updating cache information and TB's

gypsy74

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some questions answered.

1) why do the owners of the 'cache' not update the information as to track able bugs/coins in them? I am new to the Geo world (absolutely hooked :))

but I have been trying to locate trackable's to carry this weekend up to north Carolina with me. But all of them that say they have them in them, do not. I learned to check the comments but even some of them do not say who picked them up. So how do I find active in place trackable bugs? any help or tips would be awesome.

2)so I have found 58 in 4 days of becoming a cacher. and I am now going to start placing them out in special places. I have ordered ftf coins, and tokens, as a prize for the FTF I also place a gold dollar in each one, a log and a pencil to sign the log, my question is,

is there other swag that is favored by cachers that I could put in them?

3) I have noticed many un kept caches, soggy logs, broken cache: I do make it a goal to help "fix" these while I'm on the trail. I replace logs, and even leave pencils to sign, and my "signature leave" is a gold dollar. I do not always take anything to collect in fact rarely, But always leave a coin.. My question is

Why do not more cachers help there fellow cachers and repair on the trails? I don't mind in fact I love to repair them, I actually just ordered MANY supplies to repair as I go because I enjoy doing it. But why doesn't everyone do it?

On a positive note, one of my dads TB's was sitting still in the possession of a really nice cacher since January, I actually contacted him and reminded him of the TB and he was very friendly even apologized for holding it so long as he forgot to set it free. He plans to put it back on the move this weekend!! Super nice person:)

Oh I almost forgot, I am looking into starting a series of caches in my area of Tennessee, we have a federal reserve some roads lots of trails, if I get approval we plan to place a minimum of 30 medium to large:) it will be in what is called Catoosa Reserve, great for those who like to be outdoors:) and we will be sure to keep up the maintenance on them so they will be nice finds:) thanks everyone who helps out in this forum. Please keep all comments or remarks friendly thanks again

As far as the TB question goes. There is really no way to know if the TBs are really there.

You just take a chance and go look. What do you get out of it? Another find :grin:

Maybe you get lucky and find a TB. Some times a TB is listed in the wrong cache.

Sometimes it is stuck in some geocachers bag. Then it suddenly pops up. I have three that are MIA.

One of them pops out of the black hole that it falls into at times. One may have been stolen, but I keep hope it

is turned loose. That is why some cache and TB owners don't list them out of the geocache. It hurts nothing to leave it.

I have went to a cache that listed five in it and had none. AH! so what. The hunt for the cache is what it is all about, TBs are extra.

As far as the TB question goes. There is really no way to know if the TBs are really there.

You just take a chance and go look. What do you get out of it? Another find :grin:

Maybe you get lucky and find a TB. Some times a TB is listed in the wrong cache.

Sometimes it is stuck in some geocachers bag. Then it suddenly pops up. I have three that are MIA.

One of them pops out of the black hole that it falls into at times. One may have been stolen, but I keep hope it

is turned loose. That is why some cache and TB owners don't list them out of the geocache. It hurts nothing to leave it.

I have went to a cache that listed five in it and had none. AH! so what. The hunt for the cache is what it is all about, TBs are extra.

True I love the find too even when just a micro , its the hunt that I love. I was mostly trying to find out how to find one nearby so I can take it on a journey:) I just purchased 4 TB to set free and will soon as I get them:) I also bout the bug for my jeep:) I didn't even know you can log vehicles until my dad came to visit in his big rig. He has one on his truck:) now I know to watch for them n cars. Love this geo world Thank you for your input

1) why do the owners of the 'cache' not update the information as to track able bugs/coins in them?

Because that's not the cache owner's job. That is the job of the trackable owner.

I have several caches that are major hikes to reach. You want I should run out to check on them every time somebody claims a trackable is missing? Not gonna happen.

why do the owners of the 'cache' not update the information as to track able bugs/coins in them?

- As a cache owner, I'm not gonna run out whenever someone can't keep track of another's side game.

When I do maintenance, I'll look and see if it's there.

If it isn't, I'll email and give the TO a chance to mark it missing first.

Why do not more cachers help there fellow cachers and repair on the trails?

- It is the cache owner's responsibility to do maintenance on their hides.

I'll add some paper if needed and occasionally wipe one out (if I have a rag).

I maintain my hides, others should too.

1) why do the owners of the 'cache' not update the information as to track able bugs/coins in them?

Because that's not the cache owner's job. That is the job of the trackable owner.

I have several caches that are major hikes to reach. You want I should run out to check on them every time somebody claims a trackable is missing? Not gonna happen.

