ETrex Series for Geocaching

Hi guys

Showing my naivity with GPS receivers here, I am looking at an Etrex 20 or 30 for Geocaching and was wondering what advantage the electronic compass would give me for the extra money, around £50.

Thanks for any advices

Paul

With the Etrex 20 you have to be moving in order for the compass to function. With the Etrex 30 the compass functions while you are standing still.

For what it's worth, if you do decide that the electronic compass is worth it, then an Oregon 450 or a 62s are actually cheaper than the eTrex 30 these days and give you more features to work with.

Almost true. The Etrex gives you access to the GLONASS constellation. I've noticed increased performance under difficult tree cover with the additional constellation.

Each person has their preference towards electronic compass or not.

Electronic compass points (properly) while you are standing still...BUT, you must calibrate it occasionally.

Non-electronic compass points (properly) only while you are moving (not necessarily slowly, either)... BUT, you never need calibration.

They both function well, you just need to understand what they will/won't do. :)

For what it's worth, if you do decide that the electronic compass is worth it, then an Oregon 450 or a 62s are actually cheaper than the eTrex 30 these days and give you more features to work with.

Almost true. The Etrex gives you access to the GLONASS constellation. I've noticed increased performance under difficult tree cover with the additional constellation.

The addition of GLONASS provides significantly better performance under any kind of 'difficult conditions', not just tree cover. This article illustrates quite well (and graphically) the kind of improvement in accuracy that the additional constellation provides under urban conditions, though the tests were not made with a consumer GPS.

http://electronicdesign.com/test-amp-measurement/real-world-drive-tests-declare-verdict-gpsglonass

The most relevant comparison to a handheld would be test #2, with a passive antenna. If you search the web, there are quite a few other comparisons with consumer GPSes that show similar results, though without the nifty illustration.

Hi guys

Showing my naivity with GPS receivers here, I am looking at an Etrex 20 or 30 for Geocaching and was wondering what advantage the electronic compass would give me for the extra money, around £50.

Thanks for any advices

Paul

The electronic compass is not the only feature of the eTrex 30 for the extra $50. It also has a barometric altimeter, picture viewer, unit to unit transfer and the ability to add an optional heart rate monitor and bike speed/cadence sensor. I don't work for Garmin, lol, but I do use and find the electronic compass handy and I've transferred data to my 62s as well. If you're a fitness buff you may like the optional accessories noted. The eTrex20, of which I have two, is a terrific unit despite the additional features of the 30.

+1. IMO if you want the very best performance under heavy tree cover a quad. antenna is more important than glonass.

+1. IMO if you want the very best performance under heavy tree cover a quad. antenna is more important than glonass.

My Etrex out performs my GPSMAP76 under those conditions. One has the supposedly superior quad antenna and one has access to the GLONASS constellation.

My Etrex out performs my GPSMAP76 under those conditions. One has the supposedly superior quad antenna and one has access to the GLONASS constellation.

Your GPSMap76 is several generations behind the 62 and 64 series. Antenna technology and the available bandwidth spectrum have greatly improved since the 76 first came out.

I would say the electronic compass is worth having, whether or not it's worth £50 is another question.

It's not a case of knowing where North is, you can work that out from the Sun for £0.00, but when you're following the arrow towards the cache if the GPS doesn't have an Electronic compass then as you slow down/stop then the arrow will begin to swing round and will nolonger be pointing the way; whereas an Electronic compass will still point at the cache when you're standing still. I remember when I was relying on the GPS compass having to walk away from the GZ and approach at a steady pace to get the arrow pointing in the right direction.

As for recalibraring, it takes literally 30 seconds so isn't a big deal really, I only do it occasionally.

I just looked on www.handtec.co.uk and they're flogging the 20 for £124 and the 30 for £143 (both inc VAT), on balance I would say that the 30 is worth the extra £19 .