Hiding your first Geocache

mgs_2001

Hiding your first Geocache

Hi everyone

I am wanting to hide my first Geocache. There is a forest close so i would like to hide it there however i do not know what size of container i would need or what i could use, the sort of place it should be hidden. I also need to know what i should definitely include inside the container and what should be immediately visible on my container.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks mgs_2001

It's simple really. Find some geocaches first. Find different kinds, and sizes. You'll see what is a waterproof container, and what sucks. You'll see what people put in them. You'll see what sizes. You'll also see what you like finding, and can hide the type of caches you like- after all if you don't like it, why should anybody else?

Also try geocaching for a while. See if it's for you, if you'll sick around for a while, or if you think it's cool for a few weeks then never do it again. It helps nobody if you just give up on geocaching and leave your geocache to become trash.

Also read all the guidelines. Then read them again to get anything you missed. Then I once more to make sure you understand them. Someone will be along shortly with the link, if you can't find it.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Hi and welcome. My advice would be find a few geocaches (if you haven't already, I see you have no finds listed under this user name) Then you will find the answers to many of your questions. Hiding a geocache is a big commitment and you will find lots of information if you visit the help centre on the main geocaching webpage.

Edited by whh0

I agree with the above advice. Find a variety of cache types and sizes and in different locations. You will learn about what works and what doesn't. Invest in your cache - buy a quality watertight container (don't recycle kitchen/food throw-out containers, don't buy dollar store containers). Look for a nice location, something that you would be proud to introduce people to. Remember people are spending gas money, wear-n-tear on their vehicles, and their time to travel to this cache with the hope it will be a nice experience. Be prepared to maintain the cache in a timely fashion (hopefully within a few days, no longer then a month without at least a note explaining why it's taking so long), be prepared to read your email for alerts to problems. Impress people with your first hide.

I agree with what everyone has said above. I am getting very much into Geocaching but placing a cache should be a long term commitment. You are responsible for maintaining it as the Cache Owner (CO).

The Geocaching website recommends you find a bunch of different caches in a bunch of different areas to get a better idea of what you like and dislike and what works and what does not work.

I personally would like to do a cache one day myself but I am going to wait until I have about 100 or so finds before doing one.

A good place to start is the Hiding Your First Geocache

First make sure you have permission to place the cache in the area. You need to get the ok from the land owner or manager. I know that this will draw the ire of many cachers that will read this but it's the right thing to do. It may take a little work but in the end it may save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Also, download any other caches that may be around the area. You want to make sure you are at least 526 ft away from another cache (I try to make it 600 ft just to make sure). Remember, just because there may be other caches in the area doesn't mean you can automatically place one of your own. After that it's totally up to you as to what container you hide. Try to place it in a nice area, somewhere people will enjoy visiting. Many times the location will dictate the container size. After looking around you may find a nice little notch in a tree that would be perfect for a micro. You may find a rock formation or a hollow tree stump that would fit a small or large. Include a log for people to sign. If the container turns out to be a small or large make sure it is marked "geocache" on it so if it's found buy someone that's not a geocacher they will know what it is. If the container is big enough add a little swag (toys and trinkets).

When you go to publish the cache make sure to add a "reviewers note". In the note to the reviewer explain that your received permission and list the contact. Discribe the cache hide and container. This will speed up the process of getting your cache approved. Don't worry, the reviewer note can be only be seen you and the reviewer and is deleted when the cache go's public.

that's about it. Good luck.

Edited by justintim1999

Or 528 feet might be better! :laughing:

A fundamental guideline of geocaching is that physical elements/stages of a geocache should be at least 0.1 miles (528ft or 161m) from the physical elements/stages of any other geocache. Below is a longer explanation of that guideline.

Read the guidelines.

Read the guidelines again.

Reading them a third time is never a bad thing. :)

Or 528 feet might be better! :laughing:

A fundamental guideline of geocaching is that physical elements/stages of a geocache should be at least 0.1 miles (528ft or 161m) from the physical elements/stages of any other geocache. Below is a longer explanation of that guideline.

Read the guidelines.

Read the guidelines again.

Reading them a third time is never a bad thing. :)

Typo. Sorry. Lesson learned. Although there is a lot of great information on the forums it's always a good idea to double check.

Definitely find quite a few different types of cache first. This can help a lot, believe me! Make sure the cache you hide will be easy for you to get to to maintain. As others have said, read the "Hiding Your First Geocache" more than once. BTW, what will you be using to get coordinates for your hide? GPS or smartphone?