Hey Fizzymagic, I wasn't being rude asking this question, as I STATED Im new and have questions. I wont know if I do not ask. Again thanks for your answer even though it was a bit sarcastic. Have a nice evening and happy hunting to you

Hey Fizzymagic, I wasn't being rude asking this question, as I STATED Im new and have questions. I wont know if I do not ask. Again thanks for your answer even though it was a bit sarcastic. Have a nice evening and happy hunting to you

I'll be the one to tell you, blunt and to the point is the main communication strategy around here:

Hey how about we play nicely with the new cacher who has legit questions, even if they have been asked in here before? <_<

to the OP:

Keep in mind that geocaching has been going on for 14 years now. There are lots of caches out there that no longer have active or involved owners but are perfectly find otherwise. So it's possible that someone dropped a TB into the cache but the person who grabbed it never logged it out properly. Or there might just be a delay in logging. I know some cachers who are a few weeks and even months behind on their logging. The inventory on my TB Hotel is rarely accurate, but that's more a case of frequent visitation than my lack of interest.

Most FTF's I know only care about one thing-a clean log sheet. Prizes and coins are nice, but don't go too crazy on that stuff. As far as swag goes, just drop some dollar store stuff that you might enjoy finding in a cache. It's really more about the journey and fun of finding them and not the prizes in the cracker jax.

Why don't more cachers help maintain other cachers hides? Because some of us are tired of taking care of them for those who don't. See answer #1.

Regarding hiding them yourself-good for you. Well placed caches are always appreciated. Be sure to read the guidelines and check the land management wiki article to make sure that your chosen property doesn't have any permit issues.

if I get approval we plan to place a minimum of 30 medium to large

Why not place 2 or 3 to start with? Thirty caches is a lot to maintain.

The fact that the area around that reserve is well-populated with geocaches, while the reserve itself is not, suggests that there is a reason.

A very cursory amount of research turns up a considerable amount of information to indicate that geocaching is not welcome in that particular area. I highly doubt they will be receptive to the idea of someone squirting out dozens of geocaches in an area that is supposed to be there to protect wildlife.

Hey how about we play nicely with the new cacher who has legit questions, even if they have been asked in here before? <_<

to the OP:

Keep in mind that geocaching has been going on for 14 years now. There are lots of caches out there that no longer have active or involved owners but are perfectly find otherwise. So it's possible that someone dropped a TB into the cache but the person who grabbed it never logged it out properly. Or there might just be a delay in logging. I know some cachers who are a few weeks and even months behind on their logging. The inventory on my TB Hotel is rarely accurate, but that's more a case of frequent visitation than my lack of interest.

Most FTF's I know only care about one thing-a clean log sheet. Prizes and coins are nice, but don't go too crazy on that stuff. As far as swag goes, just drop some dollar store stuff that you might enjoy finding in a cache. It's really more about the journey and fun of finding them and not the prizes in the cracker jax.

Why don't more cachers help maintain other cachers hides? Because some of us are tired of taking care of them for those who don't. See answer #1.

Regarding hiding them yourself-good for you. Well placed caches are always appreciated. Be sure to read the guidelines and check the land management wiki article to make sure that your chosen property doesn't have any permit issues.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer in such detail :) My dad introduced me to it, but even he has only 32 finds though a member since 2000, he just doesn't have the time to research or help me learn. He has a couple cache out, and two TB, but with 58 finds myself lol in 4 days, I think I end up sharing the things I learn with him more. So Again I thank you for your time.

The fact that the area around that reserve is well-populated with geocaches, while the reserve itself is not, suggests that there is a reason.

A very cursory amount of research turns up a considerable amount of information to indicate that geocaching is not welcome in that particular area. I highly doubt they will be receptive to the idea of someone squirting out dozens of geocaches in an area that is supposed to be there to protect wildlife.

We actually have a local Geo club here mostly located in Fair field glade where most of the members live. Placing a few was considered but after talking with the FFG Geo club, most would only hunt there if they were going to find several , as it is 80k acres of forest. I will of course research it much more before starting. This reserve touches our property which make it very close to maintain them:)

We actually have a local Geo club here mostly located in Fair field glade where most of the members live. Placing a few was considered but after talking with the FFG Geo club, most would only hunt there if they were going to find several , as it is 80k acres of forest. I will of course research it much more before starting. This reserve touches our property which make it very close to maintain them:)

I just looked at the map of that fair field Glade area. It looks more like an unfinished housing development to me,

You need to make sure that there are not private property issues here. Maybe find a State forest and lay out a geotrail on a road in that forest.

