Geocaching Organizations in the Northwest

Team Misguided

This topic is to let you know about the regional geocaching organizations near you. These groups sponsor event caches and online forums where geocachers in the same area can get to know each other and share information. Geocaching organizations play a pivotal role in maintaining good relations with the land managers for the parks and forests where we play our game. Getting involved in your local group is a great way to make new friends and find answers to questions about the local caching scene.

It is up to representatives of the organizations to maintain this thread as a list of links to the Geocaching Groups in the northwest. Please feel free to write a brief post about your geocaching group, giving its name, the area where most of its members live, and a link to the group's website, forums or mailing list. If your information changes later on, post a follow-up post.

Please do not use this pinned topic to promote individual events or initiatives that your group is undertaking. You can start separate topics for those. The moderating team may split out off topic posts into their own threads.

Finally, please note that this thread is not an endorsement by Groundspeak of any organization. It's just a convenient list of links.

wsgaheader.gif

The Washington State Geocaching Assocation was created for Geocaching enthusiasts in the state of Washington.

The WSGA exists to:

* Promote Geocaching as an exciting, family-oriented activity that increases awareness of parks and trail systems.

* Provide opportunities for the Geocaching community to enjoy Geocaching in the area and to meet and socialize with like-minded Geocachers.

* Increase awareness of Geocaching issues in the area through interaction with other outdoor activity groups, Geocaching clubs, and the public.

* Educate Geocachers on low-impact Geocaching and promote stewardship of our natural resources.

* Educate other outdoor enthusiasts on Geocaching.

* Represent Geocaching interests in public forums and to recreation land managers.

* Actively promote the "Cache In Trash Out" program to help in the maintenance of parks and trail systems.

We have 5 "Chapters" that cover the state:

48 North, Puget Sound, Cache-Cadian, Central Washington, and Inland Empire.

To learn more, and become a member if you are not already, visit the link above.

Brian Parkhurst, aka Allanon

2007 WSGA Secretary

Edited by Cascade Reviewer
Removed broken link
Oregon Geocaching is a long-standing website, not an organization, although many of us use it to post events, talk about issues, spread information, and all the other things a formal organization does. Besides a forum it has an area to log Oregon Geocoins. Most members are from Central Oregon although we welcome geocachers throughout the state and beyond. We have links to a half-dozen other regional sites in Oregon.

GAKwolf_small.jpg

GeocacheAlaska is the most Northwest caching organization in the US :D

Geocachelaska is an informal organization, if there is such a thing. A few of us put together a website and the GeocacheAlaska Forum to allow cachers to share information across the nation's largest state and with our friends in the lower 48. Feel free to join us especially if you are planning a trip to the Greatland.

Edited by scobey

Moo!!

We are happy to announce that the COWWS pasture gate has been opened. Come on over, the grass is a nice shade of green and we're a friendly bunch.

COWWS stands for: Cachers Of Washington's Wet Side.

Our Mission Statement is:

To serve the caching community with the highest degree of

silliness, fun and events we are able to.

If this sounds like something you'd like to be a part of then come check us out at www.cowws.net.

Jen, Thanks for posting this here. The Great Falls area has just made it official with the first meeting of the CMGA. The web page is a bit behind the times, but it will be updated very soon. We are hoping our little group can become as successful as yours in Missoula or the one in Billings.

See Ya on the Trails!--

shell618

wsgaheader.gif

The Washington State Geocaching Assocation was created for Geocaching enthusiasts in the state of Washington.

The WSGA exists to:

* Promote Geocaching as an exciting, family-oriented activity that increases awareness of parks and trail systems.

* Provide opportunities for the Geocaching community to enjoy Geocaching in the area and to meet and socialize with like-minded Geocachers.

* Increase awareness of Geocaching issues in the area through interaction with other outdoor activity groups, Geocaching clubs, and the public.

* Educate Geocachers on low-impact Geocaching and promote stewardship of our natural resources.

* Represent Geocaching interests in public forums and to recreation land managers.

* Actively promote the "Cache In Trash Out" program to help in the maintenance of parks and trail systems.

To learn more, and become a member if you are not already, visit the link above. For those that don't like 'blind links' the address is http://www.geocachingwa.org

2007 WSGA Secretary

A note/update to the previously posted information...

There are now 6 Chapters. The previous 5 plus the new Southwestern WA chapter.

In addition, we have upgraded our forum software. Our new address is: http://www.wsgaonline.org/forums/

Unfortunately we were not able to do a bulk 'move' of all our membership data. We did create accounts for all current, paid members and they should have received an email with their user name and a temporary password. If you did not receive an email and think you are a current member, please email me at wsga.secretary at gmail dot com and I'll check to see what is happening.

We will also be creating accounts for all previous paid members. We will not, however, be recreating guest accounts.

If you were a previously paid member and do not want to wait, or were a guest, please feel free to create your own account at the new site and we'll make sure your status is updated as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Brian/Allanon

2008 WSGA Secretary

Yahoogroups was lacking in Geocaching groups for Oregon and Washington so I've started one. There was one for Portland OR where I live but it was pretty much inactive and too narrowly focused. Between meetings of other area Geocaching organizations and Geocaching events, for those that just want a more casual form to talk about the game, the sport, this is the answer. The group has a basic set of "guidelines" that are sent to new members when they join. These guidelines are intended to help kept this a friendly and educational online experience.

You are invited to join my Yahoogroup for Geocachers in Oregon and Washington of all levels of experience. All aspects of Geocaching are welcome for discussion. This is a friendly group with an active and watchful moderator. I'm an experienced yahoogroup moderator.

