Can't load Topo map to 64s

I have a 32GB microSD card inserted into my GPS and have tried to download a 24k Topo map to the card. I starts the download but then "times out". I also tried to download the map directly onto the microSD card while inserted to my computer. It still didn't work.

This shouldn't be rocket science so what am I doing wrong? The manual is not being helpful at all. Also I checked my internet connection and tried it while being connected by ethernet cord so it's not my internet connection.

Any ideas?

Sounds like an internet problem and not a card problem. Make sure the card is formatted in FAT32.

We really need more detailed information. Your post is confusing "downloading from a website" versus "downloading to the card". These are distinct and separate things with different possible problems.

Where are you getting the map from and how are you exactly trying to get it?

Sounds like an internet problem and not a card problem. Make sure the card is formatted in FAT32.

We really need more detailed information. Your post is confusing "downloading from a website" versus "downloading to the card". These are distinct and separate things with different possible problems.

Where are you getting the map from and how are you exactly trying to get it?

My apologies. I am new to this type of GPS.

The card is formatted in FAT32. I purchased the GPS in a bundle and it came with a free 24k TOPO map. The instructions told me to register the GPS on garmins website and once I did that there was an option to select my choice in areas for the 24k TOPO map. I was instructed, by garmins webiste, to connect my GPS to my computer by the cord included in the bundle and follow the instructions. The GPS did not have enough memory to fit the map on it so I selected to put the map on the inserted microSD card. I tried that 4x and each time after 20 minutes it "timed out". I say "timed out" because while watching the progress bar...it suddenly goes to a new progress bar at 0% while saying that the download will be finished in a less than a minute. This status remains and never goes away until after 15 minutes I disconnect the GPS and cord from my computer.

I also tried to download the map directly to the chip by placing the microSD card in the converter card and inserting it into my computer and downloading the map directly to the microSD card. That didn't work either.

What I was trying to say in my original post is that it is not my internet connection. I tried three times using my wifi and then hooked my computer directly to my cable box so it didn't get interrupted but still could not get the download to finish.

I am asking if there is anything that I am missing or if the process I am using is the correct one. I'm attempting to trouble shoot

It is a problem between you and the Garmin servers. It could be them. It could be something on your computer like a firewall. It could be your ISP. Lots of possibilities. You need to contact Garmin support. If possible try from a different computer connected to the internet from a different ISP.

FYI, your GPS needs to be connected because these maps are locked to the GPS. The system needs to be able to see your GPS and put the correct files on it so that the maps work on it and not anywhere else. Downloading straight to a card won't work.

It is a problem between you and the Garmin servers. It could be them. It could be something on your computer like a firewall. It could be your ISP. Lots of possibilities. You need to contact Garmin support. If possible try from a different computer connected to the internet from a different ISP.

FYI, your GPS needs to be connected because these maps are locked to the GPS. The system needs to be able to see your GPS and put the correct files on it so that the maps work on it and not anywhere else. Downloading straight to a card won't work.

Ok! Thank you. I will call garmin support and try to get it sorted out.

I have been trying to get my new GPS up and running for this coming weekend but it hasn't been very straightforward. I even had my husband look at it and try, and hes a computer engineer.

Thank you again :)

Heh... This could be problematic if the website requires the use of the communicator plugin that is no longer supported by most browsers.

Heh... This could be problematic if the website requires the use of the communicator plugin that is no longer supported by most browsers.

That could be. I'm not sure how they handle this sort of download, these days. One would hope they do not do that as it would mess up 90% of people.

If that is the case, to rule that out, try using Firefox. I think it still works with Garmin Communicator.