I do see a wildlife management area near by. But watch out DNR may not allow it there. Have a look at Minnesota State forest geotrails.

King Boreas is the King of laying out a bunch of those. Here we may not hide in wildlife management areas, but we can in State forest.

Good luck and have fun.

I just looked at the map of that fair field Glade area. It looks more like an unfinished housing development to me,

You need to make sure that there are not private property issues here. Maybe find a State forest and lay out a geotrail on a road in that forest.

I do see a wildlife management area near by. But watch out DNR may not allow it there. Have a look at Minnesota State forest geotrails.

King Boreas is the King of laying out a bunch of those. Here we may not hide in wildlife management areas, but we can in State forest.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you Mn-treker good advice:)

I find it very, very odd that there are NO caches in there, at all. ZERO. If the experienced geocachers who have otherwise filled the area with caches haven't placed ANY in there, that should tell you something.

Good luck and have fun.

She specifically mentions Catoosa, which is a wildlife reserve. You don't need to look very far to see that Tennessee is very strict about where geocaching is permitted. The entire area AROUND the reserve is full of geocaches, but there is not a single one inside the reserve. It's highly unlikely that in 14 years, not a single geocacher has thought to place one there and this n00b is the first to consider the idea.

Welcome to the game, glad you're enjoying it, and sorry the old grumps seem to have come out in force today!

1) Some COs do maintain the trackables in their caches. If I get several reports that a TB isn't in one of my caches, or just one report from a cacher who's I respect, then I will mark it as missing. If I make a mistake it's not the end of the world as the missing status will automatically be recinded once the next finder logs it.

2) It's not that common to put FTF prizes in caches in the UK, and as someone said the biggest reward for most FTFers is the blank log. As for swag, think about who will be finding the cache, if it's in an ideal place for families or people with small kids to find, then put stuff in for the kids. If it's up a mountain, put stuff in which might appeal to an outdoors person. But TBH I wouldn't spend too much on the swag.

3) drying out caches, replacing logs, etc. is fine, but as was said before it can become a bit tiresome if every find needs maintaining because the CO is too lazy to do it. Don't be tempted into replacing missing caches, AKA a throwdown, while some people think they're doing a service by doing so they're not. If it's missing report it as such and log an NM on it.

Welcome to the game, glad you're enjoying it, and sorry the old grumps seem to have come out in force today!

1) Some COs do maintain the trackables in their caches. If I get several reports that a TB isn't in one of my caches, or just one report from a cacher who's I respect, then I will mark it as missing. If I make a mistake it's not the end of the world as the missing status will automatically be recinded once the next finder logs it.

2) It's not that common to put FTF prizes in caches in the UK, and as someone said the biggest reward for most FTFers is the blank log. As for swag, think about who will be finding the cache, if it's in an ideal place for families or people with small kids to find, then put stuff in for the kids. If it's up a mountain, put stuff in which might appeal to an outdoors person. But TBH I wouldn't spend too much on the swag.

3) drying out caches, replacing logs, etc. is fine, but as was said before it can become a bit tiresome if every find needs maintaining because the CO is too lazy to do it. Don't be tempted into replacing missing caches, AKA a throwdown, while some people think they're doing a service by doing so they're not. If it's missing report it as such and log an NM on it.

Thank you very much for your kindness. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer each question. Happy hunting:-) and I will use this advice:-)

Good luck and have fun.

She specifically mentions Catoosa, which is a wildlife reserve. You don't need to look very far to see that Tennessee is very strict about where geocaching is permitted. The entire area AROUND the reserve is full of geocaches, but there is not a single one inside the reserve. It's highly unlikely that in 14 years, not a single geocacher has thought to place one there and this n00b is the first to consider the idea.

Maybe it is an issue of semantics On the map that is identified as a wildlife management area. Here Reserves and Management areas are two different things.

As I told her the DNR may not allow it, so DUH she should check. In Minnesota you may see some in the management areas. But they where placed before the rule went into effect.

The DNR decided to let them be until they go dead. It should be easy to find out what the state allows as to placement of geocaches.

Just check with the DNR If you cant understand who that is. The Department of Natural Resources. Also some cities and counties have rules as to placement.

Check with them or you could wind up with a bomb scare and arrest.

