundspeek is a listing service. We own the data for our own caches. groundspeek just owns the overall database to which we all contribute, which frankly should be open to everyone.

What do you folks think?

Personally, I could not care less. I'm neither interested into pathtags nor into the competing geocaching site which somehow reminds

me of the challenge project of Groundspeak. The target audiences in both cases are definitely not to paper-oriented fans of complex caches with many stages - not even for 1000 US Dollar I'd try to upload one of my caches on the competing site that offers pathtags.

That site is a real pain for caches that are like mine.

I guess you could also give them one of your gc.com cache - the competing site does not seem to have a rule for exclusivity of caches (unlike terracaching). Or was it meant to tease Terracaching?

Cezanne

I collect pathtags, but I'm not gonna jump through a hoop to get one. Especially not 5 hoops I need to maintain.

Terracaching is gasping its last breaths and they should have pulled the plug on the life support that keeps Navicache running yearrrrrs ago. OC can have My TCs and my single NC. The NC has never been found and I hid it 7 years ago. Most of my TCs are locationless and of the 2 physical TCs one hasn't been found in many years and the other was found one time on 2005.

Face it. The only way Garmin is gonna get any or all of my GC cache listings will be to buy them from Jeremy, Brian, & Elias.

It will take them 20+ years to get where the GC.com database is right now at the rate they are growing and in 20 years that will be a grain of sand on Groundspeak's beach unless governments step in and regulate the crap out of this activity.

Garmin/OC should resign themselves to the disgruntled cacher's niche market for all eternity (face it that's what all the other listing sites became except for movingcache.com) or load up a dump truck full of cash and invite the founders to a private money shower.

There are 1.7 sumthin' million active caches on this site right now. What do you think all of those listings are worth?

At a buck each the price is too low. Even $5 each is too low in my perception. What is the golden number? $10 per listing? $15? $20?

Freaky huh? That magnetic on the McD's dumpster bollard would be worth exactly the same as View Carre, or Necropolis, or Stingray City, in a deal like that.

What ARE our caches really worth? I hope we never find out.

Edited by Snoogans
I will say, though, that this latest tactic sure sounds like an act of desperation to me.

This ^^

But I don't see how any site will ever be a success when 95% of it's caches are cross-listed from other sites.

What IF 50% of the caches from this site are over on that site? I will be using it more. Thats what they are trying to do.

Face it. The only way Garmin is gonna get any or all of my GC cache listings will be to buy them from Jeremy, Brian, & Elias.

This statement is amusing to me. Why should they pay J, B or E for the listings you created? Seems like you should be the one collecting on them.

Shameful.

Shameful?

Meh - semantics though pretty much innit? It's their site, they'll push their products. I prefer the other way of wording it, sure, but I reckon most people are smart enough to figure out there are more GPS units than that. Some of them might even realise they don't even need a dedicated GPS unit, you never know.

But that is NOT what they said. They said that you needed a GARMIN brand GPS if you wanted to geocache. That is not even one little bit true.

They said that a Garmin brand GPS was the minimum you need, which is completely true if you believe any other GPS, including phones, would be an improvement.

As I neither use the other site nor live in your area, I do not care whether your GC listings are offered elsewhere.

I just thought that if you want to get a pathtag, it does not make that much of a difference which caches you crosslist.

If someone bought caches from gc.com, I immediately would archive them. I'm certainly not willing to spend my spare time for maintaining caches that are used to earn money by others. My caches are my property.

It will take them 20+ years to get where the GC.com database is right now at the rate they are growing and in 20 years that will be a grain of sand on Groundspeak's beach unless governments step in and regulate the crap out of this activity.

Actually, I believe that the latter will happen and much before the 20 years.

Cezanne

Shameful.

Shameful?

Meh - semantics though pretty much innit? It's their site, they'll push their products. I prefer the other way of wording it, sure, but I reckon most people are smart enough to figure out there are more GPS units than that. Some of them might even realise they don't even need a dedicated GPS unit, you never know.

