Rules For Trackables

Cachingchecks26

How many trackables should you take from a geceocache? The most I have ever taken is two. Is it okay to take more than two trackables at a time? Also, is it okay to take trackables from your own geocache?

Take as many as you want, as long as you can move them on.

When I cached more regularly any time I was planning an international trip that included time for geocaching I rounded up as many as I could lay my hands on so I could put thousands of miles on them. Then when I was abroad I'd be scattering trackables while also collecting them to bring home, and when I got home I made many caching runs scattering them as far and wide as I sensibly could.

I scattered them so that more than one person would have a chance at getting some new icons, rather than leaving them in a trail of caches only for someone else to follow a day or two later and gather them all up.

If you do take a bunch of trackables from one cache, it might be a good idea to say something in your log about why you're doing so.

"I'm going overseas next week and thought I'd take these trackables on a nice long trip."

"I see that these trackables have been sitting in this cache for eight months now, so I'm taking them with me to further them on their journeys."

"I'm able to help all four trackables with their missions, so I took all four with me."

An explanation in your log will help counter those who might otherwise label you a trackable hog for taking a bunch at once. It's totally fine to take them all as long as you can help them on their missions, but if you're concerned about what others think (and it's ok to not be concerned about that), then an explanation will help.

Although...not too many people will even notice if you take all the trackables at once. Unless we're talking about a TB Hotel, in which case the cache owner will definitely notice and possibly be upset about it (I'm not saying they should be upset about it, but they are likely to at least be irritated).

Both are OK, but just because it's OK doesn't mean you should do it. There's no particular reason for you to pick up all the TBs in a cache if you expect someone else will pick them up tomorrow or the next day. And there's a very good reason not to pick them up if you don't think you'll be able to drop them within a week or two.

I am retrieving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum and dropping it off in the Travel Bug forum.

Would you be a "Thread Hog" if you retrieved all the threads and dropped them off in their appropriate forums?

Can you imagine the names they'd use if he never dropped them off again?! :laughing::surprise::unsure:

Edited by fendmar

How many trackables should you take from a geceocache? The most I have ever taken is two. Is it okay to take more than two trackables at a time? Also, is it okay to take trackables from your own geocache?

The etiquette that I try to follow is not taking a trackable unless I have one to leave in its place. I guess not everyone agrees with that logic. Maybe it's just me, but I get disappointed when a cache is supposed to have one in it and doesn't. It's not about the icons for me, I just really love the concept of trackables and want to be a part of it.

The etiquette that I try to follow is not taking a trackable unless I have one to leave in its place. I guess not everyone agrees with that logic. Maybe it's just me, but I get disappointed when a cache is supposed to have one in it and doesn't. It's not about the icons for me, I just really love the concept of trackables and want to be a part of it.

I used to do that, but nowadays I wouldn't want to hold a TB long enough to find another TB, so I drop as soon as I can and pick up the next TB a month later.