Using google maps to find nice locations FAIL

5Campbells

So I am new to this whole geocaching thing but having a blast. Today was my 7th hide and 14 find.

I am sure allot of people use google maps to find the perfect spot without having to drive out.

So today I found a nice dead end road, no muggles around to bother it. Nice guardrail hide.

Google maps shows me this

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-07%20at%205.14.53%20PM_1.png

But you get there and see this.

20160107_160718.jpg

LOL.

Keep looking I guess!

Neither picture looks like a place I would go for a cache. :blink:

That was my first thought too. A guard rail at the end of a road beside an interstate isn't what I would personally call a "nice location" or "the perfect spot". At least they have one of those sound-reducing walls beside the interstate, so you'd be able to talk to anyone else who's with you without having to yell. Maybe an appropriately-themed cache would work well there, but otherwise it just seems like another lame, only-reason-to-come-here-is-for-the-cache spot.

As for locating a hiding spot, most of mine have been discovered either while out caching or just out walking some new-to-me trails while gathering data for OpenStreetMap. I think I did initially scout out a few spots using satellite imagery and Google StreetView, but these typically aren't caches that get a lot of Favourite Points.

I thought they used to put the date on the maps. Or do they not want you to know just how old their images are?

It's quite funny, some times, to check out an area on Google maps, then do the street view, turn the corner and see that what showed as buildings have been demolished.

Can't depend on any of that stuff. Got to get yourself out there to really know if it's a "nice" location.

B.

The houses overlooking the cache location would have been a problem too.

I find the best cache locations are found by just going for a hike or cycle, if you wouldn't want to hike or bike somewhere recreationally then people probably wouldn't want to go there for caching either.

Another way of finding locations is to study local history and see if there are any interesting locations with a good story to put in the cache description, then visit the site and see if there is also a suitable hiding place. That's what I did for my "Forgotten Houses" caches that were near sites of impressive historical buildings that were no longer there.

I thought they used to put the date on the maps. Or do they not want you to know just how old their images are?

A little while back they moved the date to the grey box at the top left. In the first image in the OP's post, you can see the date is "Jun 2015".

FYI, if StreetView has captured an area on more than one occasion, a little clock icon shows up to the left of the date. If you click this icon, you can view the imagery from those previous occasions.

b995ecbf-f372-4c0e-a9be-2912fa105246.jpg

Actually, I have used Google Maps to find a great spot for a cache. I have several caches hidden here. But I used Google Maps to find another great spot, not overlooking the reservoir. Evil mystery cache. Tough terrain. But a great spot!

Okay. A few evil mystery caches, not all mine.

So, Google Maps can be used to find great spots! Yours does not qualify IMHO.

It's great to be excited & want to hide your own caches, but perhaps remind yourself of the quote at the top of the geocache placement guidelines? "When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." – briansnat"

... if you wouldn't want to hike or bike somewhere recreationally then people probably wouldn't want to go there for caching either

That's my feelings too -- if I wouldn't be at all enthused about hiking/biking/walking/driving to a place -- because the location all by itself had no true appeal at all, then why should I expect anyone else to be enthused about going there? To each their own, but I'm not making a trip out to a generic dead-end street, of no particular interest at all, just to add another number to my cache count. There are caches similar to that within easy walking distance of my home - and many more within 5-10 miles - and I'll never bother with them, but I'll happily plan an outing & drive for miles to go someplace potentially beautiful/interesting & find geocaches that take me somewhere worth seeing (or learning about,etc) Even if you live in a city, surely there are more interesting locations available to you.

Welcome, 5Campbells! Sorry everyone jumped down your throat for calling a guardrail cache a "nice hide." :rolleyes:

Can you believe, I dreamed about this last night? I dreamed the intersection had become a roundabout. :laughing:

The lack of foliage this time of year accounts for the houses being visible. Too bad they're not evergreens. :)

Although I agree with most of what has been said about locations such as this, I will also say that a really creative cache container can make a trip to a dull location much more fun! For example, I have a cache on a GR that has 33 favorite points (45%) and another next to an interstate on a fence line with 61 favorite points (41%). I think a great cache could be due to location, container, or both.

There is no reason that spot couldn't be used because of the guard rail being damaged. I am not saying it is a great location to visit but the guard rail isn't the only option there. You could hollow out a log or fake stump with a container in it or a fake rock or something and place it off to the side. So when someone comes and fixes the guard rail they wont notice it. I would guess some pulling up to look for it thinking maybe it was a guard rail cache would find it funny to see that.

There is no reason that spot couldn't be used because of the guard rail being damaged. I am not saying it is a great location to visit but the guard rail isn't the only option there. You could hollow out a log or fake stump with a container in it or a fake rock or something and place it off to the side. So when someone comes and fixes the guard rail they wont notice it. I would guess some pulling up to look for it thinking maybe it was a guard rail cache would find it funny to see that.

For that matter, I've found a few caches in guard rails that have been left in that condition for years on end, and I see no reason to think this one will be a high priority to fix.

What I find more instructive about this case is that fact that the streetview makes the location seem isolated, but the current pictures show that during the times of the year that the foliage is gone, it's in plain sight of those houses that couldn't even be seen in the streetview. These particular houses don't seem close enough to be a problem, but it's a good lesson to learn.

Welcome, 5Campbells! Sorry everyone jumped down your throat for calling a guardrail cache a "nice hide." :rolleyes:

Can you believe, I dreamed about this last night? I dreamed the intersection had become a roundabout. :laughing:

The lack of foliage this time of year accounts for the houses being visible. Too bad they're not evergreens. :)

This is a new hobby for us, I have owned several GPS units but never used them for geocaching, I have used mine for navigating Lake Norman at night when it is pitch black.

With my 3 boys in the Boy Scouts we were introduced to Geocaching basics at a weekend camping event. My 3 boys all showed interest so we decided to take it to the next level.

Now half the geocaches we have found are not in the most scenic areas or in any areas with significant meaning. I have seen videos posted on geocaching.com where people place these all over the cities in same boring areas. What is so scenic about putting a geocache in a drain? I am sure some simple park and grabs are near historical buildings and such but most are not.

As I learn more, explore more and find better areas and ideas I will be changing it up.

I do live in a huge neighborhood that has about 6 different parks. I created a 5 mile walk and grab focused on the younger crowd. 1-2 difficulty level. This has worked well for getting my kids off the x-box and asking to go outdoors for some "caching"

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

Ed

Welcome to Geocaching Ed.

One of the things that is a very good tip is to actually get out there and find caches before you go anywhere near placing your own. Only 14 finds is very low for understanding what makes a good hide and what is an average one. I had the same excitement about wanting to place my own caches when I started and was given the same advice I am giving you now. My attitude at the time was "I'm an intelligent guy easily up to the task of understanding how these things work, what difference could it make if I find more or not".

Well now after 5 months caching and having hit 554 caches I have a dramatically better idea of what makes a good cache that people want to find. I'd therefore encourage you to go out and find a lot more to learn what excites you and your family. I'm sure your kids will be happy to tell you what's a "lame" cache in their eyes and what they think is "cool". Enjoy the learning experience and your cache hides will be far better.

Also consider what permissions you need to get, don't just think you can throw down a box anywhere you feel like, then type up a cache description and that's it.

NB. I'm 49 without kids - "lame" and "cool" might not be current fashionable terms for kids to use :)