Suggestion for GeoTour/Trail Spreadsheet

I like the spreadsheet and map of the GeoTours and GeoTrails. I would suggest a couple of changes to the map.

1. Make the placemarks a similar size. I like the size of the GeoTrails circles, the GeoTour placemarks are just huge in comparison.

2. Make them different colors. However...

3. Keep them different shapes. That way color blind people can still differentiate between the symbols.

4. If possible, add a legend.

Thanks, Skye.

• Upvote 1

The document is updated. (New link. So be sure to bookmark it if you had the original link bookmarked.)

The creation date is now in the pop-up window when clicking from the map. (FWIW, knowing the creation date is nice. But it's no guarantee that a prize will still be available. I always call or email ahead of time to check.)

The placemarks are now different color. Blue/bigger for GeoTours, Red/smaller for geotrails. There are only two size choices in Google Fusion- small and large. No in-between, unfortunately. Also, not possible to work a legend into it at this time.

Thanks for the update.

On another note, one of the problems is that you can only pick a single location for the trail/tour. Some of these can get cover a lot of territory. I was thinking about adding a radius or area column, but I'm not sure that that would help much. And I doubt that Google Fusion would be able draw circles, or any other shapes. That would also get to be a maintenance nightmare.

Anyhow, the basic idea is to give people an idea of just how how much travel is involved, and how long they may expect it to take to get all of the caches. So, I would like to see the following added to several of the trails/tours in the Notes column.

For the BLM Idaho Land Adventure trail, add 'Caches located throughout the state. Will take more than a day to complete all caches.'

The Washington State Parks should have a similar note; 'Caches located throughout the state. Will take a week or more to complete all caches.'

The Lamprey trail is 'Between Chehalis and Aberdeen, WA. Single day.'

Bigfoot is North Bonneville, WA area, single day.

HQ, local to Fremont, WA, couple of hours walking.

Lane County. Each tour follows a route. Will take up to a week to complete all four tours.

Is there anyway to open up the notes column for editing, rather than asking you to make all of these changes?

Thanks, Skye.

The document is updated. (New link. So be sure to bookmark it if you had the original link bookmarked.)

The creation date is now in the pop-up window when clicking from the map. (FWIW, knowing the creation date is nice. But it's no guarantee that a prize will still be available. I always call or email ahead of time to check.)

The placemarks are now different color. Blue/bigger for GeoTours, Red/smaller for geotrails. There are only two size choices in Google Fusion- small and large. No in-between, unfortunately. Also, not possible to work a legend into it at this time.

Thanks for the changes. It looks very informative.

Rock Chalk,

I assume that you know that Google Fusion Tables is being discontinued in about a year. If not, there is a notice at the top of the table when I just viewed it that gives more details.

I know that I and others appreciate the work you have put into maintaining the table of GeoTours and Reward Trails, and hope that you can continue to make it available to us.

Thanks!

16 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Where is this spreadsheet? Does it include archived (and noted as such) GeoTours? 

I didn't see a more current thread on this topic.

Did geotours begin in 2015? 

The list is located in this pinned thread: List of GeoTours and geotrails with rewards

The list does not include archived GeoTours or archived reward geotrails.

I don't know off-hand when the first official GeoTour was launched, but it was well before 2015. At least 2013, when the HQ GeoTour began.

Edited by Rock Chalk
44 minutes ago, Rock Chalk said:

The list does not include archived GeoTours or reward geotrails.

I'm confused. I see a reward trail on the map. And the title of the thread makes me think it does include them. 

And if it does not include them, then how is it different than the geo tour map on the geocaching main page? Just trying to figure it all out! 

Edited by Max and 99
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm confused. I see a reward trail on the map. And the title of the thread makes me think it does include them. 

And if it does not include them, then how is it different than the geo tour map on the geocaching main page? Just trying to figure it all out! 

You asked if the list included archived GeoTours. My answer was to say that the list does not include archived GeoTours or archived reward geotrails. I have edited my previous post to make it abundantly clear.

1 hour ago, Rock Chalk said:

You asked if the list included archived GeoTours. My answer was to say that the list does not include archived GeoTours or archived reward geotrails. I have edited my previous post to make it abundantly clear.

Oh! Ok thanks. ?

Edited by Max and 99