A ) It's not the responsibility of the cache owner to do TB inventory. I do sometimes on my caches. And if a TB is missing from a cache that I find, I leave a not on the cache page and on the TB page. But TB owners seldom perform the maintenance. Here's a TB listed in a cache. It's only been missing 11 years! S's Car

I have put out 46 Trackables. Perhaps five are still active. That's why I don't bother anymore. Most have been stolen. One is still listed as in someone's hands since 2006. There has been a suggestion made to 'gray out' TBs that several cachers have reported as missing. (Only the TB owner, the cache owner or a lackey can move them to missing.) But nothing has come of that suggestion.

B ) Cache maintenance. Almost never do I perform maintenance on other cachers' caches. If the CO is unable or unwilling to do the maintenance, it's probably better for it to be archived. Okay. I did put a piece of paper in a cache I found open on the ground. But that was mainly so our signatures would be in the cache. CO has been missing for a few years. So, he is not performing maintenance.

C ) If you do not like someone's response, remember: it is against the guidelines to call that user 'sarcastic'. If you have an agendum, keep it to yourself. You expect users to be friendly. Be friendly yourself.

A ) It's not the responsibility of the cache owner to do TB inventory. I do sometimes on my caches. And if a TB is missing from a cache that I find, I leave a not on the cache page and on the TB page. But TB owners seldom perform the maintenance. Here's a TB listed in a cache. It's only been missing 11 years! S's Car

I have put out 46 Trackables. Perhaps five are still active. That's why I don't bother anymore. Most have been stolen. One is still listed as in someone's hands since 2006. There has been a suggestion made to 'gray out' TBs that several cachers have reported as missing. (Only the TB owner, the cache owner or a lackey can move them to missing.) But nothing has come of that suggestion.

B ) Cache maintenance. Almost never do I perform maintenance on other cachers' caches. If the CO is unable or unwilling to do the maintenance, it's probably better for it to be archived. Okay. I did put a piece of paper in a cache I found open on the ground. But that was mainly so our signatures would be in the cache. CO has been missing for a few years. So, he is not performing maintenance.

C ) If you do not like someone's response, remember: it is against the guidelines to call that user 'sarcastic'. If you have an agendum, keep it to yourself. You expect users to be friendly. Be friendly yourself.

I am actually very friendly, but I do not allow myself to be bullied verbally or otherwise. So stating the obvious that she was sarcastic is not being mean or rude its being honest because I was simply trying to learn from experienced cachers by asking questions. Never did I think me asking legitimate questions would cause such arrogant responses. Thank you to all who have been kind and helpful and to the rest, happy hunting! I do not believe I will be visiting these forums often as I completely expected a much nicer group of people. Now that didn't take long to learn :(

I am actually very friendly, but I do not allow myself to be bullied verbally or otherwise. So stating the obvious that she was sarcastic is not being mean or rude its being honest because I was simply trying to learn from experienced cachers by asking questions. Never did I think me asking legitimate questions would cause such arrogant responses. Thank you to all who have been kind and helpful and to the rest, happy hunting! I do not believe I will be visiting these forums often as I completely expected a much nicer group of people. Now that didn't take long to learn :(

Yes, unfortunately there are quite a few people in these forums who feel that anyone new needs to be pounded into the ground as a welcome. However, if you want to get a better taste of the good and helpful people that are around here, spend some time in the Getting Started forum. The members who frequent that section tend to be very helpful and patient, and the moderators make sure this remains the case.

Welcome to the forums and geocaching! We're not all bad! :laughing:

Yes, unfortunately there are quite a few people in these forums who feel that anyone new needs to be pounded into the ground as a welcome. However, if you want to get a better taste of the good and helpful people that are around here, spend some time in the Getting Started forum. The members who frequent that section tend to be very helpful and patient, and the moderators make sure this remains the case.

Thank you The-A-Team :) I will have to do that:)

I would tend to disagree with the "not my job" responders, but you asked why people are not more helpful to each other and I guess you found out, right?

I think if you had asked this question a few years ago you might have gotten a different, more cooperative tone in the responses. There has been such an enormous influx of totally irresponsible wannabe cachers over the past few years that some oldtimers have just gotten fed up. Or maybe some of them just never did help out anyone else, I don't know.

It looks like you have very few hiders in your area, so you're going to run out of easy finds very soon. I agree with the suggestion that you just place a couple and see how that goes. There's no need to place 20 or 30 in a short time.

I'm glad to see you're going to an event next month, that will give you a chance to get ideas from others.

And totally off topic, did you know that Crossville is the headquarters for the U.S. Chess Federation?

