Placing Earthcaches away from home

robandsamhanson

Quick question: can I place an Earthcache somewhere miles away from home? We went somewhere at the weekend that was begging for one. We've got one local to us (south UK) which is owned by someone in Germany, so I'm assuming yes, but just want to check... Had a look on the Earthcache website but didn't see anything obvious, hence the ask!

No container to worry of maintenance and unless the area gets bulldozed/developed, or a natural event causes a change to your requirements/questions, you're good. :)

From the Create an Earthcache page...

"You may submit an EarthCache for a location that is far from your home. You must have visited the site no more than two months prior to the geocache page submission. The reviewer may reject the listing if geocache maintenance seems likely in the foreseeable future (such as a need for different logging tasks)."

Just make sure there's no similar topic in the neighbourhood. And it helps if you have some photo of the location in case the reviewer asks for a bit more detail here or there, or a different logging tasks (don't make tasks about things that are not related to the topic). Good luck :)

And of course if you develop an earthcache far enough from home so that there is a language difference, the earthcache listing must be submitted in the local language.

http://www.earthcache.org/

7. The EarthCache text and logging tasks must be submitted in the local language. Additional languages are encouraged, but the local language must be listed first. You may be requested to provide text in a language understandable to your reviewer to assist with the reviewing process.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

B.

Quick question: can I place an Earthcache somewhere miles away from home? We went somewhere at the weekend that was begging for one. We've got one local to us (south UK) which is owned by someone in Germany, so I'm assuming yes, but just want to check... Had a look on the Earthcache website but didn't see anything obvious, hence the ask!

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Creating EarthCaches

2. Creating EarthCaches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=51

2.4. Creating an EarthCache: Additional Tips

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=295

Vacation EarthCaches

You may submit an EarthCache for a location that is far from your home. You must have visited the site no more than two months prior to the geocache page submission. The reviewer may reject the listing if geocache maintenance seems likely in the foreseeable future (such as a need for different logging tasks).

B.

Keep in mind you still have to abide by the other guidelines: getting landowner permission and, if they local language is not English, getting a translation.

When I was planning my trip to Key West, I did research ahead of time and planned out some possibilities for ECs out at Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas National Park. Then I touched base with the park staff to get initial clearance. I wanted to know ahead of time whether getting coordinates and taking notes would be a waste of time while I was out there, since we were taking the seaplane and only had a few hours on the ground.

if they local language is not English, getting a translation.

I guess the OP has an EC in mind within the UK so language is not an issue.

The repeated mention of the language issue reminded me however about the absurdity of the guideline for ECs.

I would need to come up with an EC in an English speaking country to get an EC published in English while I can get through all

other cache types in English at home whenever I wish to do so. Sometimes (not always) I add a German translation to my caches later, but never before they get

published.