It is deceptive. Perhaps the term "deceptive marketing" is a bit redundant, but I still don't like it, no matter who it comes from. I reject it, and I rebel against it. And I will call it out, given the opportunity.

They said that a Garmin brand GPS was the minimum you need, which is completely true if you believe any other GPS, including phones, would be an improvement.

Point taken. I admit that I missed that word.

If someone bought caches from gc.com, I immediately would archive them. I'm certainly not willing to spend my spare time for maintaining caches that are used to earn money by others. My caches are my property.

Cezanne

Ummm...you are already spending your spare time maintaining caches that are used to earn money by others. :)

It would be underhanded if you were grabbing other people's cords/caches. But there is nothing underhanded about encouraging you to list your existing caches with them. groundspeek is a listing service. We own the data for our own caches. groundspeek just owns the overall database to which we all contribute, which frankly should be open to everyone.

We are not in disagreement. My perception is just different than yours.

I almost jumped ship to TC in late 2004. A few of my friends did and a few more in 2005. I played for both teams, but when TC turned negaive towards GC and for a few other reasons, I bailed. NC never went anywhere and was populated by GC rejects last time I bothered to look which was several years ago. The original OC failed to launch in the U.S. for the most part, but got some play across the pond. This new OC has failed to impress me starting with the confusing name having been around in the opening moments of the original OC. I checked in on the new OC like twice and once was to start a thread warning them not to become a GC hater society because there is just no sense in it and there were a couple negative threads up on their forum at the time.

What does that leave? I don't need perks to hide a cache. I hide when I want to hide. BUT, what I want is stability and choices and I'm honestly put off by this most recent tactic by OC.

Think about it. Who is going to make a commitment to maintain 5 caches for a pathtag?

Anyone who thinks this isn't going to be more of the same is kidding themselves. TC touted itself a a quality listing service and it was more of the same. Caching is what it is and anyone thinking that the OC team is gonna pull their wagon in a better direction is sadly mistaken unless they buy the GC database, poll the community, and then give it what it really wants. Fat chance.

I will stick with the frog. This site still has a 93% approval rating from me. That's a B+ right? No one else has made the grade yet.

This statement is amusing to me. Why should they pay J, B or E for the listings you created? Seems like you should be the one collecting on them.

I disagree. Groundspeak doesn't charge me to list my caches. I freely submitted my caches to their database. They own and maintain the database which is theirs to sell if they choose. I can archive my listings if I don't like the new owner, or they try to charge me to keep my listings, or if I just don't feel like maintaining them anymore.

Think about it. Who is going to make a commitment to maintain 5 caches for a pathtag?

Again amusing, when you are already doing it for nothing! <_<:unsure:

I'm doing it for nothing on a much more viable database that is maintained by people I know and like (for the most part) even if I don't have 100% satisfaction with Groundspeak or agree with all of its decisions as a guiding entity.

[Meanwhile, someone sitting in a cubicle at 1 Infinate Loop inquisitively frowns as he looks at the computer screen. Then quietly messages his assistant to "Purchase domains 'Igeocaching.all' and 'Icaching.all.' Budget $2.5M"...]

Are there any numbers as to how many people use the Iphone to cache versus all other devices?

[Meanwhile, someone sitting in a cubicle at 1 Infinate Loop inquisitively frowns as he looks at the computer screen. Then quietly messages his assistant to "Purchase domains 'Igeocaching.all' and 'Icaching.all.' Budget $2.5M"...]

Are there any numbers as to how many people use the Iphone to cache versus all other devices?

Funny you should ask that.

I used to use my GeoMate Jr. for trips and for spur of the moment caching.

I just did 2,200 miles of caching to GWX using only my iPhone, because I didn't have time to manually run the route to pick and choose caches because I was preparing for the wedding @ GWX among other committments.