One of the points Fizzy didn't tell you is that the geocache belongs to the cache owner, the trackable belongs to the trackable owner. So as the cache owner you are responsible for the cache, not the contents.

Some people (myself included some days) don't belong in the getting started forums,

Now you are accusing people of being 'arrogant'. Check the guidelines. Calling someone 'sarcastic' or 'arrogant' does not seem to fit the definition of 'actually very friendly'. Yes. You're a newbie, and expect everyone to bow at your feet. Yet, you post offensive remarks. Try being 'actually very friendly'. Might get you further,

Welcome to the game! You're on a roll with finds (makes me realize how much the game has changed since I first found a "stash", and struggled to find another for months and years!), and that's great! I'll address my take on your questions within your quote below:

1) why do the owners of the 'cache' not update the information as to track able bugs/coins in them? I am new to the Geo world (absolutely hooked :))

but I have been trying to locate trackable's to carry this weekend up to north Carolina with me. But all of them that say they have them in them, do not. I learned to check the comments but even some of them do not say who picked them up. So how do I find active in place trackable bugs? any help or tips would be awesome.

Not all owners know how to do so. Not all owners want to do so. Not all owners are active. Not all owners are as hooked as you! Be patient, and remember that we all play the game slightly different than the next person. This is an incredibly individual game, played by a large number of people with diverse opinions. Just as with all things in humanity, some are similar, and others are different. All you can do is be the best cache owner and trackable owner you can be. That much is what you can control in this game. It's hard, when you start, to imagine that this now long-established game doesn't have more consistency and follow-through. But the fact remains, it is just a listing service where we all come to play this location-based game.

2)so I have found 58 in 4 days of becoming a cacher. and I am now going to start placing them out in special places. I have ordered ftf coins, and tokens, as a prize for the FTF I also place a gold dollar in each one, a log and a pencil to sign the log, my question is,

is there other swag that is favored by cachers that I could put in them?

There are some great threads on the forums you can search for ideas. Much of what you find in caches can seem like junk. But one person's junk is another's treasure. If you keep your caches stocked with the things you'd like to find when you cache, you'll make some happy cachers. Just keep in mind that not all people are "trading properly". So, eventually you will be making a choice to stop stocking quality swag at all, or to keep up with buying things that turn into a cache full of broken McDonald's toys in a month.

3) I have noticed many un kept caches, soggy logs, broken cache: I do make it a goal to help "fix" these while I'm on the trail. I replace logs, and even leave pencils to sign, and my "signature leave" is a gold dollar. I do not always take anything to collect in fact rarely, But always leave a coin.. My question is

Why do not more cachers help there fellow cachers and repair on the trails? I don't mind in fact I love to repair them, I actually just ordered MANY supplies to repair as I go because I enjoy doing it. But why doesn't everyone do it?

Again, a diverse group of people. You can only control you, and it sounds like you're doing a good job of being a very considerate community member. Don't let yourself get jaded by how others are not acting as you think they should. Find your happy place, and stay there. Youll find many people who have become jaded on the game and other players. Heck, I've been that person off and on. But I try very hard to just worry about me, and try to help others at the most simple level just follow the guidelines so we have some amount of accountability and consistency.

On a positive note, one of my dads TB's was sitting still in the possession of a really nice cacher since January, I actually contacted him and reminded him of the TB and he was very friendly even apologized for holding it so long as he forgot to set it free. He plans to put it back on the move this weekend!! Super nice person:)

What luck! Glad that was a positive experience. Do be sure to keep a level head when you most assuredly encounter someone who s less receptive to that kind of nudge.

Oh I almost forgot, I am looking into starting a series of caches in my area of Tennessee, we have a federal reserve some roads lots of trails, if I get approval we plan to place a minimum of 30 medium to large:) it will be in what is called Catoosa Reserve, great for those who like to be outdoors:) and we will be sure to keep up the maintenance on them so they will be nice finds:) thanks everyone who helps out in this forum. Please keep all comments or remarks friendly thanks again

Ambitious! Understand that any time a new cacher asserts themselves in this game someone decides to get bend out of shape by it. So, soliciting feedback from your peers and others in your area is advisable. Be humble, but also carefully assertive. If you set yourself up well, you can be a positive standout in the community. But, on the other hand, with one wrong step, you can bruise many a toe within the area.