GeocacheORWA : Oregon & Washington Geocaching

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GeocacheORWA/

orcalogo.gif

orcacoast.org is a community effort to create a resource of information about our area for visiting Geocachers and the tens of thousands of tourists who visit the Oregon and California coast every year. It is also for those who are interested in learning about the many new places discovered while on the hunt.

If you would like to contribute information, photos, or stories about your area on the Oregon or California coast please share them in the forums, or send us an email and we will get your

information posted.

Happy Caching

I would like to let all geocachers in the Greater Portland and Southern Washington area know thatThe Clackamas Geocaching Association is alive and well. We meet in Clackamas County, but anyone can join. Come to our monthly meetings as well as events throughout the year. Visit our website http://www.clackamasgeo.org/ for more info.

Keep on caching!

The group formerly known as Clackamas Geocaching Association has changed it's name. In order to better represent our members that come from all over the Portland metro area (and not just Clackamas County), our members elected to change our name to Geocachers Exploring Oregon or GEO. You can check us out at GEOregon.com.

Look for our monthly events in and around the Portland metro area.

Edited by 3MudDogs

I would like to let all geocachers in the Greater Portland and Southern Washington area know thatThe Clackamas Geocaching Association is alive and well. We meet in Clackamas County, but anyone can join. Come to our monthly meetings as well as events throughout the year. Visit our website http://www.clackamasgeo.org/ for more info.

Keep on caching!

Your site appears to be incorrect, It talks about debt as far as I can tell. Is this a legit organization?

87e44e2b-6fdc-46f0-aa47-bdb78f4c8696.jpg

OregonSAGA is the home of the Salem [OR] Area Geocaching Association. Our monthly meetings are the third Sunday of each month.

We're a fun group that likes to cache, eat, and chat! Feel free to stop by the website!

Spencersb

Vice President

OregonSAGA

Thanks Steve!

Like he said, stop by our website at http://oregonsaga.com.

Beaverbeliever

What gives?? A sorry just kidding page?!

I had to do a bit of hunting, but I found www.georegon.com as their new site name and organization. I'm fairly new to geocaching, but the previously mentioned website looks pretty legit.

DashDude

Keep on caching!

Your site appears to be incorrect, It talks about debt as far as I can tell. Is this a legit organization?

Looking for a Group in the Great falls MT Region?

Hi there,

There is a geocaching group in Great Falls, and it's called the Central Montana Geocachers Association. They have regular events/meetings, but I do not see one posted at the moment. I cannot find a website or any references to a mailing list, but the group is fairly active. I recommend keeping an eye out for a local event or one of the monthly meetings if you want to coordinate with the Great Falls geocachers. I will also see if I can get a cacher from the area to contact you or at least post to this thread.

Another useful resource might be the Geocaching Montana group on facebook. It's run by a cacher out of Great Falls, and there are a number of Montana geocachers subscribed to it.

Sincerely,

MsDelilah

Volunteer geocaching.com cache reviewer MT/ID

Edited by MsDelilah

How about a group near Butte, MT?

Hi there,

There is not a formal geocaching group in Butte that I am aware of, Jaxonlee, but there is a fairly active one just down the road in Helena. The call themselves the Capital City Geocachers, and they are actually having an event later this month. Here's a link to the listing for the event: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6cb00547-0caf-4bf7-a8c7-ba61a3e1c4fd

Another useful resource might be the Geocaching Montana group on facebook. It's run by a cacher out of Great Falls, and there are a number of Montana geocachers subscribed to it.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

MsDelilah

Volunteer geocaching.com cache reviewer MT/ID

Hello all.

We've been geocaching for a few months now and have not met a single geocacher (aside of the friends we got into the hobby since joining). We are located in the Pacific Northwest (more specifically, Walla Walla Washington) and we'd like to find more friends to share our new hobby with.

We developed a Facebook group that we'd like to encourage others in our area to join.

Pacific Northwest Geocachers

2584863.jpg

We don't know who you are. We don't know what you want. If you are looking for caching groups, I can tell you we don't have money. But what we do have are a very particular set of skills; skills we have acquired over a very short career. Skills that make us valuable for people like you. If you join our group now, we'll be friends and that'll be the end of it. We will look through bushes with you, we will crawl around guard rails with you. But if you don't, we will look for you, we will find you, and we will introduce ourselves to you.

orcalogo.gif

orcacoast.org is a community effort to create a resource of information about our area for visiting Geocachers and the tens of thousands of tourists who visit the Oregon and California coast every year. It is also for those who are interested in learning about the many new places discovered while on the hunt.

If you would like to contribute information, photos, or stories about your area on the Oregon or California coast please share them in the forums, or send us an email and we will get your

information posted.

Happy Caching

We now have our own webpage for those who cache in the banks

www.Alaskageocachers.org

Come check us out

How about the middle of Alaska...Fairbanks. Are there any organized cachers to plan with here? Kinda feel like a lone wolf. All the cachers in the area appear to be military, and they rotate out. God bless them, but would love to make some fun but different caches here.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/fairbanksgeocachers/

We are trying to get something going up here....

GAKwolf_small.jpg

GeocacheAlaska is the most Northwest caching organization in the US :D

Geocachelaska is an informal organization, if there is such a thing. A few of us put together a website and the GeocacheAlaska Forum to allow cachers to share information across the nation's largest state and with our friends in the lower 48. Feel free to join us especially if you are planning a trip to the Greatland.

We're still quite active!

If you're planning a trip to AK, just moved here, or live here and had no idea that GeocacheAlaska! exists, be sure to check in and say hello! We're also on facebook. Just search "GeocacheAlaska".

We have a closed group, and an open page. Get in touch if you have qustions!

wsgaheader.gif

The WSGA exists to:

To learn more, and become a member if you are not already, visit the link above. For those that don't like 'blind links' the address is http://www.geocachingwa.org

2007 WSGA Secretary