Small City, Locations all taken

JimNotJon

Hi guys.

Kinda new to Geocaching, found 12 so far and absolutely love it. Found out about it years ago and never bothered but then a friend I follow on Instagram mentioned it and my imagination re awoke. An overwhelming need to find caches combined with needing to lose weight and I thought it's a perfect hobby.

I've managed to hide one cache already successfully outside of my city (about 4 miles out) which I pass regularly, however places within my city are just full of red circles. Looking on my Groundspeak app, where I want to place one there are no other caches on the map more than within the 161m range, however when I plot the coordinates, the red circles appear and say I can't have it. My city is congested full of circles!!! There seems to be little place of interest left I can actually place a cache where someone would want to go looking. I'm not currently a paid member, so would this affect what I see on my app in relation to the red circles on the main website when trying to register the app?

Premium Members (i.e. paying members), will see the PMO or Premium Members Only caches on the maps I believe. The number of PMO caches varies quite a bit from one region to another, so it's unpredictable how much impact that issue will be for you.

Your best bet is to submit a Listing for a coordinate check before actually going to the trouble of preparing and placing your cache. The following Help Center article explains how to do that:

Checking for Geocache Saturation

Where are you trying to place caches? In Lincoln? Is so there is plenty of space (also lots of space around the placw) You might not be able to place a cache 3 feet from a parking spot, or just off the sidewalk, but there's still lots of space.

Also remember the circles can overlap, it's just the center (the cache) can't be in a circle.

Premium Members (i.e. paying members), will see the PMO or Premium Members Only caches on the maps I believe. The number of PMO caches varies quite a bit from one region to another, so it's unpredictable how much impact that issue will be for you.

Ordinary members can see PMO caches on the website maps, they just can't see the cache details.

Where are you trying to place caches? In Lincoln? Is so there is plenty of space (also lots of space around the placw) You might not be able to place a cache 3 feet from a parking spot, or just off the sidewalk, but there's still lots of space.

Also remember the circles can overlap, it's just the center (the cache) can't be in a circle.

Well, it does sound like the OP is looking for places worthy of a cache...which we should all applaud. Too often people look at the map rather than look at the real world in deciding where to place caches.

That being said, I might have had a hard time finding interesting spots if not for caching. It has taken me to so many hidden spots around my city that I otherwise never would have noticed...so sometimes you just need to get out there and do some "location scouting". Look around in some of those open areas that you might not have thought about putting one. On more than one occasion, I have found something interesting, unique or scenic where I least expected to.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I wasn't certain on the circles but that's cleared up any confusion for me, thanks T.D.M.22 .

I had an idea for a cache at a particular place in the city where I have never seen anyone walk (although it is paved and next to several crossings) but it gets a lot of traffic past it, and I bet nobody has stopped to read the plaque that is there, however I selected it (with rough coordinates from google maps) and although its not in a circle, it won't allow me the position. Perhaps I might go back and get more accurate coordinates and try again.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I wasn't certain on the circles but that's cleared up any confusion for me, thanks T.D.M.22 .

I had an idea for a cache at a particular place in the city where I have never seen anyone walk (although it is paved and next to several crossings) but it gets a lot of traffic past it, and I bet nobody has stopped to read the plaque that is there, however I selected it (with rough coordinates from google maps) and although its not in a circle, it won't allow me the position. Perhaps I might go back and get more accurate coordinates and try again.

IF there is a cache there, or close by, one possibility is to make the plaque part of a multi cache (Virtual Waypoint).

eg Read the sign for information numbers/word count etc, then the cache is placed elsewhere.

You also need to be aware that in the UK we have a lot of land areas where caching may not be allowed or requires specific permission. Lincoln as you no doubt know is a very historical city and has lots are areas that are Scheduled Ancient Monuments (SAM). Caches in these will need permission which you'll need to show us when you submit the cache. You can see Lincoln city center on the government MAGIC map that shows such locations here.

You can use the MAGIC map yourself to check locations (not just SAM's). It's all in the UK Geocaching Policies Wiki.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Policies Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Hi guys.

Kinda new to Geocaching, found 12 so far and absolutely love it. Found out about it years ago and never bothered but then a friend I follow on Instagram mentioned it and my imagination re awoke. An overwhelming need to find caches combined with needing to lose weight and I thought it's a perfect hobby.

I've managed to hide one cache already successfully outside of my city (about 4 miles out) which I pass regularly, however places within my city are just full of red circles. Looking on my Groundspeak app, where I want to place one there are no other caches on the map more than within the 161m range, however when I plot the coordinates, the red circles appear and say I can't have it. My city is congested full of circles!!! There seems to be little place of interest left I can actually place a cache where someone would want to go looking. I'm not currently a paid member, so would this affect what I see on my app in relation to the red circles on the main website when trying to register the app?

Since you are not a premium member, you can't see ALL the listings of geocaches in your area on the app, just a certain selection. There also may be caches that Premium members can only access the coordinates for. If all the legal spots of the city are taken, you will see "red circles" even if you don't see the coords for the cache or any of its additional waypoints (if its a multi or mystery there may be hidden waypoints no one but the owner and reviewers see).