Do be sure to read the guidelines about where you can hide caches. What kind of federel reserve are you talking about? For example, National Wildlife Refuges cannot have any physical caches placed within them. Other caches can be placed on some federal lands, but only with explicit permission. I'd recommend getting in touch with your local Reviewer before getting too far down the road of creating this large series. There's a lot to learn about the guidelines, local, state, and federal regulations affecting where you can and can't hide caches.

When you're in North Carolina, if you get to Durham, be sure to get in touch with mnloon. Tell them NeverSummer sent ya! ;)

Now you are accusing people of being 'arrogant'. Check the guidelines. Calling someone 'sarcastic' or 'arrogant' does not seem to fit the definition of 'actually very friendly'. Yes. You're a newbie, and expect everyone to bow at your feet. Yet, you post offensive remarks. Try being 'actually very friendly'. Might get you further,

Pot, meet kettle...

Hey Fizzymagic, I wasn't being rude asking this question, as I STATED Im new and have questions. I wont know if I do not ask. Again thanks for your answer even though it was a bit sarcastic. Have a nice evening and happy hunting to you.

I had no intent to be rude. I answered directly and there was no sarcasm in my response. I was blunt, but believe me, if I had wanted to be sarcastic you would have known.

The following is intended to be helpful. I'd like to assist you in getting the most out of the forums.

First, if you wish to be treated with kid gloves because you are new, I recommend that you look at the list of available forums. See that one near the top labeled "Getting Started?" That's a good place to, well, get started, and ask these kinds of questions. Had you posted your question there, you would likely have received a response closer to what you wanted.

However, instead you chose to post in the main forum. Without doing a search. Turns out this topic has come up before, repeatedly. It's a sore point with many that people come in and complain that cache owners aren't "maintaining their caches" when they don't update trackable information.

Also, you did not post the question in a neutral, just-wanting-information way. Rather than asking "Is it the responsibility of a cache owner to keep trackable information up to date in their caches?" you instead asked "why do the owners of the 'cache' not update the information as to track able bugs/coins in them?"

IMO, you were rude in how you asked the question. It came off as a whine, not a legitimate question. So my advice is to think carefully about how you word questions if you want to be perceived as curious, rather than having an agenda.

You may need to take your own advice sir. enough said.

Hey Fizzymagic, I wasn't being rude asking this question, as I STATED Im new and have questions. I wont know if I do not ask. Again thanks for your answer even though it was a bit sarcastic. Have a nice evening and happy hunting to you.

I had no intent to be rude. I answered directly and there was no sarcasm in my response. I was blunt, but believe me, if I had wanted to be sarcastic you would have known.

The following is intended to be helpful. I'd like to assist you in getting the most out of the forums.

First, if you wish to be treated with kid gloves because you are new, I recommend that you look at the list of available forums. See that one near the top labeled "Getting Started?" That's a good place to, well, get started, and ask these kinds of questions. Had you posted your question there, you would likely have received a response closer to what you wanted.

However, instead you chose to post in the main forum. Without doing a search. Turns out this topic has come up before, repeatedly. It's a sore point with many that people come in and complain that cache owners aren't "maintaining their caches" when they don't update trackable information.

Also, you did not post the question in a neutral, just-wanting-information way. Rather than asking "Is it the responsibility of a cache owner to keep trackable information up to date in their caches?" you instead asked "why do the owners of the 'cache' not update the information as to track able bugs/coins in them?"

IMO, you were rude in how you asked the question. It came off as a whine, not a legitimate question. So my advice is to think carefully about how you word questions if you want to be perceived as curious, rather than having an agenda.

As being new to these forums maybe I didn't realize there were different topic areas for a newbie.. that's obvious because I surely would have looked there before dealing with all this drama. I do not "expect" kids gloves trust me im a big girl and can give as good as I get. Thank you for your time I apologize for offending any one. Maybe its not ME expecting kids gloves. Have a nice day I will not bother you any further.

Edited by gypsy74

Pot, meet kettle...

I do not "expect kids gloves or to be bowed to" maybe that is you sir. Now had I known or was more familiar with the forums(once again IM new)I would have known about a "getting started" forum. It would have simple for any one of you to direct me there. rather then all the drama here. Im a big girl I can give as good as I get, so no kid gloves needed here and I am no Queen so I surely am not looking for anyone on there knees. Have a nice day .I will no longer feed into this. I asked what I thought would be simple questions, if you all old timers are sick of newbies as you continue to say in this forum you had the adult choice of not responding to 'a newbie'

Getting Started threads are helpful, and generally met with more patience than in here. However, unless you ask a Mod to move this thread to that Topic, this is where the conversation about this topic will need to be had. Because...The moderators will close "duplicate topics" when they come across them.

