Android and Wherigo

TeamTettamanti

I have a Moto Droid. I downloaded the WhereYouGo app from the market. I downloaded the tutorial cartridge from the Wherigo.com website. Here are a few questions.

1. What format do I need to download the cartridge from Wherigo in? I used Pocket PC but there are other choices.

2. Do I have to rename the cartridge extension to anything or just use it as is?

3. What directory exactly does the cartridge have to be in to work?

I keep getting the "No Wherigo cartridge available. Add cartridge file into /mnt/sdcard/WhereYouGo directory and start WhereYouGo again!" error.

Inside of the WhereYouGo directory is a directory called "cache" and inside that one there is one called "map" and inside that one, one called "tile".

I figured it out myself. Here are the answers to the questions. I accidentally changed the name of the cartridge.

1. What format do I need to download the cartridge from Wherigo in? I used Pocket PC but there are other choices.

Use the Pocket PC format

2. Do I have to rename the cartridge extension to anything or just use it as is?

Use it as is

On the SD card, there is a WhereYouGo directory. Put it in that directory.

Have you had any luck with using this app? I did the tutorial and it seemed to work fine, but then when i actually tried to use it for a Wherigo cache I couldn't get it to work properly. Just wondering if you've had better luck than me?

I used the Whereyougo app on my Droid Eris with a cartridge in Veterans Park in Louisville KY, first three stages all worked well, including me providing input at one of the stages. Everything seemed to work fine right up until my battery died! I'll be back in Louisville next week and plan on finishing the cartridge.

I used the Whereyougo app on my Droid Eris with a cartridge in Veterans Park in Louisville KY...

Too bad we didn't see each other. I was up there over Labor Day, doing caches and cartridges in the area. While in that same park, I met the author of the cartridge in Lexington. We did the Louisville one together.

Now if I can only catch up on logging... I don't do copy and paste.

Published this one just prior to Geowoodstock VIII (GC2AY6Y)

Over 400+ logs and not many complaints of crashes.

Tested using Colorados, Oregons and Androids.

Oregon 550 has some issues depending on firmware date.

Droid using Whereyougo app seems to work very well.

I have yet to see a FC doing other Wherigo cartridges using

Droid and WhereYouGo.

I am building more cartrdges now and will be populating Puget Sound with

more Wherigo CACHES. Working on a tough one very near Groundspeak

and maybe that will gain some more interest in this unique game.

I have a HTC Desire, and now have Wherigo working.

1) Download the 'WhereYouGo' from the Android Market. If you run the app it will say no file found at " mnt/sdcard/whereyougo/ ". This is misleading for the Desire user - so IGNORE.

2) Connect your Desire to the PC via USB. Link as an external drive

3) Download the cartridge, and save to the exernal drives' WhereYouGo folder.

Thats it !!

Now start the app and you, and the WhereYouGo app, should see the cartridge(s) that you downloaded.

Enjoy :rolleyes:

I downloaded the Where You Go app for my Droid Thunderbolt and it is useless, cartriges do not work and the program locks up. So my word is....Come on Groundspeak get with the Android program and get an official app out there, I do not know why you cater to the Iphone crowd over the Android users. I am sure the android market has more phones out there than the Iphones! :sad:

I just used the Wherigo application for the first time today, and it did work, although it was a bit twitchy. You had to actually leave a "zone" before it would accept the answer to the question for that zone, otherwise it hung up the phone.

My problem is - on two Android phones, we have saved log files, but none of them has a .gws extension. There are .gwc, .gwl, and .ows files, none of which are recognized as valid log files even if I rename them as .gws. I also didn't see any completion code at the final stop, although I may have missed it.

I hate that I just drove an hour each way and spent over 2 hours walking in 90-plus temperatures and don't get a smiley.

Hi everyone,

I am new to Wherigo and 1 year in GeoCaching. I am not great with computers and I spent almost an entire night working on Wherigo and this is what I found out. The android market has Whereyougo, which is an app that plays the cartridges. This is how I got it to work.

1) Get the app and install it

2) Plug your Droid into your computers USP port and set your phone as a storage device or external hard drive.

3) Find the game you want and download it, using the Pocket PC download

4) Save the cartidge or game onto your phone sd card (it acts like a hard drive) DO NOT save it to your Whereyougo folder!!!!! yet

5) After you have save it then drag and drop it into your Whereyougo folder.

My son and I worked on this for 2 hours, but we finally got it to save and load. Make sure your settings are correct for using it as a hard drive. On my computer I have 8 different ports for Sd cards and other devices so we had to search for the one that had my phone stuff on it. For some reason we had to trying loading it up a couple of time and turning on and off the phone the fisr time for it to work. But our second cartidge it loaded like a breeze. (To bad we could not get Whacky Lacky to work)

But the player tutorial worked great, it was fun.

I hope this helps someone, because it is fun to play and do. If anyone has any other tips let me know.

Spoons1

I have a HTC Desire, and now have Wherigo working.

1) Download the 'WhereYouGo' from the Android Market. If you run the app it will say no file found at " mnt/sdcard/whereyougo/ ". This is misleading for the Desire user - so IGNORE.

2) Connect your Desire to the PC via USB. Link as an external drive

3) Download the cartridge, and save to the exernal drives' WhereYouGo folder.

Thats it !!

Now start the app and you, and the WhereYouGo app, should see the cartridge(s) that you downloaded.

Enjoy :rolleyes:

This also works for the HTC Wildfire. :D

I have downloaded some Wherigo play anywhere cartidges onto my android phone having read this thread but haven't had chance to try them out yet (it's pouring with rain at the moment so I think I'll wait until it dries up.) I just wondered whether the Wherigos run the battery out quickly, could it shut off before I'm finished? Also, can you save the Wherigo - I could easily get a spare phone battery so could I save when the battery got low then switch batteries to continue?

Edited by Hawkins2

I figured it out myself. Here are the answers to the questions. I accidentally changed the name of the cartridge.

Use the Pocket PC format

Use it as is

How do you find the SD card directory to add the cartridge?

Use the Pocket PC format

Use it as is

How do you find the SD card directory to add the cartridge?

Thanks for the help because I couldn't get it to work either & after doing one of these with another friend I am hooked.

For anyone else, when you plug your phone into your PC, the main directory you see should be your SD card - you'll see folders for downloads & the like and near the bottom (if you sort alphabetically) you will see WhereYouGo. That is the directory it goes in. I had to reboot my phone to get it to work, but it does. Hopefully be testing it soon depending on the weather.

Thanks again

:)

Patti

Hi. I used WhereYouGo on my Android last summer when I was in Michigan (I did six), but I just couldn't get it to work just now. I figured out why and thought I would share in case someone else has the problem.

You CANNOT download the cartridge directly on to your phone (at least I couldn't). It looks to me like only part of the gwc file dowloads if you try this. You must download the file to your PC, then connect your phone and copy it as described above. So if you're using it on a caching road trip, planning is essential.

Enjoy

You CANNOT download the cartridge directly on to your phone (at least I couldn't). It looks to me like only part of the gwc file dowloads if you try this. You must download the file to your PC, then connect your phone and copy it as described above. So if you're using it on a caching road trip, planning is essential.

More specifically, you cannot download the cartridge directly on your phone from the Wherigo site. If I download the file elsewhere and download it on my phone from an e-mail account or even through Dropbox, the file works just fine. Still, that doesn't help much if you're traveling around and trying to play on the fly...

Additional info: I'm downloading via the Dolphin browser and not the standard android browser.

I've heard you can download the cartridge using a mobile version of Opera or something. If you don't find it before I get a chance (I'm working on something at the moment), I can put a link to that thread here in a few days.

Download the Pocket PC version from the Wherigo site using the FIREFOX browser.

Be sure to move it from the "download" directory to the "whereyougo" directory after that.

OK, here's my 2 cents worth because I have been screwing around with this for the entire weekend. I messed with Wherigo many years ago when I had a blackberry and there was an app in development I was helping beta test. I had forgotten about it until I was at a mega event last weekend and one of the people I befriended while I was there was doing them on her iPhone. I was like "Oh, so it works on other devices now?" So then I went to the app store that night in the hotel room and found WhereYouGo but the description was a little cloudy and I wasn't sure it was the same game, and dropped it for the rest of that weekend. Now this weekend when I was putting caches back on my GPS after I had cleaned it off for the event I noticed there were a few nearby. So I did more research and got WhereYouGo, set it up as best I could. It was referring to the sdcard for storage, but I didn't have one in this phone so I went to wally world and bought one. Came back, stuck it in the phone, made a directory (that I called wig) on the sdcard, dumped the file on there, went into the app and set that as the directory, and it refused to load it saying I had an invalid cartridge. I screwed around with the other 3 formats, renamed the file (suggested on Wherigo site) and screwed around for the better part of a day.

There was something I noticed and it struck me as odd, so I tested out a theory. On my phone, under Internal Storage, there is a WhereYouGo directory that is already there. So I took the original download and dumped it into THAT directory. The thing I noticed is that before I ever went and bought the sdcard the phone already had a directory called sdcard. In order to get to the one I bought I had to back up a couple levels and choose External Storage/sdcard to find where I put the file. In this case I did not do that. I chose the sdcard folder that was already there, and inside of there was a WhereYouGo folder, and inside of there was the file I dropped in. As soon as I chose that file and went out the app fires right up and works normally!

So apparently on my phone it thinks the INTERNAL STORAGE is already an sdcard (because there is already a folder with that name). Apparently when I installed the app it already created the folder called WhereYouGo, and I just had to go into settings and specify that directory path and I was good.... BUT... (Another Theory) Read the fine print VERY carefully when you go to select the directory. There needs to ALREADY be a .gwc file in that directory when you go in the app to choose the directory BECAUSE IT WANTS YOU TO SELECT A FILE IN THAT DIRECTORY TO COMPLETE THE PROCESS!! After you select the file, when it gets back to the settings screen it only shows the directory name - the filename you chose is not included!

Now when you back out and hit start it will come up with a list of files in that directory, and you to choose one, and away you go!

Some theories: Possibly the directory must be on INTERNAL storage and trying to use an add-on SD card doesn't work. Possibly the directory name HAS to be WhereYouGo. I started out by adding in an SD card, and I named my directory on that card "wig". So maybe it was the directory name, or maybe it was the fact that I was on an external sdcard. I am done ruling out the issues now because it appears to work.

Hope this helps. I'm sure if these work when I drive over to try it out I will be quite hooked!