GPS most like smartphone

Alec & Adrienne

Ok, so we are smartphone cachers (we have over 1420 finds so we aren't terribly new to this). However, we live very close to Canada and would like to go caching in Canada, but we also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for roaming/international charges. So we are thinking about purchasing a GPS. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a GPS that is similar to using a smart phone. We've never had a problem with accuracy with our smartphone and use the save option when we want to cache in areas with no cell phone reception, but we figure having a GPS back up wouldn't be a bad idea and would help justify the cost of a new unit. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Honestly, there's not much I can tell you for "like a smartphone". Every GPS will have a different interface across brands, and each model might have different features--yet a similar interface.

The best bet is to go to a store and play with a few GPS units to see what seems intuitive. I've used Magellan, Garmin, and DeLorme, and liked each for different reasons. But I always have run back to Garmin units for how the interface makes sense to me.

Garmin was my first handheld back in 2001 with a yellow eTrex model, and I still cache with a (now outdated, yet still perfect for caching) Legend Cx.

Really, you're going to find little similarity going from a smartphone App to a dedicated GPS unit...other than touch screens on some models. My advice would be to just get an entry-level, color screened, expandable memory GPS unit from a brand that you can use with some level of competency and simplicity of interface. For me, again, that means a Garmin Legend Cx! :laughing:

Edit to add:

I am primarily a smartphone cacher now, but still use my GPS for placing caches and seeking caches when I've downloaded a bulk set (like from a Pocket Query).

How you get from a menu screen to a waypoint set (they're not necessarily going to be "geocaches" for waypoints) will vary from unit to unit. Some GPSrs will have a dedicated "Geocache" icon or menu, others will not. For example, when I download a PQ to my Garmin, it displays the icons as the "Geocache" symbol. I can then seek and search via that symbol.

However, if I hand-enter or take coordinates, that icon is whatever I choose (or the default "flag" icon). Beyond that, there isn't much that will be a seamless "smartphone app" feel other than a touchscreen unit in my experience playing with the new technology and GPS units out there.

Edited by NeverSummer

OH! After re-reading your post, you should also know that, depending on which App you're using, you can create "offline" lists that can be viewed (descriptions, ratings, hint, first 5 logs...) and navigated to (compass only, unless you've downloaded maps as well).

Since you are a Premium Member, you can create a Pocket Query, download those caches to your smartphone (I'm assuming you're using the Official Groundspeak App here...), and then still navigate to them while not using celluar data/roaming.

What kind of phone are you using, and what app? That will help narrow things down on that end. And then we can also talk more about GPS units more clearly.

We recently went the opposite direction ... Canada to US and found an add on package that was quite reasonable to allow us use of our cell while in the States.

Maybe your provider has something similar?

We spoke to verizon and they wanted to add on an international package for like $50 a month. We did not feel this was reasonable for a weekend trip. Also, to answer neversummer's question too, we have an android and use c:geo.

We recently went the opposite direction ... Canada to US and found an add on package that was quite reasonable to allow us use of our cell while in the States.

We spoke to verizon and they wanted to add on an international package for like $50 a month. We did not feel this was reasonable for a weekend trip. Also, to answer neversummer's question too, we have an android and use c:geo.

Are you locked in for a month or more? Or can you cancel a few days later and only pay a pro rated charge?

Are you locked in for a month or more? Or can you cancel a few days later and only pay a pro rated charge?

I was under the impression they would require us to sign a 2 year agreement, though it was the other half that spoke with them. I'll ask when I get home (and if he doesn't remember I'll ask verizon tomorrow).

If it's just for an occasional weekend trip, and the phone is otherwise adequate for your needs (battery life, durability, GPS reception), then I'd download the cache data before the trip, put my phone in Airplane Mode, and just use it that way. I've done this with Neongeo, with a beta-test version of Groundspeak's Geocaching app, and with GeoBeagle, although I've done it when traveling to areas with poor coverage, not when traveling out of the country.

Garmin Monterra runs Android. But it costs $600.

The Garmin Oregon 6xx looks most like a smartphone (capacitive touchscreen) but user interface is very different.

You can turn off roaming data on your phone and still use it to geocache as long as the GPS works without data. It may take it longer to get a satellite lock. Give it a try.

I was under the impression they would require us to sign a 2 year agreement, though it was the other half that spoke with them. I'll ask when I get home (and if he doesn't remember I'll ask verizon tomorrow).

The 2-year agreement is probably correct - that's their usual style. <_<

Fortunately you've got some other options in this thread. B)

Use of c:geo is dubious. Keep your use of that app on the DL... :anibad:

I would spend the $10 for the official App, then you're all set for paperless, data roamingless use of any saved geocaches. No need for a full-on GPSr until you've had adequate time to test out some GPS units to see which suits you best.

really how come? I've never heard anything but good things about c:geo.

The c:geo app scrapes the geocaching.com site to get cache data, which violates the geocaching.com terms of use.

But nobody cares about it, otherwise it would be blocked.

It keeps some people believing using geocaching.com is free, and apparently, Groundspeak is interested to keep it that way.

In actuality, that app that can't be blocked, but users can be. Thus why it's dubious and best to keep on the DL...wink...

But I digress.

Back on topic, I'd think you'll be able to find a handheld unit that works just right for you. Especially if you're using an Android phone, the Monterra might be a way to go. Pretty huge upgrade $$ from just a phone, but should make you happiest with understanding the interface and having more options for different caching Apps on that unit. (And the ability to use the general handheld GPS for everything from hiking to biking to...)

The c:geo app scrapes the geocaching.com site to get cache data, which violates the geocaching.com terms of use.

But nobody cares about it, otherwise it would be blocked.

That's the issue. The app makes it appear that it's accessing the web site using a browser rather than as an application with the potential of requesting data at a rate which greatly exceeds that which could be done by a user clicking links in a browser. Because it appears to the server as if it's a browser it would be very difficult to block.

Grab the official app, download your caches over wifi and turn mobile data off. No need for new equipment or for stupidly expensive overseas data plans.

However, without a real time data connection, unless you pre-load map data you might be caching in an unfamiliar area without maps.

As I see it, there isn't a universal approach for geocaching while traveling because there are many different geocaching while traveling scenarios. For me, using a dedicated handheld GPS works best because I can download maps for multiple areas using the free routable Open Street Maps for Garmin. I just go to the web site, select the areas I'll be in and created a single map that I can copy to a micro-sd card. That often includes maps for several regions in multiple countries. Then I create one or more Pocket queries that include caches for the areas I'll be visiting and put them on the GPS as well. When I'm traveling overseas I rarely use my smartphone for caching, but primarily use it when traveling within the U.S. I've been caching for almost 8 years and have only owned two handheld GPSr (the first one was stolen). Some people seem to feel the need to upgrade their phone to new equipment far more often than that.

We are on Vancouver Island, and lately our cell company (Rogers) has been advertizing roaming in the USA for $5 a day. Not sure if your company has something comparable for use in Canada - might be worth checking. I also read somewhere about something called MiFi, personal WiFi....at a price, I'm sure. Enjoy your trip caching in Canada.