So, I think you've received some difficult feedback here, but also some very helpful feedback mixed in. (Did you catch my feedback mixed in between the other, more "blunt" ones?)

Anyhow, the best bet is to not engage with those who have upset you. They are mostly harmless once you get to know them, but many of us may come across as brutish, "arrogant", or curt. Take it all with a grain of salt, and know that intentions are good, even if the presentation is not the best. :anibad:

Getting Started threads are helpful, and generally met with more patience than in here. However, unless you ask a Mod to move this thread to that Topic, this is where the conversation about this topic will need to be had. Because...The moderators will close "duplicate topics" when they come across them.

So, I think you've received some difficult feedback here, but also some very helpful feedback mixed in. (Did you catch my feedback mixed in between the other, more "blunt" ones?)

Anyhow, the best bet is to not engage with those who have upset you. They are mostly harmless once you get to know them, but many of us may come across as brutish, "arrogant", or curt. Take it all with a grain of salt, and know that intentions are good, even if the presentation is not the best. :anibad:

thank you for being kind, and I will keep all of it in mind.

In fairness to the OP, I didn't read the same rude/whiny tone into the question that you did. Just a different personal interpretation of how it is read.

In the spirit of staying on-topic, given how many people sometimes don't even find the cache itself, I would never assume a trackable is missing from one of my caches simply because a seeker mentioned in their log they didn't see it in the cache. (Especially on my regular size caches.)

The whole "trackables are such a novelty" thing leads to disappointment in many new cachers when they realize how frequently the trackables aren't properly logged in/out of caches. I think most quickly get over it once the shininess wears off.

In fairness to the OP, I didn't read the same rude/whiny tone into the question that you did. Just a different personal interpretation of how it is read.

In the spirit of staying on-topic, given how many people sometimes don't even find the cache itself, I would never assume a trackable is missing from one of my caches simply because a seeker mentioned in their log they didn't see it in the cache. (Especially on my regular size caches.)

The whole "trackables are such a novelty" thing leads to disappointment in many new cachers when they realize how frequently the trackables aren't properly logged in/out of caches. I think most quickly get over it once the shininess wears off.

Thank you. Yes I'm a little excited lol with all of this , and I am a perfectionist in some areas, I believe in giving 100% if your going to do anything you do it all the way;) That's was why I wanted to ask questions. I didn't want to assume how things are done so I thought to come in a forum and get input from experience. But since this forum I have went and researched many helpful site which answered many of my questions without any drama. I have also found 4 trackables, and will relocate them to North Carolina this weekend. That made me smile haha. I also will be placing 2 cache and 3 TB's I am very excited for all I'm learning and I can honestly say this is a great hobby now:)oh and I have now educated myself on poisonous plants, as I came in contact with poison sumac. , thank goodness for my doctor as he made sure it didn't get out of control.I am still on the hunt. again thank you for your response. You are very kind

Ouch poison sumac. I have heard of it, in Minnesota we don't have it just regular Sumac.

Poison Ivy yes and lots of it, I have found that Technu Extreme works great as a treatment.

It is also recommended as a scrub after you come back from the field if you suspect contact with a poison plant.

I get mine at Walmart, if you can't find it look to the web.

Have fun.

Ouch poison sumac. I have heard of it, in Minnesota we don't have it just regular Sumac.

Poison Ivy yes and lots of it, I have found that Technu Extreme works great as a treatment.

It is also recommended as a scrub after you come back from the field if you suspect contact with a poison plant.

I get mine at Walmart, if you can't find it look to the web.

Have fun.

thank you I will get some to keep on hand:) love being in the field on hunts, much more fun.

Thank you. Yes I'm a little excited lol with all of this , and I am a perfectionist in some areas, I believe in giving 100% if your going to do anything you do it all the way;) That's was why I wanted to ask questions. I didn't want to assume how things are done so I thought to come in a forum and get input from experience. But since this forum I have went and researched many helpful site which answered many of my questions without any drama. I have also found 4 trackables, and will relocate them to North Carolina this weekend. That made me smile haha. I also will be placing 2 cache and 3 TB's I am very excited for all I'm learning and I can honestly say this is a great hobby now:)oh and I have now educated myself on poisonous plants, as I came in contact with poison sumac. , thank goodness for my doctor as he made sure it didn't get out of control.I am still on the hunt. again thank you for your response. You are very kind

Hi gypsy

I have been known to be "rude" in past Forum discussions. I didn't think I was, but we all have different tolerance levels for blunt responses. You could drive a bus over me, back over me for good measure, and then just drive away. And I can handle it. But I do respond a lot less often now. It does save a bit of wear and tear on the newbies. I guess there really is something to the old adage about; if you can't say something nice ... Someone else always comes along with the information.

