Nuvi 50 to drive/route to a cache?

geoBirder

I'm still fairly new to geocaching, and download pocket queries to my Oregon 450. I realized last night I could probably download the same pocket query to a Nuvi 50.

Since the Nuvi has a touch screen, I should in theory be able to touch the cache icon, and then follow the Nuvi's instructions to the closest street (easier than inputting intersections etc.). Once there, I would use my Oregon for the actual caching.

I'm going to give it a try this weekend, but thought I would ask here first:

Has anyone tried this? Does it work or badly fail?

Also, can I search by GC number?

Thanks for any assistance!

Rob

Has anyone tried this? Does it work or badly fail?

I load a couple of select caches, to get me to an unfamiliar area. I don't load entire PQs on my Nuvi. Depending on where you're caching, you may not need a whole PQ. If for example you're going to a park and then walking to caches, one cache near the parking lot is all you need for guidance.

Street routing can get tricky in neighborhoods where the Nuvi can't decide which cul-sde-sac may be the right one, and it tends to simply direct you to the place where the cache is closest to the street. Your plan of selecting a point near a cache might work.

There is a limit to the number of caches a Nuvi can hold. Loaded caches typically are listed by GC number. There is “POI Loader” software that makes cache descriptions into readable Points Of Interest and this allows loading more. The catch is, it can be tough to get rid of the POIs when you're done. You may just have to try it and see how it goes. Some Nuvis handle cache files better than others, there's little consistency there.

Although the Oregon is not an ideal replacement for a Nuvi, you can load routable street maps on it, and get driving directions. I have the City Navigator SD card, and once the Nuvi guides me to cache area, I follow the Oregon's driving directions to another nearby cache, if I can't figure out how to get there. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

I use a nuvi 550 and it has the geocaches option and has all the cache info just like the Oregon does. It even does Wherigos.

The 550 and 500 were the only Nuvi's specifically made for geocaching...great units, I have a 500.

I also use 3- Nuvi 780's for caching ...you can load up to 500 caches as Favorites and they show up as icons on the map even when zoomed out.

I ended up going the route of Custom POIs. I'd say they work 8/10 times perfectly! The times it doesn't I must admit I have no idea where "Serena" (the voice on the unit) is trying to take me.

Using the Custom POIs gives me easily seen treasure chest icons. I like that the treasure chests automatically show up. The only problem is the it is the same treasure chest icon for ALL types of caches. Is there a way to have the unit show different icons for Mysterys, Multi-Caches, etc, etc.?

Thank you!

Rob

Edited by geobirder