Media get It Wrong Again

colleda

Whacko Jesus people have left graffiti on a tree and given geocachers a bad name in the media. This relates to a disappearance of a little boy which, which is, sadly, a mystery of national note over here.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/william-tyrrell-message-left-on-tree-leads-to-police-lockdown/news-story/6d7bcd03f81c8c4aae75f0c44fe0a279

The cache was there well before the little boy went missing and the graffiti is only recent and most likely done by someone who had no idea that there was a cache there, at the base of the tree.

It's news.com.au,i wouldn't worry too much about it, they couldn't act like real journalists even if they were given a script.

It was repeated on the major TV news tonight but they gave themselves an out by saying the connection between the cache and the graffiti was made by the police.

Whacko Jesus people have left graffiti on a tree

Hmmm. Unsubstantiated connection there. Here's a suggested fix:

Whacko people with spray paint have left graffiti on a tree

Thanks!

(Just because someone defaces a tree with "Jesus" doesn't mean they're a "Jesus person".) ;)

Edited by TriciaG

"A chilling cryptic message" - because child abductors usually leave clues spray-painted around the place..... :rolleyes:

Serial killers often leave taunting clues behind. Who's to say that isn't the case here. And if it had been left by the abductor, then it would indeed be chilling and cryptic. I, for one, am glad to see that the police are taking every possibility seriously here.

"A chilling cryptic message" - because child abductors usually leave clues spray-painted around the place..... :rolleyes:

Serial killers often leave taunting clues behind. Who's to say that isn't the case here. And if it had been left by the abductor, then it would indeed be chilling and cryptic. I, for one, am glad to see that the police are taking every possibility seriously here.

Yeah.

Let's not worry about our game being misrepresented by the media. It won't be the last time!

Serial killers occasionally leave clues, except those on the sets of Hollywood, they are the ones who often leave clues.....

The Riddler did it. The only one that will solve this case is Batman.

Serial killers occasionally leave clues, except those on the sets of Hollywood, they are the ones who often leave clues.....

You've probably been watching too many episodes of 'Criminal Minds'.

There are way too many assumptions here:

The abductor left the message.

The abductor is a geocacher.

The abductor decided to leave the message at the site of a geocache, intending to somehow...link the two?

Way too much WTF here. Assuming the police have enough sense not to take such huge leaps of logic, the media is incredibly irresponsible in even hinting at such a link.

The Riddler did it. The only one that will solve this case is Batman.

Be careful with these sorts of jokes, the kids was in a spiderman outfit when he went missing and that's the image of him that's been used everywhere.

Whacko Jesus people ...

What exactly do you mean by "whacko Jesus people?" - That's a serious question.

What term do you think those on the outside would use to describe people who hide and seek junk hidden in containers under rocks? Is whacko about right? - Less serious but something to think about.

I think the OP meant Jesus people that would paint a cryptic message on a tree implying secret knowledge about a missing child. I wouldn't have thought that implied all Jesus people are whacko, but since you seem sensitive about it, perhaps I'm wrong.

What term do you think those on the outside would use to describe people who hide and seek junk hidden in containers under rocks? Is whacko about right? - Less serious but something to think about.

If they painted words on the tree implying a secret relation between the missing child and geocaching, then I think "whacko geocacher" would be entirely appropriate.

I think the OP meant Jesus people that would paint a cryptic message on a tree implying secret knowledge about a missing child. I wouldn't have thought that implied all Jesus people are whacko, but since you seem sensitive about it, perhaps I'm wrong.

If they painted words on the tree implying a secret relation between the missing child and geocaching, then I think "whacko geocacher" would be entirely appropriate.

You're not wrong dprovan, that's exactly what I meant. Nicely put too.

Perhaps it could be rephrased as 'Whackos claiming to be Jesus people'?