You had no idea that previous Forum posters had proposed strengthening the guideline wording of a cache owner’s responsibility for TB inventories, or that cachers sometimes post Needs Maintenance for caches if a TB listed in the inventory is not actually there. That didn't sit well with some cache owners, myself included. We even suggested a new feature that prevented adding a TB to the inventory of any of our caches if we were really expected to be that responsible for it.

Good for you that you are excited about all the possibilities that are trackable. But you are now aware that this is not a universal sentiment. And I would not have mentioned any of this except for something quite unrelated that you included in one of your recent replies. And I am not even 100% certain that you meant what I suspect you do.

You mention moving trackables to North Carolina. Immediately after that you said "I also will be placing 2 cache and 3 TB's". Here is the part that is not clear. Did you mean that you will be placing those two caches in while still in NC, or near your home after you return?

How you answer that question makes a big difference. Please do not leave hides behind in North Carolina without FULLY understanding the no vacation caches allowed guideline. I hope I either totally misunderstood your intentions, or prevented you from placing hides that will not get published without a specifically accepted cache maintenance plan. Either way, have a nice trip. And I hope I didn’t come off as rude. It seems I can’t always tell.

Hi gypsy

I have been known to be "rude" in past Forum discussions. I didn't think I was, but we all have different tolerance levels for blunt responses. You could drive a bus over me, back over me for good measure, and then just drive away. And I can handle it. But I do respond a lot less often now. It does save a bit of wear and tear on the newbies. I guess there really is something to the old adage about; if you can't say something nice ... Someone else always comes along with the information.

You had no idea that previous Forum posters had proposed strengthening the guideline wording of a cache owner’s responsibility for TB inventories, or that cachers sometimes post Needs Maintenance for caches if a TB listed in the inventory is not actually there. That didn't sit well with some cache owners, myself included. We even suggested a new feature that prevented adding a TB to the inventory of any of our caches if we were really expected to be that responsible for it.

Good for you that you are excited about all the possibilities that are trackable. But you are now aware that this is not a universal sentiment. And I would not have mentioned any of this except for something quite unrelated that you included in one of your recent replies. And I am not even 100% certain that you meant what I suspect you do.

You mention moving trackables to North Carolina. Immediately after that you said "I also will be placing 2 cache and 3 TB's". Here is the part that is not clear. Did you mean that you will be placing those two caches in while still in NC, or near your home after you return?

How you answer that question makes a big difference. Please do not leave hides behind in North Carolina without FULLY understanding the no vacation caches allowed guideline. I hope I either totally misunderstood your intentions, or prevented you from placing hides that will not get published without a specifically accepted cache maintenance plan. Either way, have a nice trip. And I hope I didn’t come off as rude. It seems I can’t always tell.

Hi , thank you for a well worded response. And you are correct I did not word that well. (excitement lol )I will be taking TB's to North Carolina. I will be placing two Cache once I return home. With out knowing that was a rule, I actually want to be able to take care of any I put out:) I actually am so into this that I have bought lots of supplies, ( ziplocks, pencils, ect..) to help repair on my travels. I just love this. I am taking the TB's I found, and helping them travel, And I am setting out a couple new one from me while in North Carolina :) I hope I worded this ok besides rambling on ...

With out knowing that was a rule, I actually want to be able to take care of any I put out:)

It's a good idea to read the Guidelines over and over and over again before placing caches.

All the text in blue are links that need to be clicked:

Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Another resource is the Help Center. It covers every aspect of geocaching.

Help Center:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

B.

One of the points Fizzy didn't tell you is that the geocache belongs to the cache owner, the trackable belongs to the trackable owner. So as the cache owner you are responsible for the cache, not the contents.

Some people (myself included some days) don't belong in the getting started forums,

Indisputible fact is that the CO also does have the ability to mark a trackable as missing if it's shown in one of their caches' inventories. It may not be their obligation, but it is the mark of a responsible cache owner if they at least take them out of inventory when it's pretty clearly not in there. As someone else said, it's not always obvious unless there are at least two or three logs indicating missing trackables. I haven't been in that position yet, but I personally would not feel put out at all if I found myself needing to clear out the inventory list.