Geo Bag

Hiya Mrs Bobbyleggo.

As you say, this topic was indeed raised a few months ago and has been raised many times before. I doubt that this tranche will reveal anything peculiar from before.

The only difference for us in the winter is that along with all the usual gubbins, we carry spare gloves & socks in the bag :) .

Hi,

In my caching bag there is,

A Small Really Useful Box full of trades

A Poly Packet (With Board inside) containing spare logs and my personalised log stickers

A bag of gripseal bags

A torch

A small screwdriver

A small set of pliers

Spare Film Canister

Sometimes I can load it with snacks and water for long treks too.

The bag is an old Swiss Gear Bag. It's a bit tatty now but it holds what I need it to hold.

Love the profile picture by the way, I deal in lego on a hobby site too.

Well I am new to all this, so we went out yesterday totally unprepared.

We had dirty hands and matt stood in dog dirt and needed to wipe his laces, so, wet wipes are now added to the bag!

We were looking into dark holes between rocks and had no torch so 2 torches have been bought from the pound shop and added to the bag.

And we forgot to take a pen also! So this has been added,

You live and learn :)

Mine's a very small bag with a shoulder strap, which I bought from one of the chain camping and outdoor shops, so doesn't have space for much. What I can comfortably fit inside it is: -

• GPS
  • Spare batteries
  • Pen and pencils
  • Spare log sheets, a spare log book & a few sachets of desiccant
  • Some zip-lock plastic bags
  • Small swag items
  • Torch
  • Hand sanitiser sachets
  • Notebook
  • Mini penknife
  • Folder secateurs/gardening multi-tool (useful for tackling those pesky brambles/nettles when the 6 yo geokid refuses to walk through/past them)
  • Cables for linking my GPS to a PC and to my Android phone
  • A couple of micro caches which I'm yet to hide and a spare one

I have a army Black Ops style rucksack which I have a bladder pouch built in for longer walks or trails

then I have a few things in it like -

Uv torch

Led torch

Couple of pens.

Spare Battery's for GPS.

Spare Log books and grip-seal bags for different size caches.

Some spare Caches couple of 35mm pots and a few bison tubes.

Pair of gloves (and spare socks in winter).

A small solar phone charger.

There is probley something else hiding in there but that's a day to day package I use.

Hand sanitiser. We were told about this and we laughed. We are after all roughty toughty. Until you touch a slug or god knows what that was, or why is this stuff spreading up my hand. Hand sanitiser ... On our 7th bottle. One in bag, one in car, one at home.

Diesal gloves from a petrol station forecourt. Good wadge of them.

Spare logs.

Spare pens.

Penknife.

Magnetic aerial thingy from pound shop.

Mirror on a telescopic rod for looking under benches and in tree nooks.

Spare film pots for if you ping the lid of a find into the bushes or stream.

Petzle head torches and spare batteries all rechargeable which fit in a small lock and lock.

Spare rechargeable batteries - also charged the night before.

Sight compass.

Spare lighter.

Mac in a sac.

Seal skin gloves. Fully waterproof. They do socks as well apparently.

Hat - wooly type.

Pathtags.

Bag for TB's

Tweezers

Food flask for winter and coffee flask.

Water bottles for summer and winter.

First aid kit with bandages and plasters. You will get badly clawed up at times.

Bin bag for CITO or for putting the car matts in. So you still put your feet on them when you inevitably tread in dogs muck.

Roll of food bags. Ideal for dog poo clean up after your geohound or if it's hammering down and your coats not up to the job - placing your mobile in and knotting it up. iPhone still works just fine and is now waterproof.

I'm sure there are a couple of other things now and then but that's the main stuff. Of course food and there is till room in the bag for the coats if it's hot.

If i'm going out for a days caching my bag usually contains spare batteries, pencil case with cache logging essentials, a folder with spare logs, 1-2 small film canisters, small box of trackballs, gloves, torch, another pencil case with magnetic extending pole, some tape, pliers ect, my camera, food, then in another bag which is usually left in the care is change of socks, clothes, shoes. deodorant and hair wax, whips and hand wash, bags for putting over car mats/seats, a towel and then i just stuff anything else in I may think i would need, like rope or a kayak haha!

