Specific Rules for Multis?

ON-THE-LOOSE

Though I'm still pretty much a newbie (hope to hit my 100th tomorrow), my partner and I have hidden a few caches. Without intending to head in that direction, we now find ourselves with what seems to us to be the perfect multi in the 1 1/2 - 2 star range. Are there rules about how far (or near) each stage needs to be from the last step? Can we do a two stage multi, or does it have to have at least three stages? For the future, is there a limit on how many stages are allowed? Thanks for any help. This really would be a perfect cache to show off some of our local history in a fun and fairly unique way.

There are no limits on the number of stages or the distance between stages of a multi-cache.

There can be 2 stages or 100+ (there is or was a 100+ stage multi in Texas).

The stages can be close, though too close and you run the risk of one stage being found while hunting another, or far, different continent, assuming there's a viable maintenance plan. Stages can be virtual, ie, bring a cacher to a sign or marker, and use info from that marker to generate instructions (usually coordinates) to the next stage.

Edited by palmetto

Though I'm still pretty much a newbie (hope to hit my 100th tomorrow), my partner and I have hidden a few caches. Without intending to head in that direction, we now find ourselves with what seems to us to be the perfect multi in the 1 1/2 - 2 star range. Are there rules about how far (or near) each stage needs to be from the last step? Can we do a two stage multi, or does it have to have at least three stages? For the future, is there a limit on how many stages are allowed? Thanks for any help. This really would be a perfect cache to show off some of our local history in a fun and fairly unique way.

One of the advantages of a multi is that the stages can be used to direct finders to the final location by following a specific route (instead of approaching the cache from any direction). Even a two stage multi can work really well for that. Sometimes the path one takes to the cache, rather than the actual location of the cache, is what makes it special. You might also want to bring geocachers to several distinct locations and want to have people visit them in a specific order. A multi cache is good for that.

Keep in mind that the more stages you have for a cache the amount of maintenance will increase. If any of the stages go missing the final can't be found.

Thank you for the help. Both answers were exactly what I was looking for - and what I kind of thought. However, placing the multi correctly is so important that I didn't want to assume anthing. Each of you brought up something I hadn't thought about. Thanks for helping me make my first multi cache one people will enjoy (I hope).

Thank you for the help. Both answers were exactly what I was looking for - and what I kind of thought. However, placing the multi correctly is so important that I didn't want to assume anthing. Each of you brought up something I hadn't thought about. Thanks for helping me make my first multi cache one people will enjoy (I hope).

I'm not sure if it is a rule or not but I know I would appreciate knowing if a multi entailed more than a few miles of travel. I'd even want to know if I was going to have to get back into my cache mobile to travel to the next stage.

Also, you might want to be aware that the more stages it has, the less likely people are to do your cache, unless it is really special.

Multi's don't get as much as attention as regular caches because a lot of people are just out for the numbers, and mult's aren't such quick numbers.

But a lot of enjoy a good multi.

One of my all-time favorite caches is a multi. They've got great potential.

Thanks for your work in finding out what the rules are.

It looks like you've got something really special in mind.

I want to thank everyone for their help. Each of you has added to my knowledge, and your input will show in the final form my multi takes. It will only be a two stage multi, and stage two is just a couple of hundred yards away. I want to preserve a bit of the historical knowledge of my area that is fast slipping away. I now know I need to be very clear in my cache description, and all should be well. I'm more concerned about creating a quality cache than I am in racking up a large number of finds - though I'll admit to being excited each time someone finds the one cache I have hidden so far. Thanks, everyone!

I wish that time would be included as one of the rating factors for a cache as each stage can be easy to locate and easy to reach but completing the entire sequence can take hours or days based on distance, traffic, and the number of stages involved. The way the rating system is currently configured CO's can become confused in assigning ratings for multi-stage caches as time is not really listed into the current ratings.

Edited by ITSecGal
I wish that time would be included as one of the rating factors for a cache
Like in the difficulty descriptions in Ratings for Difficulty and Terrain?
Easy

[...]a few minutes[...]

Average

[...]less than 30 minutes[...]

Challenging

[...]a good portion of an afternoon[...]

Difficult

[...]multiple days / trips[...]

So the difficulty is determined by two factors....time to reach and time to find with the time factor starting from the point that you reach the first stage site plus adding in any additional time required to solve a puzzle to determine site coordinates? That would make it seem that multi-stage caches would automatically have a difficulty rating of 2 or more stars if the stages are far enough apart that you have to drive between the points.

I agree that it would be nice to have a time factor rating. However, that can be addressed in the cache description and attributes - which I will do. My two second of two stages will be less than half a mile away, so it won't make all that much difference for mine. Seasoned cachers should be able to do the entire two-stage multi in less than an hour, though I won't choose that attribute. I don't think I agree with adding driving time ito the equation for the difficulty, though. It could, for instance, make a lot of cachers (especially the new ones) afraid to try a relatively easy cache because it has a deceptive three rating. Mentioning that some of the stages require driving time or long hikes are another matter, and I DO think that should be spelled out early in the cache description.

There are no limits on the number of stages or the distance between stages of a multi-cache.

There can be 2 stages or 100+ (there is or was a 100+ stage multi in Texas).

Can you send me a link to that 100+ stage multi... I have to got to see this.

Glad I stumbled across this thread... I haven't placed any Multis yet but I have a couple in mind. I misunderstood and thought that any physical stage, even part of the same multi, must be 528' from any other physical stage. If I read correctly, the proximity rule only applies to distance from stages of OTHER caches, right?

Thank you, everyone, for your help. It WAS going to be a nano hidden in the joint of an abandoned railroad track siding that was used to supply Patton's army base during WWII, and a canister just a couple of hundred yards away. Naturally, as I was in the process of contacting the owner of the land he was in the process of pulling up the tracks that had sat untouched and unused for 40 years! I'll still do the cache, but it no longer needs to be a multi. Darn! And here I thought I had an idea for a bit of a different cache!

Edited by ON-THE-LOOSE
I misunderstood and thought that any physical stage, even part of the same multi, must be 528' from any other physical stage. If I read correctly, the proximity rule only applies to distance from stages of OTHER caches, right?
That is correct. There is no minimum distance between stages of the same multi-cache. Also, there is no minimum distance between virtual stages of a multi-cache and stages of other caches.

There's a nice explanation and diagram in this help center article (which is an extension of the guidelines):

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=304#saturation

Can an existing traditional cache I own be a waypoint for a multi-cache of mine?

Trying to set up a really cool, water trail multi in a park that's darn near saturated with traditionals.

A physical "stage of a multi-cache" waypoint will conflict with an existing traditional cache. A virtual "question to answer" waypoint will not conflict with an existing traditional cache. It doesn't matter who owns the existing traditional cache.