My Garmin 60csx was a passenger the whole time. I didn't turn it on even once which shocked the heck outta me.

I'm doing it for nothing on a much more viable database that is maintained by people I know and like (for the most part) even if I don't have 100% satisfaction with Groundspeak or agree with all of its decisions as a guiding entity.

Since I don't work for any of the geocache listing services, I can't speak for the viability of any one database over another. I also don't have any personal relationships with any of the parties involved, so no real concern with who the major players will be in the future. I do feel that crosslisting my hides might bring more traffic and logs for me to read which is the only compensation I expect. However, if another site starts offering cool (subjective) incentives for hiding caches I can only see that as a good thing in the spirit of competition and the American way! (Insert picture of waving flag with a bald eagle flying in the background here!)

My big problem with them is the cross-listing. Although I didn't see the most recent pitch, this is how it was presented before. Also possibly that someone other than the GC cache owner might migrate a listing to that site.

So what happens when the GC gets archived for some reason -- the listing probably stays on OC.

What if the cache gets moved or changed -- probably doesn't get updated over there.

What if it doesn't abide GC rules -- it might be able to be listed there, and that might not be a good thing, the rules are for reasons.

What if it doesn't meet known rules such as National Parks policies -- GC gets a black eye, and it wasn't even their doing.

Yes, I like tags. Yes, I like that brand of GPS, too. Yes, I looked at the other site (not recently). Nope, I'm not taking their offer.

Since I don't work for any of the geocache listing services, I can't speak for the viability of any one database over another. I also don't have any personal relationships with any of the parties involved, so no real concern with who the major players will be in the future. I do feel that crosslisting my hides might bring more traffic and logs for me to read which is the only compensation I expect. However, if another site starts offering cool (subjective) incentives for hiding caches I can only see that as a good thing in the spirit of competition and the American way! (Insert picture of waving flag with a bald eagle flying in the background here!)

The wording on the email is "transfer" which implies archiving on one site a moving the data to the other.

Admittedly, I'm not a player at OC, but it was pretty much universally considered cheesy to crosslist anything other than events on the other cache listing sites I've played at. Maybe OC ships crackers to all of its players to go with all of that cheese if crosslisting is a common practice over there that is known and encouraged. Which would also put another point in favor of desperation from my perspective.

For two minutes I was thinking: "Hmm... it might be a nice idea for GS to offer thank you gifts to people who have placed a certain number of caches." But then my common sense kicked in and told me that would be terrible. How many people would just chuck down whatever type of container in whatever type of place just so they could get some froggie swag?

If a competing site wants to increase their hide numbers that way, I think they are going to gain a reputation in the long term for listing lousy caches.

I archived all mine from OC when it was too much trouble to keep track of both sites. Plus I forgot to archive one on OC that I archived on GC. Then someone logged it. So I deleted their log saying they couldn't find an archived cache that the cache was no longer there. They got angry and started logging all my hides on OC on the same day, even ones in other states, and so I just gave up and archived them all on OC. When I checked that archived one on GCs audit list that same day only one person viewed the cache page. Gotcha! I knew that sock puppet name looked familiar.

For two minutes I was thinking: "Hmm... it might be a nice idea for GS to offer thank you gifts to people who have placed a certain number of caches." But then my common sense kicked in and told me that would be terrible. How many people would just chuck down whatever type of container in whatever type of place just so they could get some froggie swag?

If a competing site wants to increase their hide numbers that way, I think they are going to gain a reputation in the long term for listing lousy caches.

This argument is also amusing, since GC is known only for the highest caliber of hides! <_<

See I knew brevity didn't work for me. You said it better than I:

Anyone who thinks this isn't going to be more of the same is kidding themselves.

This argument is also amusing, since GC is known only for the highest caliber of hides! <_<

LOL!

Caching is hide and seek.

A cache is a cache is a cache.

It's personal aesthetics that cause the heartburn. :laughing: