Too many muggles?

Chofman1

Reviewer would not approve coordinates because there were to many muggles that would report suspicious activity. I'm a rookie but still seems kinda odd. Any thoughts?

Also turned me down on a previous cache idea because it was too long of a hike, seemed odd as well.

You posted a cache for a coordinate check, and your reviewer said the coordinates were ok. Your reviewer made a comment about the amount of activity at this location as it appeared they were familiar with the area, but did not say your cache wouldn't be published here. At least not on the cache page.

I suspect that there is far more to the stories than you are telling us. Too long a hike? I've hiked several miles for some caches. Too many muggles? Try caching on a NYC street! Lady was leaning aginst the sign. I put my backpack down on the sign behind her and grabbed the cache. Retied my shoe string to rehide the cache.

So, don't give us either of those stories.

Reviewer would not approve coordinates because there were to many muggles that would report suspicious activity. I'm a rookie but still seems kinda odd. Any thoughts?
That sounds like an application of the guidelines against caches placed in restricted, prohibited or otherwise inappropriate locations, which state (among other things):

"A cache may be disabled or archived if one or more of the following is true.[...] 4. The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, major roadways, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations."

But that's just a guess based on your "report suspicious activity" comment (not based on "too many muggles").

Also turned me down on a previous cache idea because it was too long of a hike, seemed odd as well.
Yeah, "too long of a hike" is unlikely to be an issue on its own, given the existence of 4-star and 4.5-star terrain ratings. My guess is that there was something else going on, perhaps concern about the guidelines about being responsible for occasional visits to your cache.

But again, that's just a guess.

Talk to your volunteer reviewer. All any of us here in the forums can do is guess. The volunteer reviewers can actually answer questions and clarify issues, assuming that you give them a chance.

I'll admit I don't fully understand the context of that one, but from what I can see it appears your final was located along a parkway which your reviewer thought was illegal to park on to grab the cache, and that there would be a long hike from legal parking to get to the cache area, and (my interpretation) is that hiking along the parkway wouldn't be legal anyway.

Reviewer would not approve coordinates because there were to many muggles that would report suspicious activity.

There are certain areas that are off-limits because of the potential impact of cachers appearing suspicious (under major bridges, near schools, etc.; see Guidelines section I.-1.-6.), but other than that, "too many muggles" isn't something that alone would prevent a cache from being published. There are countless examples of caches in extremely high muggle areas.

There had to be more to it than that. Was it that you didn't have permission for the cache to be there? Was it that you wouldn't be able to perform maintenance in the future if required? Again, there are countless examples of caches that require a significant hike to get to. I could point you to hundreds just in my area that require a hike of over 10 kilometres. I seem to remember hearing about a Multi in Europe where you had to hike over 100 miles! "Too far" isn't something that alone would prevent a cache from being published.

You posted a cache for a coordinate check, and your reviewer said the coordinates were ok. Your reviewer made a comment about the amount of activity at this location as it appeared they were familiar with the area, but did not say your cache wouldn't be published here. At least not on the cache page.

This is true, i just took it as their way of saying it would not be published. Are you saying I should give it a go and see what happens?

I'll admit I don't fully understand the context of that one, but from what I can see it appears your final was located along a parkway which your reviewer thought was illegal to park on to grab the cache, and that there would be a long hike from legal parking to get to the cache area, and (my interpretation) is that hiking along the parkway wouldn't be legal anyway.

The final was located along a bike path which is along a parkway. It was at the end of a row of caches all placed along the same bike path, all .1 miles apart. Those cache description pages all contained waypoints to the designated parking area. He/she also said the final was too close to an old archived cache in which I asked the specifics of that guideline with no answer. He/she then suggested an alternate location closer to the virtual, which i obliged and there she lay on a guardrail.

That sounds like an application of the guidelines against caches placed in restricted, prohibited or otherwise inappropriate locations, which state (among other things):

"A cache may be disabled or archived if one or more of the following is true.[...] 4. The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, major roadways, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations."

But that's just a guess based on your "report suspicious activity" comment (not based on "too many muggles").

Yeah, "too long of a hike" is unlikely to be an issue on its own, given the existence of 4-star and 4.5-star terrain ratings. My guess is that there was something else going on, perhaps concern about the guidelines about being responsible for occasional visits to your cache.

But again, that's just a guess.

Talk to your volunteer reviewer. All any of us here in the forums can do is guess. The volunteer reviewers can actually answer questions and clarify issues, assuming that you give them a chance.

The proposed location is near a major bus terminal downtown.

Ive asked the reviewer detailed questions with no response.

Edited by Chofman1

I bet there is already a Pokemon GO stop there at that bus stop.

Not a place I would be interested in placing a geocache. Not even a place I would seek one.

Shouldnt be to quick to judge before you see the location, isnt that what its all about, seeing something you wouldnt have otherwise seen? You may have missed out on too many bus stations just by filtering them out. But, for those who love buses, its an awesome spot!

Edited by Chofman1

Not a place I would be interested in placing a geocache. Not even a place I would seek one.

Shouldnt be to quick to judge before you see the location

You are correct, but I'm just thinking about my hides and those that I seek.

I agree with your reviewer. It may not be a great location and would attract too much attention.

Is it a Pokemon GO stop? Maybe people are already used to gamers playing at that location.

As for using stealth, normally that means blanket permission, the CO did not actually ask or obtain permission. They only have permission to be there.

Several things you need to consider before placing a geocache in a crowded place.

I agree with your reviewer. It may not be a great location and would attract too much attention.

Is it a Pokemon GO stop? Maybe people are already used to gamers playing at that location.

As for using stealth, normally that means blanket permission, the CO did not actually ask or obtain permission. They only have permission to be there.

Several things you need to consider before placing a geocache in a crowded place.

First mistake..thinking of only the hides you seek. This activity is open for all.

As for pokemon go, I have no idea what that is and the only people I see down there are getting on and off buses. So if geting on and off buses, sitting on benches and smoking cigarettes is what pokemon go players do then yes, this place is full of them.

First mistake..thinking of only the hides you seek. This activity is open for all.

As for pokemon go, I have no idea what that is and the only people I see down there are getting on and off buses. So if geting on and off buses, sitting on benches and smoking cigarettes is what pokemon go players do then yes, this place is full of them.

My mistake was attempting to give you advise.

Have a nice day.

So click submit and give it a try. The bus-riding, smoking muggles are too busy getting places to care about the cache.

My thoughts exactly. I did click submit and am giving it a try. Its within guidelines, it might not get popular vote, but its within guidelines.

Edited by Chofman1

Shouldnt be to quick to judge before you see the location, isnt that what its all about, seeing something you wouldnt have otherwise seen? You may have missed out on too many bus stations just by filtering them out. But, for those who love buses, its an awesome spot!

I have seen quite a few caches placed near train stations in Europe. For someone that doesn't have a car or is traveling (without a car) those caches are good for someone just looking a few caches to find. When I'm traveling and have a layover city I'll check ground transportation information for the airport to see if there are any caches accessible from a light rail or train that services the airport. I found a couple of wonderful caches in Tokyo in the town of Narita (about a 10 minute train ride away) instead of walking to a couple of caches withing walking distance of the airport terminal.

Some day I'd like to do the Five Star New York cache, a somewhat famous mystery cache in Manhattan that most people do using public transportation (subway).

In the UK we have an "urban caching" guideline.

And many caches near train/bus stations.

Geocaches should be hidden so as to minimise the chance of security alerts, particularly where there is a likelihood of finders being considered suspicious for example where a geocache is overlooked by houses / offices / shops / people. When a geocache is placed in an overlooked location, the geocache owner should help finders avoid being considered suspicious by offering a clear and unambiguous hint on how to retrieve the geocache quickly. Geocache owners should mark caches externally with the relevant listing site reference (eg GCxxxxxx, OXxxxxxx, or OCxxxxx) wherever the geocache is big enough for this to be written externally. This will offer the Police a better way to identify a suspect package as a geocache.

I like having both sides of the story. Thanks for posting it. :)

It sounds like the reviewer might have been trying to give some helpful advice. Between security issues, and general cache theft, a cache in a high muggle area is going to need frequent-to-constant maintenance. Running out every two or three days to replace a cache gets old fast, even for cachers with lots of experience.

Some day I'd like to do the Five Star New York cache, a somewhat famous mystery cache in Manhattan that most people do using public transportation (subway).

Spectacular cache! (Not really Five-Star for terrain...) Andy Bear and I worked on it for ten months! Finally found it in 2005. We would drive into the city every other week. Then walk or use the subway to get to locations or other caches. A few of the locations, we drove to. Most of the locations had many muggles, but with no container there, the muggles were irrelevant. A few spots were (spicy). (I guess strange things happen in the parks on Sunday mornings?) One of our favorite caches of all time! I have no idea how Avroair created this! But, the fact that if you use the subways to get from point to point, that has nothing to do with muggles near caches.

*UPDATE*

This is why I was hesitant about going forward and trying for the publish. I know my reviewer, and I know how he/she likes to talk down to me. But after a little encouragement here, I went ahead and submitted it with little hope anyways. Here is the response,

Apparently you did not read my previous reviewer note. It was supposed to nicely discourage you from placing a geocache here.

Now that I have looked it over even closer it is obvious that the bus terminal belongs to the city of Shreveport and is thus government property. It would also appear that the wall, the one way alleyway next to the wall and the parking lot belong to the city as well and are thus government property.

Geocaching HQ guidelines state that a cache can be problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, major roadways, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

The Complete Guidelines should be read and understood thoroughly.

Geocaching is already a touchy subject with the city of Shreveport. We do not want to cause a problem with the existing caches there.

For now, I am going to disable the cache listing to give you time to find a more suitable spot. Everything can be edited and the listing can be used, When done, just re-enable it. at that time, just post a new log on this cache page telling me what you have hidden, where and something about the property and select 'Post Reviewer Note'. That type of log will be automatically deleted when the cache is approved. Any notes should be posted on the cache page and not sent to me via email please.

Thank for understanding,