Geomate Jr - How do you link it?

The_Mamer

Hi, The_Mamer.

What are you trying to do? Update the caches on the Geomate, perhaps?

Did the Geomate come with either an update cable or an update kit?

And did the instructions refer to Apishere, Brand44, or some other site?

A lot of questions, I know. But it will help to determine where you are getting stuck.

If you are only looking to tell geocaching.com what kind of GPS you use, that information is not part of your user profile anymore.

Try this site from Brand44. Apishere is defunct. Brand44 bought the Geomate Jr. from Apishere. Brand44's Geomate Jr. page includes a "Geomate Guide" in PDF, last updated August 2014.

It explains how to update the database on your Geomate, depending which version you have, and whether you use a PC or a Mac.

Certainly worth a try.

Another cacher here asked about updates from Brand44 this past June, but then resolved the problem. This leads me to think that Brand44 is the most current place to get updates.

Try this site from Brand44. Apishere is defunct. Brand44 bought the Geomate Jr. from Apishere. Brand44's Geomate Jr. page includes a "Geomate Guide" in PDF, last updated August 2014.

It explains how to update the database on your Geomate, depending which version you have, and whether you use a PC or a Mac.

Certainly worth a try.

Another cacher here asked about updates from Brand44 this past June, but then resolved the problem. This leads me to think that Brand44 is the most current place to get updates.

Notice the company name change - Brand 44 is now b4ADVENTURE I had a Geomate Jr once. I considered it next to worthless. Someone came to the Forum wanting to trade an old Garmin unit for one. I warned them it would be a bad deal for them. They wanted to trade anyway. GOOD RIDDANCE GEOMATE !!! Never again.

I admit I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Geomate since it is what we used in the beginning including that first Geocache find in a park near our home. But apart from that nostalgia, it is a worthless toy. Maybe use one if you could get it absolutely free, but otherwise, spend the same amount of money on a Garmin. You should be able to get a good deal on a used one to get more bang for your buck.

Look, the original poster's daughter received a Geomate Jr. as a gift, and this is supposed to be the forum that is friendly to beginners. Although you may think that other devices are better for geocaching, it is not very helpful to tell someone that the gift their child received was worthless and to take it back. If it can be made to work, although it is limited, it may be an inexpensive and user-friendly way to get them started in geocaching.

Look, the original poster's daughter received a Geomate Jr. as a gift, and this is supposed to be the forum that is friendly to beginners. Although you may think that other devices are better for geocaching, it is not very helpful to tell someone that the gift their child received was worthless and to take it back. If it can be made to work, although it is limited, it may be an inexpensive and user-friendly way to get them started in geocaching.

I concur. The OP got good advice on how to update the geomate jr, which is what they were looking for. By now they have gotten the message that perhaps another GPSr would be better for long term, but for now, I think we've shared enough opinions about that particular device.