If i'm going out for a days caching my bag usually contains spare batteries, pencil case with cache logging essentials, a folder with spare logs, 1-2 small film canisters, small box of trackballs, gloves, torch, another pencil case with magnetic extending pole, some tape, pliers ect, my camera, food, then in another bag which is usually left in the care is change of socks, clothes, shoes. deodorant and hair wax, whips and hand wash, bags for putting over car mats/seats, a towel and then i just stuff anything else in I may think i would need, like rope or a kayak haha!

Interesting, what do you use the whips for? :D

It's great to see a few people listing that they carry pens and pencils. So many times on this forum, and others, where similar threads have popped up about listing what you carry with you, I haven't seen pens or pencils listed. IMO a writing implement is the next most important item to carry after a GPSr.

I now carry a neat little Swiss army knife clone that a Geocaching Secret Santa gave me Christmas past that have some tools on it that have been very useful in helping me extract logs from nanos.. something I find real tricky, not least because my eyes are not what they used to be.

Whilst I may, or may not, own a whip, I have not found the need to carry one with me caching.. yet.

Interesting, what do you use the whips for? :D

Hahaha, i forgot to mention my brown leather jacket and satchel too ;)

Edited by squirtchy

Our caching bag contain's the following;

GPS

Spare Rechargable Batteries

Spare Non-Rechargable Batteries (For if we forget to charge the rechargable ones) :)

Torch

Tweezers

At least 4 pen's (i tend to loose a couple on each outing)

Notepad (to jot down any clues we need to keep or to figure out puzzles)

Any TB's we have to drop off

Keep meaning to get a few more thing's together like some plastic gloves, spare log's etc but not got round to it.

Mine's a very small bag with a shoulder strap, which I bought from one of the chain camping and outdoor shops, so doesn't have space for much. What I can comfortably fit inside it is: -

• GPS
  • Spare batteries
  • Pen and pencils
  • Spare log sheets, a spare log book & a few sachets of desiccant
  • Some zip-lock plastic bags
  • Small swag items
  • Torch
  • Hand sanitiser sachets
  • Notebook
  • Mini penknife
  • Folder secateurs/gardening multi-tool (useful for tackling those pesky brambles/nettles when the 6 yo geokid refuses to walk through/past them)
  • Cables for linking my GPS to a PC and to my Android phone
  • A couple of micro caches which I'm yet to hide and a spare one

I've now added a small UV torch and some cheap work gloves.

I use a maxpedition gear slinger with the following:

Nalgine water bottle.

MSR pocket rocket stove.

MSR titan kettle.

Lighter.

GPS

Spare battery's.

Gerber tool

Small torch.

Spare logs.

Pencil.

Pens.

Zip Lock bags.

Gloves.

Mobile phone.

Note pad.

OS Map of the area.

Compass.

Food(soups or pasta).

Nescafe 3 in 1 coffee sachets.

On occasion I've carried a lot of the types of thing already mentioned in this thread, but I normally cache very light, with just a smartphone and a red biro. I can't really extol the virtues of the smartphone enough. It's GPS is accurate, and it's combined in one handy tool with a camera, radio, MP3 player, calculator, moving map, route planner, internet link, etc., etc. It also takes phone calls, but luckily you can turn that off. And at Christmas, my mother-in-law bought me some 3.5mm biros that fit in the headphone jack, so I can even write with it (although I haven't actually been able to bring myself to do this yet!) For the gadget lovers, a USB on-the-go cable and a USB Ant+ adaptor mean I can pick up Chirps with the phone too, but the real geeky add-on is a Pebble smartwatch. This talks to a smartphone over bluetooth, and allows for stealth caching in the city, or hands free while cycling!

One more practical addition to my basic kit has been a safety pin (for the extraction of nano logs) - I've now got these pinned into the lining of most of my bags, as I tend to forget them otherwise.

More esoteric stuff I've carried that has been useful at one time or another includes a magnet on a telescopic stick (for things dropped in holes) and a small laptop (networked via the phone) for field research (when a cellphone screen just isn't big enough). A puncture repair kit proved necessary on one occasion, and large quantities of fluorescent clothing can be surprisingly handy for making oneself less conspicuous!