How to set up my first multi-cache

astroadam

I have decided to place a five stage multi-cache as my town's (and my own) geocache, but I am unsure of how to list them on the site. What I would like to do is have all five cache's listed on geocaching, but have only the first one visible. When you find one, it would have the number (GC*****) for the next stage inside. Is this possible? :anitongue:

While that may be possible, It sounds like you should go out and do some more caching before you hide your own. 9 finds is not enough to understand the "game" IMO, you will learn so much. Try finding a local multi cache before you hide your own and you will see how most of them are done.

A multi-cache will have only one GCxxxxx number for the entire cache, no matter how many stages. One way to create a multi-cache is to have the coordinates for stage 2 at stage 1, the coordinates for stage 3 at stage 2, and so on.

If each "stage" is going to have its own GCxxxxx number, then (1) there is no way to hide the description pages for the 2nd through 5th caches; (2) the 1st cache is going to be a traditional, not a multi-cache; (3) the 2nd through 5th caches would be "bonus caches", which are listed as mystery/puzzle caches, and which have the actual coordinates located in another cache (or divided among multiple caches).

Be sure to read the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines before placing a cache. Then go back and read them again.

When you've read them twice, go back and read them a third time so you really understand them.

[edit: grammar and clarity]

Edited by niraD

Thanks for your help folks. I will do it as niraD described and post the coordiantes for each stage in the previous. I am placing these in the town that I live in so if they get muggled, I will be able to replace them quickly. I am setting this up now, hope to have it up by tomorrow.

While that may be possible, It sounds like you should go out and do some more caching before you hide your own. 9 finds is not enough to understand the "game" IMO, you will learn so much. Try finding a local multi cache before you hide your own and you will see how most of them are done.

Kind of harshly stated but I agree. Find a multi-cache or two before placing one of your own.

I too am trying to accomplish this task. And am fully aware of caching, its the actual setup that seems unclear on the Geocaching website. I'm looking for very clear instructions for editing the cache on the site to make sure it come out the way I want it be. I believe I have plenty of experience in caching and hiding them. It's just the editing thing that stumps me. Are there any other sites or books that explain this in detail like pictorials of different types of caches

Kind of harshly stated but I agree. Find a multi-cache or two before placing one of your own.

I'd also suggest hiding a basic traditional cache first just to get a sense of what geocache ownership is all about.

I too am trying to accomplish this task. And am fully aware of caching, its the actual setup that seems unclear on the Geocaching website. I'm looking for very clear instructions for editing the cache on the site to make sure it come out the way I want it be. I believe I have plenty of experience in caching and hiding them. It's just the editing thing that stumps me. Are there any other sites or books that explain this in detail like pictorials of different types of caches

I'm pretty sure the cache submission form used to include a field called "additional waypoints" field for submitting mystery/puzzle caches, parking coordinates, and the stages of multicaches. The reviewer needs to know all the coordinates involved in a cache so he/she can check for saturation.

I'm positive that's the way we submitted our multicache for review, but when I checked earlier today, that field was no longer there.

Now that the site is back up, I just checked again:

http://www.geocaching.com/hide/report.aspx

This the question that prompted me to post a thread here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=288169

Edited by Pup Patrol

I'm pretty sure the cache submission form used to include a field called "additional waypoints" field for submitting mystery/puzzle caches, parking coordinates, and the stages of multicaches. The reviewer needs to know all the coordinates involved in a cache so he/she can check for saturation.

I'm positive that's the way we submitted our multicache for review, but when I checked earlier today, that field was no longer there.

Now that the site is back up, I just checked again:

http://www.geocaching.com/hide/report.aspx

This the question that prompted me to post a thread here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=288169

My fuzzy memory is that it use to be on the initial submission form, but it was move a while back. Didn't see any changes on the submission form today.

Hey there,

I´m going to place a multi cache in my homezone but I´m not sure about the accuracy of the additional (hidden) waypoints, although I averaged them (device: Garmin eTrex 10). So I thought about letting a friend do the cache first to verify the accuracy of the waypoints before uploading the cache on geocaching.com.

The question is: is there any opportunity to create a .gpx-file on pc similar to the .gpx-files used by geocaching.com - that means, that the additional waypoints should be hidden, but there should be the possibility to switch "inside" the cache (on the Device) to "enter next waypoint/cache station", like it is with multi caches on the Garmin.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by stieno

Hey there,

I´m going to place a multi cache in my homezone but I´m not sure about the accuracy of the additional (hidden) waypoints, although I averaged them (device: Garmin eTrex 10). So I thought about letting a friend do the cache first to verify the accuracy of the waypoints before uploading the cache on geocaching.com.

The question is: is there any opportunity to create a .gpx-file on pc similar to the .gpx-files used by geocaching.com - that means, that the additional waypoints should be hidden, but there should be the possibility to switch "inside" the cache (on the Device) to "enter next waypoint/cache station", like it is with multi caches on the Garmin.

Thanks for your help!

Have your friend create a new waypoint in their GPSr once they get the coordinates for the next stage. The Garmin "Next stage" function will only work on a full-fledged geocache, which you won't have access to because it hasn't been published yet. Just give them a printout of the posted coordinates, description, and hint, and let them work their way through it.

Regarding waypoint averaging, keep in mind that you'll get best results if you average on at least 2 different occasions at least 90 minutes apart. If you've already done so, then I wouldn't worry about the accuracy, they're probably pretty good.

Good luck with your cache!